“Good food and family friendly”
Review of Cheri

Reserve with OpenTable
Cheri is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #650 of 14,468 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$0 - US$32
Cuisines: American, French
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Harlem
Description: Experience a unique French private dinner in a "Boutique" restaurant. On the top of the regular menu, each day we create a three-course dinner and other specials with products selected daily from local markets and organic farmers to ensure a "home style cuisine". Foie gras, oysters, escargots, pate maison, filet mignon sauce au poivre, tartares..... Considered by Harlemites as a second home, come feel the warmth created by the piano, dine by the fireplace and enjoy our cozy sofas. Maybe you prefer our big family table, the romantic "top-rated" garden or the terrace on Lenox Avenue, you will always feel at home at "Cheri". Live music almost every day. CHERI OPENING HOURS Monday to Sunday: 5PM - 11PM Saturday & Sunday Brunch: 11AM - 3PM
Reviewed 28 October 2017 via mobile

Nicely appointed, relatively small dining rooms.

Drinks: even though Cheri has only a beer and wine license, the Bloody Maria, which is Cheri’s analogue to a Bloody Mary was one of the best Bloody Marys I have had.

Meal: Six of us had dinner, including an 8 year old and 6 year old. The kids had no trouble finding dishes they liked (there are burgers and cold cut plates). The adults started with onion soup, chicken liver pate and duck pate. All were prepared as expected and quite good.

For main courses, we had beef bourguignon, cassoulet, and angus beef aller retour. All were well prepared and delicious.

Dessert: For dessert we had coconut custard, raspberry tart, chocolate mousse and macaroons. Again, all were good. The chocolate mousse had some sort of crumbs mixed in for texture, so it may not be what someone expecting a classic mousse would expect.

All in all a good value.

Reviewed 28 September 2017

We had dinner last night at Cheri (French). We stopped at the Restaurant by chance and what a great surprise. The food is well prepared, well served and reasonably priced.
We sat on the charming outside garden taking advantage of the warm night.
My wife and I shared the octopus and beef tartar entrees. Both were excellent and portions were generous. Service was efficient and cordial.
Looking forward to coming back next time I am in the neighborhood.

Reviewed 18 September 2017

While working in New York, we stayed in Harlem and right up the street was Cheri! I usually like to go for anything french, so we made reservations during the week.
Cheri has a nice bar scene with tables for drinks on the street, a nice inside area for eating and drinking, and a fantastic outdoor garden in the back.
service was fantastic! staff was very nice, and the food did not disappoint.
We did the pate' and cheeses to start and some nice wine, the list is first class and affordable. french baguette ad toast points. Dinner was amazing! I had the octopus yum and my friend had the lamb burger, just like the one Jaque Pipin makes. very good, one to remember and recommend!

Reviewed 24 August 2017

Friday night is live music night. It was hot out. Though the singers and musicians were talented, the volume was 11 ! We screamed to talk while next to each other. The doors were open and it was 80 degrees inside. We asked to chill the wine, but it still sent out warm after 20 mins. There was only 1 out of 15 entrees that was vegetarian, though we called in advance and were assured they had or would accommodate more options. We had 6 different meals and 4 of them contained string beans - strange. 5 of 6 of us didn't like our meals. The octopus was plain, the steak was overcooked and dry, and the veggie option was string beans and a mishmash casserole. I try to support Harlem digs, but unfortunately it was a bad night... I'm a foodie, and I know Alan has created a very pretty sophisticated spot with a nice outdoor cafe, and gorgeous backyard space - but he has to compliment it by stepping up the kitchen.

Reviewed 11 July 2017

We live in Harlem and had been meaning to check out this place for a while. Sadly, we were extremely underwhelmed, and given the price point, downright unhappy. Let's start with the setting. While the back patio is truly stunning and the front patio is very nice as well, the inside is just...odd. There's a pretty fireplace in the middle of the room with, inexplicably, a large television hanging over it playing whatever movie was on TV at the moment. In addition, during our visit, there was a Destiny's Child album playing their old hits and at some point their version of the Christmas carol, Let It Snow, began to play. Bear in mind, it's July right now, and we were listening to a Christmas carol at a fairly high volume. The bar takes up a large part of the interior space, and it just has a very cheap look to it especially in light of this being a "nice" restaurant. There's a black curtain to the floor in the front, and behind the bar is one of those neon light up signs advertising the specials. I should also mention that they seem to only have a license for beer and wine, so it's not clear why the bar takes up so much space.

On to the food. Nice, warm, seemingly homemade rolls to start, but it was all downhill from there. I had the salmon ceviche and was turned off by a sour smell (credit to the waiter who asked if everything was okay). My husband had the chicken liver pate and it arrived in an unattractive presentation without brioche toasts (they were brought to him on request) and he didn't enjoy the flavor. Main courses ranged from mediocre to good, but were all overpriced given the simplicity. My "stuffed zucchini" was just a split zucchini filled with an overcooked log of lamb burger. My husband's lamb burger was good and the accompanying potatoes were actually delicious.

I wouldn't go back, even for drinks given the fact that they have no liquor license. I do want to mention a very nice waiter who went out of his way to bring a dessert for my father-in-law's birthday.

Alain E, Owner at Cheri, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2017

dear Kerry,
Thanks a lot for taking of your time to review "Chéri"
I'm so sorry that you don't enjoy your dinner. It's very important to me to please all my customers and I'm not only interested by the compliments of the 3000 happy clients that I serve each month.
I always take every remark for serious, not only the numerous 5 stars reviews!
That is probably why "Chéri" is ranked restaurant number 1 in Harlem!
If "Chéri" is considered by many as their second Home, It's not only because of our beautiful garden or the very homey ambiance, the fire place, the grand pianio....It's also because of the quality of the food, organic, consciously handcrafted, and it's important to me to make sure my cuisine is always on the top.
So, once again, thank you for your comment.