Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea
Ranked #204 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 8 October 2017

There was nothing special about this hotel. The bed was lumpy. Could hear neighboring rooms EASILY through the walls. Mildew in the shower. Front desk staff at night were just rude and dismissive. However, the front desk staff in the morning was very helpful and accommodating. Black out curtains were nice. It was close to our destination.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
Sufian U, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We are happy you enjoyed our morning front desk staff and location. However, we are extremely disappointed that the service you received from the evening front desk fell below both your expectations and our standards. Please rest assured that we have addressed your comments with our Front Desk team and have spoken with those team members. Please know that we do try to consistently deliver a superior guest experience. Should you ever find yourself back in town, please give us a chance to show you that our product and service can live up to your expectations.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,117)

Reviewed 3 October 2017

I love staying at this hotel. The staff are very nice across the board and the breakfast staff are wonderful. I stay here 6-8 days per month for work. My favorite of all the Hilton Brands in the neighborhood.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

Was there on a business trip, hotel was clean, well located, well maintained. Price was reasonable but a bit on the high side. Staff were pleasant enough but very confused/ditzy. All interactions were handled in a very different manner and although my objective was always addressed,. I always left the conversation feeling like I was in an episode of candid camera.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

This was the last and worst hotel I've stayed at during my United States trip. Apart from the multiple issues with our room, I am extremely disappointed with this hotel's customer service and am considering lodging a formal complaint.

We unfortunately stayed at this joke of a hotel for 4 nights. If it was at all possible, we would have run for the hills however we simply did not have enough time to find alternate accommodation.

Firstly, it is never acceptable to give your paying customers attitude and rude looks when they are simply frustrated with their substandard room. We were never rude or verbally abusive at any point yet had to stand there and take unprofessional attitudes and laughter from Hilton employees.

- We arrived a few hours early for check-in. Our request for early check in through our booking site was ignored. We were told I would receive a text when the room was ready. Never happened.
- Issue 1: the air conditioning in our double bed room was positioned far too close to my mother's bed and she could not use it for fear of it blowing on her neck and head all night and causing cold. It was sweltering hot in New York our first day and this was an immediate issue. Issue was raised and met with attitude by hotel staff who said there was nothing they could do as all double bed rooms carry the same layout. Next they tried to move us to a single bed room. We did not pay to be cramped into one bed and declined. Further attitude and defeatist comments of 'Well what can we do? You are shooting down our suggestions'. No apologies, nothing. After more pressing (completely civil from our end) we were given one night free.
- Issue 2: WiFi. NON EXISTENT. Do not advertise wifi in all rooms if you cannot provide it. This was a two day struggle where my complaints about non functioning wifi were met with 'you need to see tech support to reset your device'. No need to teach me how to connect to wifi; it is not my issue and not my doing that the wifi will not load pages. I am not prepared to waste time with tech support. In San Francisco, we had a great stay at the Grand Hyatt whose wifi can manage 36 floors of rooms and had no problems with my device so the Hilton's ridiculous excuses insulted our intelligence. We were rudely told to move rooms and when we asked for working wifi guarantee, it was not given. Eventually, I was offered premium wifi for free, which worked IN THE LOBBY ONLY. I discovered this when it failed to work that night when I returned to my room. I gave up and did not raise the issue again due to USELESS customer service. I simply won't come back. Stop lying to your customers. A simple 'wifi available in lobby' in the hotel description would suffice. NO WIFI AVAILABLE IN THE ROOM. A JOKE.
- Other issues: TV remote was half broken and we had to ask for it fixed, noisy outside, when window is open the blinds bang against it and make annoying noises = no air in room, one chair in room intended for two people which is ridiculous, tiny closet space, only one luggage holder for a two person room- again ridiculous and nowhere to put 2nd suitcase. Housekeeping comes knocking and entering the room at 9:45am which is far too early for us and intrusive. Lifts slow.

This hotel is plastered with signs of a customer satisfaction guarantee or no money paid, including at the front desk. Hilarious. We were and are UNSATISFIED.

Front desk ladies at the Hilton Garden Inn Manhattan/ Chelsea, are an embarrassment to the hospitality industry. Firstly, you have a poor attitude and care little about irritated customers who have paid for a proper room and WORKING WIFI. Your snarky expressions and raised voices are not needed here as you were never met with hostility. The only help my mother and I received regarding the premium wifi and TV was not from the front desk women but rather the manager and tech repairman.

I will never stay here again. We gave up on our issues on the 3rd day and enjoyed the beautiful city of New York pushing this sad hotel out of our mind. With how we were treated, I dare say we deserve a full refund. I guess I should mention a few positives- comfortable bed, good location, clean.

Stayed: October 2017
Sufian U, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn New York/Manhattan-Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017

Dear Ashlybee,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea for your recent stay. On behalf of my entire team, I am truly sorry for the deplorable experience you had at our property. We understand how frustrating it is to be accommodated in a noisy room with a “non-existent” internet connection and receive poor customer service from our front desk agents. I am incredibly disappointed to hear of our missteps. Please rest assured, we are in the process of renovating our guest rooms and our internet service. Nonetheless, your evaluation is very important to us as we strive to provide 5-star service at all times. We have shared your feedback with our entire team, and we are immediately re-visiting the training protocol for our Front Office associates. Lastly, we are strongly committed to our satisfaction guarantee. Please contact me directly at Sufian.unseri@hilton.com, as I would love the opportunity to regain your trust in our property and brand.

Reviewed 28 September 2017

The location is fabulous! So close to everything we needed/wanted to do, particularly as we were attending a marriage ceremony and were trying to get together with various parties around town. The hotel was clean, staff was friendly & helpful, bed was comfortable. The staff accommodated us in getting two rooms right next to each other at the end of the same hall -- great for us and our adult children. Wi-fi was fast. We didn't have to use it, but a room refrigerator and microwave oven was in the room ready for our leftovers from various restaurants -- right - we didn't need them because we ate EVERYTHING and had no leftovers! I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family