“Great first experience, need to go back to try more of the menu”

The Crustacean Seafood NYC
Ranked #7,977 of 15,761 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Seafood
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Reviewed 13 April 2015

I got in on a late Acela from Boston and wanted to find something interesting and close to my hotel. After wandering toward Koreatown, I stumbled across CajunSea which I'd never noticed before on a stretch of street that I'd walked by dozens of times before.

Wandering in semi-late on a Sunday night, I thought the place might be close to closing down for the night because it was so empty. I even checked with the bartender to see if the kitchen was still open. Upon confirmation, I decided to sit at the bar and watch the Sox/Yankees game while a mainstream-hipster soundtrack played overhead.

While I REALLY wanted to try the crawfish boil, I just didn't have it in me to eat something so involved. Instead, I opted for an oyster po' boy with cajun fries and a pint of Single Cut's Chocolate Stout on draught. No complaints on any of my choices.

After chatting with the bartender for a bit, I discovered that this place had only been open for about five months. Definitely plan on going back for the full experience the next time I'm in town.

Reviewed 10 March 2015

Went for Happy Hour - cheap beers and buck oysters.

Tams doesn't eat seafood so she had some nice cajun wings and ceasar salad - strong on the anchovies but damn good.

I hate more oysters - Battler creek - they were like butter. The best ever,.

Shrimp Poboy - classic, fresh, perfect.

Julia served us - she was amazing too. For our last night in NY it was a perfect last supper.

We were there on a Sunday and it was quiet - sat at the bar.

Another definite stop on our return visit next year.

Jay

4  Thank Jay-N-Tam
Reviewed 19 February 2015

The name of this restaurant is CajunSea out front and on the Check so it took me a while to find this listing. I think because they are 2 months old they were getting some of the service kinks out. But the food was authentic Cajun. Gumbo, Shrimp Po Boy and the steamed boiled dinners were good. The paper table cloths, bibs and gloves all help that spicy boil from getting all over your NYC business clothes. If for some reason you are craving this ethnic cuisine this place was spot on

1  Thank Carl M
Reviewed 3 February 2015 via mobile

Walked down 34th street towards the Empire State Building shopping and thought about food. Walked down 33rd street back towards Macy's and Penn station and passed a window display that caught my attention " dry ice under shell fish ". How can I go wrong. Looked at the name " Cajunsea " hum??? Asked the wife if she was cool with my selection? She wanted to look at some other restaurants but really she starving. Walked in and instantly the bar was the spot to be at, fresh shell fish at the bar on dry ice. Service was great, prices were ok and the food was good. Don't know if I would take a child under 7 or 8 there but nice place for groups, why? Because they have a lot of dishes that are per pound and its a fun way to eat. They give you a bib and gloves and also a bucket to discard the shells and legs of the crustaceans... Whew happy tummy.

1  Thank Malstyles
Reviewed 8 January 2015

HORRIBLEEEEE!!!!We work right in the neighborhood, we waited an hour and 10 minutes for NO FOOD !!! and not only did no one pay attention to us or come over to the table to say what was going on, every time we looked up to ask they'd ignore me.
They had a slowww wait staff and even slower kitchen, and the manager who lied and doesn't know how to manage bc no food came out. Then he said he'd bag it after i was like what is going on??!!! And he didn't even bag it to go. The 4 of us were so upset that after an hour and 10 minutes to receive NO FOOD or having had a waiter come over to us not even one time to say sorry. THEIR HEADS ARE IN THE CLOUDS and are inconsiderate.!!!! They spent a million dollars on decorations but not put the money on a proper staff. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME !!!!

2  Thank riamig2117