“Fresh and delicious”

Tripoli Restaurant
Ranked #4,853 of 15,872 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Reviewed 26 April 2016

We had a wonderful meal in this authentic , old school Middle Eastern restaurant, satisfying vegetarians and omnivores with freshly prepared tasty main dishes, crisp, crunchy , flavorful salads, and a generous serving of home baked pita bread for the table. The service was quick and considerate , and the menu offered so many choices. I had a meze platter and a fattoush salad--both were delicious . Friends ordered more olives since they were so different , Lebanese-style. Our group was super-pleased with our orders: felafel , tabouli , cous cous, Greek salad, appetizer platters. We brought our own wine, but wine and other beverages can be ordered, as well as dessert. I have to stress how genuinely good , house made and fresh everything was. Many places on Atlantic Avenue sell bland, oily or over-garlicky or heavy food. Not this place ! Definitely worth a try, and moderately priced. The dining room of this restaurant is below street level, so take the stairs down to this cosy, friendly , delicious place.

Reviewed 26 April 2016

Located at the corner of Atlantic Avenue and Clinton Street in Brooklyn, Tripoli has moved from its street-level location to its party room, one flight down. I ate there recently with a Cypriot friend and a couple of New Yorkers. I hadn't eaten at Tripoli since they made their move downstairs. I was pleasntly surprised to find that everything was improved. We no longer had our view of Atlantic Avenue life, but the new dining room was comfortable and delightfully decorated. The service was better than I remebered. And the food was heavenly. I had the best Middle Eastern meal of my life. My friend from Cyprus, who claims some authority on Mediterranean cuisine, raved about the freshness and authentic quality of the food. I had a Mezze and a Greek salad. The salad was fresh, nicely garnished with feta and a vinaigrette that complimented rather than smothered the fresh greens. The Mezze was perfect. The babaganoush was smokey, with just the right touch of garlic. Without a doubt, it's the best babaganoush I have had in Brooklyn. The same goes for the falafel. It was light, not heavy, but full of flavor. The humus was creamy and rich; fhe feta, olives and pickled vegetables all were extremely good. My friend from Cyprus suggested that the food was so good because it all was prepared in the restaurant from fresh ingredients. The chickpeas were clearly freshly cooked, not canned. The olives were Lebanese, imported by local purveyors, etc.
In the past, I have been disappointed by Tripoli, but if this meal and the move downstairs are the indication of a new spirit in the restaurant, I think they will be on the top of my list of Mediterranean restaurants in New York.
By the way, my friends are wine lovers and brought their own wines to dinner. There was no burdensome corkage fee. The service for the entire meal was friendly and efficient, especially considering that the meals are not pre-made.

Reviewed 29 September 2015

I was at a conference in Brooklyn so I thought it would be a treat to eat on Atlantic Ave at a Lebanese restaurant. I was focused on raw kibbee but they don't make it any longer even though it is still on the menu. I settled for baked kibbee with a side if libne.

My dinner had two generous pieces of kibbee with a large side of lettuce with some sliced tomatoes. The salad had no dressing, so I asked my waiter. He brought me a small dish of what amounted to vinegar with some tasteless spice, like dried parsley, mixed in.

The kibbee did taste good but was a bit over cooked. The libne was bland also, if it was homemade they would have been better off with store bought Greek yogurt.

Lebanese cooking is the finest in the Middle East, this was not a complement to that culture. I ate in the basement which was fine for a single diner but I wouldn't bring a date or friends.

I am Lebanese and I was very disappointed in this place, it's food and its hospitality..

Reviewed 18 September 2015

The decor is like a trip to the Middle East, yet you’re a few blocks from NYC’s East River and the Brooklyn Bridge Park. The food is an experience. Tasty, well-known treats such as shish-kebab, mixed grill, tabouli, lentil soup, hummus and babaganouj. But also a wide range of other middle eastern treats: okra, foul madamas (fava beans with garlic, lemon and parsley -- a favorite of my father’s when we lived in Cairo), hot yogurt soup, fatuous, broiled ground leg of lamb with veggies and spices.... the list goes on. I should add that there are plenty of vegetarian and a few vegan dishes that are also tasty. In an economy without a lot of money, delicious non-meat dishes proliferate.

As for decor, the restaurant has hand carved chairs, with the word Triboli hand engraved, and marble inlaid floors, and even a lit dome over the center table. This restaurant was for decades upstairs, but by renting that space to Swallow coffee shop they have lowered their overhead and put the restaurant downstairs in what wa a catering space. Really is more authentic than the upstairs was, and now is frequented by people in the know... such as me, and you.

1  Thank Donald F
Reviewed 14 August 2015 via mobile

We had the 20 dish Mezze which was very good and plenty of food for the 3 of us.

The place was quiet but the service was quite slow probably because of a lot of takeouts and the number of dishes.

We enjoyed the experience and the owner was quite apologetic for the delay.

Good value too - $45 plus tip for three!