“The BEST cheesecake!”

Ranked #22 of 14,817 Restaurants in New York City
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery
Neighbourhood: Nolita
Description: Eileen's Special Cheesecake opened for business in December, 1975, and arrived in lower Manhattan on December 4, 1976. It was a "ghost town" when I first arrived, but that didn't bother me because the rent was low and I desperately needed a place to bake for my growing wholesale business. I hadn't considered the retail aspects of the business until people started knocking on the door of the bakery wanting to buy cheesecake. With that encouragement, I purchased a bakery case and began to conduct retail business. Soon after our cheesecake attracted the press and we were listed in "Best Bites" in New York Magazine. Radio station WOR rated us "Number One Cheesecake" and we appeared on television quite often whipping up batters of cheesecake. Time passed, and now Cleveland Place is in a popular area where the mix of people and restaurants and shops are so unique. Downtown is becoming the "place to be", and we are actually on most maps now. We survived difficult times, and now "let the good times roll"!
Reviewed 6 November 2017 via mobile

I took my girlfriend to NYC as a surprise trip, she had never been to the US but always wanted to visit New York. One of the 'things to do' was to get a traditional New York cheesecake. Going on reviews we made a visit to Eileen's, and it did not disappoint! They are a good, small size so you can share 2/3 between you, depending how hungry you Are! We had dulce de leche, salted caramel end a peanut butter brittle mousse cake. They were DELICIOUS! They went down very well with a cup of coffee. There were loads of locals coming in when we were there which is always a good sign. Definitely a must do if you are in NYC and after good cheesecake!

1  Thank DanHarvey861
Write a ReviewReviews (1,760)

Reviewed 31 October 2017 via mobile

Wow! This is a real jem, and somewhere that any cheesecake fan has to go. Delicious, perfect portions, friendly service, and all round brilliant culinary NY experience. We walked some distance to find it - but it was worth every step!

Reviewed 24 October 2017

Eileen's Special Cheesecake was featured on the youtube series Worth It! and I was tempted to go here on a trip in New York. I ordered a simple blueberry and cherry topped cheesecake and it was an incredible experience. So far New York's best cheesecake for me!

1  Thank Kiera F
Reviewed 23 October 2017 via mobile

We went there after a large meal. Surprisingly, we were able to eat few cakes each. Unfortunately, I did order some canoli that were... average. But the cheese cake was great, hence the 5 star review.

1  Thank Relu B
Reviewed 22 October 2017

After reading rave reviews, we were expecting the best cheesecake of our lives... it was good, but not the best we'd ever had.The Strawberry cheesecake was very good.

We made the journey specially downtown on the subway to try Eileen's cheesecake; probably wouldn't make the journey again but if nearby it would be worth a visit.