“Wonderful dinner with a wonderful view! ”
Review of Rainbow Room

Rainbow Room
Ranked #223 of 14,911 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Description: Quintessential New York glamour finds its home 65 stories above historic Rockefeller Center. Crowning the timeless Manhattan skyline, the iconic Rainbow Room offers a modern twist on classic old-world charm, tailoring special moments for private events.
Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

My partner and I reserved a table before arriving in New York and was one of our most special evenings. The dinner was absolutely delicious and much to our surprise extremely reasonable in price!
The staff were extremely friendly and attentive, nothing was too much trouble. The bar was rather busy however this never felt like it impacted on to our dining experience as we were placed around the edges by the windows. At any time during or after dinner you are free to walk around the observation deck, which was a lovely end to our meal.
You can just go to the Rockafella for an observational view however we felt this made the most out of our evening and experience!

Reviewed 10 April 2017

Went on 9 April for my husband's birthday. Arrived a little early and asked to wait in a room to the side of the main brunch room. Seemed a little strange as people were eating in there, so we checked we were in the right place. We were. Amazing view out to the statute of liberty etc, so we amused ourselves taking photos. No one asked if we'd like to order a drink while we waited even though there was a bar in there. All seemed a bit weird, but accept we were early.

We were taken to our table at our allotted time. The room is spectacular, a real feast for the eyes and the band made a great atmosphere. Slight disappointment as we were a long way from the windows on a lower part of the floor, but my husband could see the Empire State from his seat and my son was happy - 'closer to the buffet'.

Our waitress came over quite quickly and explained the menu. The buffet element had seafood (oysters, prawns and crab claws), the bacon bar was a highlight, and then lots of options for sweet stuff - fruit, waffles, ice cream, candy floss, pancake bar. The waitress took a drinks order, husband had champagne cosmo (c$16), rest of us just chose from the juice list which was inclusive, water was also not charged for (in the uk it often is so this was a bonus). We had some seafood and then ordered a first course from our waitress, I had crab cake (nice) husband and daughter both had lobster benedict, and son had bacon and egg Benedict which he pronounced as posh egg mcmuffin! They also brought a small bowl of salad and some potatoes and fried onions (not unpleasant but very sweet). We then grazed a bit on the bacon bar etc, before ordering mains. Nice selection, we had burgers and buttermilk chicken. All perfectly ok, although my son had some small shards of what looked like bone in his burger.

Dessert was a highlight, lots of tasty morsels, although to be honest we were flagging at this point. Waitress took order for tea and coffee, which was also included in the $125 brunch price although this wasn't clear until the bill arrived.

The bill was when it all went seriously downhill for me. I gave my credit card which the waitress took away - very bad practise because of fraud and certainly not something that would happen in the UK. When she returned she advised me rudely it had been rejected. I couldn't understand how this would be the case given I hadn't signed or given my pin, but she was adamant and told me I would need to speak to the manager. Now my card is a uk one and my credit card company told me in case of any issues I could reverse charge call back to resolve any authorisation issues. Given this was $600 cheque being processed without pin or signature I'm not surprised it hadn't been initially authorised. The manager arrived, again quite rude, told me he'd tried again and my card was not authorised. I asked to call my bank, was asked to follow him and taken out of the dining room to a phone a long walk away where he tried to call, but because it was international said it wasn't possible and that a reverse charge call also wasn't possible. He then said this was my problem, commenting that their card system is very secure but many international cards get rejected! Thankfully I had another card with me but the whole episode left a very unpleasant taste and was far from handled well. I certainly didn't feel like a valued customer.

So would I recommend it? Maybe. The views are great, but make sure you ask for a window seat. The food was good, not the best I've ever had but pleasant and lots of choice. Make sure if you are from overseas you think about having an alternative payment method if planning to use your credit card. But don't expect fabulous service, they are relying on the location as the draw.

Reviewed 9 April 2017 via mobile

Excellent dining experience on our anniversary, a gorgeous Sunday! A five rating for:
1. Ms. Maria, who took beautiful pictures of us. She is also a beauty, sweet, attentive and certainly an asset to the Rainbow Room;
2. The Happy Anniversary treat and candle (attached is a picture);
3. The lobster, crab and variety of a la carte and buffet selections, including different kinds of meat, crepes, cheeses. Abundance!;
4. Juice drinks are tasty and healthy;
5. The views are spectacular, including the sun's reflection on the crystals all over the windows; hence, its name, Rainbow Room;
6. RR'a ambience is enhanced by its high ceilings and live music of the band!

Suggestion:
Two crepe cooking stove plates would minimize lines.

Thank Elsa C. L
Reviewed 8 April 2017 via mobile

I did not eat at the restaurant, but went for a drink at the affiliated Bar SixtyFive. This bar is at the top floor of the Rockefeller building and you can walk outside on the deck for what is possibly the best view of NYC for the price (free as there is no cover charge to enter the bar). I bought one overpriced drink here, but I still think this experience was a great value considering the view.

Reviewed 7 April 2017

I went to Sunday Brunch here with a friend against my better judgement. $125 for a boozeless brunch, I mean what's up with that. Not even a welcome glass to get you going or anything.

Once you get into the dining area though and see the setup and the view you can see what they are charging for. This brunch is fantastic. I spent a whole day on google looking for a good Sunday brunch in NYC with unlimited real champagne (no luck btw, just lower end ones with sparkling wine), I finally caved into brunch pier pressure to try this one out.

They have a nice spread of meats, cheeses, deserts, seafood, carving station, eggs cook to order station, etc. That is in the center of the room, above you a jazz band plays through the entire brunch.

You're surrounded by amazing views of the NYC skyline as you dine. You also order off the menu, I had the crab cake benedict which was amazing. I only regretting getting it when the person next to me got the lobster benedict which had the meat of an entire lobster claw on it!

Champagne prices there are literally offensive, market up so high you need a small business loan to afford them. We came up with a quick work around to get white wine instead at half the price, same effect! It was even a local area wine that was surprisingly good.

The service wasn't spectacular, especially for the price. But when our guy actually came around or we asked anyone else they were helpful. I'll go back for sure, I might hide a split of wine in my coat the next time around though!

1  Thank fsview11