“Not what it necessarily appers”
Review of Brasserie Ruhlmann

Brasserie Ruhlmann
Reserve with OpenTable
Brasserie Ruhlmann is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,217 of 14,912 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$25 - US$50
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: 50th street, between 5th and 6th Ave.
Transit: F-D-B-M to Rockefeller Center 6 to 51 St & Lexington Ave. Walk south to 50th St. Walk west towards 5th Ave. 1 to 50th St and Broadway. Walk east towards 5th Ave. N-R subway line to 49 St. and 7th Ave. Walk north to 50th St. Walk east towards 5th Ave.
Description: Enjoy the casual elegance of this French brasserie, centrally located in New York’s Rockefeller Center. It’s a prime location for business lunches, relaxed dinners, holiday celebrations and private events. Spring through Fall our large terrace is an ideal place to gather for dining and cocktails.Visit us and experience French classics in abundance.
Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

Whilst we have been in New York we have eaten at some great places. This one looks great, we sat outside looking at the Rock and the lady who served us was really good. But compared to other places we have eaten, the food was very expensive for what it was and I would find it difficult to recommend for that reason. The food was tasty, well presented etc, but in our view overpriced for what it is.

Reviewed 29 May 2018

I went there for a nice lunch. The staff is friendly and the menu is what you expect from a French Brasserie.

The Restaurant is very nice inside it has lot's of cozy spots and on the menu you can find something you like. The seafood is very fresh and carefully picked.

Winelist is very nice.

Only downside of this place is the horrible music. You have to get used to it and hardly anyone likes it.

Reviewed 25 May 2018 via mobile

Started off as a lovely luncheon, nice location and nice food. They tried to charge us for something we didn’t have, proceeded to conduct themselves in an unacceptable & very rude manner! Head waiter - get another job if you can’t deal with customers nicely!!!!!

Reviewed 24 May 2018

First off, you MUST make reservations at Brasserie Ruhlmann during lunch time. This is a very popular venue for business lunches and every table may be filled by regulars. As a walk-up customer, you will be turned away until after 1pm.

Those regulars are here of a reason: they have good French Bistro style food in a lively environment in a great location. Noisy, crowded, and classic New York.

We started off with a plate of country style pate served with grilled bread, mustard, and cornichons: delicious and so typically French.

My entree was a simply prepared grilled skate wing. This is a dish that is difficult to find on the West Coast, but it is so delicous. The Ruhlmann version requires tremendous skill in the kitchen to make the simple ingredients of fresh seafood, browned butter, lemon, parsley, and capers taste so good. My skate was accompanied by roasted cauliflower and steamed green beans. Yum!

My wife order a Croque Madame which is a fabulous French version of a grilled ham and cheese sandwich topped with fried egg. But the version at Ruhlmann is luxurious compared to what you probably make at home. She could not finish this giant portion, and you probably shouldn't eat it all either.

Wine is availible by the glass if you're having a business lunch or by the bottle if you are celebrating.

1  Thank DoctorM
Reviewed 16 May 2018

DISCLOSURE. WE WALKED OUT AND DIDNT EAT HERE. PLEASE READ THE REVIEW. THE ATTITUDE AND POSTURE OF THE MAITRE'D WAS DESPICABLE.

I dont remember the last time I walked out of a restaurant before the menus were given to us. I am in New York City with my wife for family reasons. One afternoon around May 8th or 9th a around 1:30 pm we were in Rockefeller Center, and decided to eat lunch. We walked past the Brasserie Ruhlmann and decided to go for lunch. There was an older man in front of us not moving very quickly and sort of delayed in his responses to the maitre'd. The maitre d was rude, and abrupt with this man. he became impatient and finally guided the man to a table. He then came back and took us to a table which was connected to a long table of 2s . My wife looked around and seeing several empty tables of 4, asked for something a bit more private. His facial expression changed looked at her sarcastically and then said is this good for you? We looked at each other and said yes and sat down.
We didn't say a word to each other but were thinking the same thing, got up and began to leave the restaurant. My wife went one way but I went over to the Maitre'd and told him we felt he was rude, inappropriate, and unprofessional with us, and totally disrespectful with the older man who had been in front of us. Sadly, I didn't get his name, he said that he was the manager and there was no one else to speak to. He was about 6'2" bald head and had a french accent.
The entire time I was telling him that he upset my wife he didn't say a word. Not one word. he just stared at me. Then he denied that anything had been wrong, there was no attitude etc. But what really surprised me at a restaurant of this standing was that he made no effort to acknowledge there might have been a problem,and if there was to apologize apologize if my wife was upset. Seeing who I was speaking with I walked out of the restaurant. We then went around the corner to Del Friscos for a wonderful lunch.

There is no business that should have an individual like this dealing with the public.
Interestingly, my wife was speaking with 2 waiters with I was having my "conversation with this individual and they told her he has had complaints in the past having an attitude.

Certainly I will never give this place penny, and I am telling everyone I know that this is not the pace to eat in Rockefeller Center. Heaven forbid you have a problem with food or service.