Open today: 10:00 - 20:00
Book In Advance
In high demand - travellers recommend booking ahead!
Why Book on TripAdvisor?

from US$98.75
from US$139.75
from US$107.13
More Info
All reviews matthew broderick les miserables during intermission bathroom lines beautiful theatre stole the show mezzanine seats front row second row singing and dancing orchestra section box office story line new york comet cast stage
Reviewed 17 July 2018 via mobile

My parents and I went to see Carousel at the Imperial Theatre last week. We sat in the center of the front row, mind you, so the review is entirely based upon that so your experience may differ as I've read from other reviewers. The sound quality was great! We were able to sneak a peak into the orchestra pit which was a treat! The usher was polite and helpful! The dancing was phenomenal! Overall, I was very pleased with the theatre and the performance of everyone involved!

Reviewed 16 July 2018 via mobile

I found that as a solo traveller, you can easily get last minute tickets and still get a great seat. This is what happened when I decided to see Carousel the same day as the performance. I ordered through Telecharge and picked up my ticket at the theatre box office 2 hours before the show. I got an aisle seat in the 11th row orchestra so I had a clear view of the performance. Seats were comfy and people were able to walk around or stand in the aisles to stretch during intermission. I was also 3 rows behind one of the actors from TV show Grey’s Anatomy which was a real treat.

Reviewed 14 July 2018

I attended the (relatively) new production of Carousel last week. I will say nothing about the production, which I "listened" to from the right side second row of the balcony. My issue is not exclusively with this theater, all Broadway suffers from varying degrees of over miking and over amplification.

The orchestra pit is buried below the stage with only a narrow opening to the audience. I doubt anyone on the main floor could even see the orchestra. As such, I suppose some miking and re-transmission of the orchestra is required if they are to be heard. But either mediocre microphones in the pit or mediocre speakers high above the stage produced the sound of a virtual orchestra above me that was a poor representation of the real sound of the acoustic instruments.

Of course, the singers were all miked and their voices loudly re-transmitted by speakers high above the stage.

I realize I am probably in a minority feeling that the "Broadway Sound" is too loud and artificial. And I repeat this problem is by no means unique to the Imperial Theater. Just once I'd love to hear one of these shows with the pure sound of instruments and voices with no intervening electronics.

Reviewed 12 July 2018

This is one of the best plays I ever saw.The singing and dancing were outstanding.The performance had excellent scenery.

Reviewed 8 July 2018

While the show was wonderful, the ushers should be re-named "pointers". They no longer usher anyone to their seats, but simply "point" and describe where you are supposed to find your seats.

I realize that these theaters are old, but the seating isn't comfortable at all. Once you're in your seat, you really cannot move. Thank goodness it was summer, I can only imagine if we had been wearing heavy winter clothing.

Also, while I can understand that bathroom usage during a 15 minute intermission is, in itself, quite a production, the attendant was shouting and instructing patrons to "go fast" because there are a lot of people who need to use the facilities.

Date of experience: July 2018
Brian H, Manager at Imperial Theatre, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2018

Hello,

I do apologize that you've had this experience.

We thank you for your patronage.

Best,