“Not the greatest acoustic experience; Sadly too common on Broadway”
Review of Imperial Theatre

Imperial Theatre
Book In Advance
More Info
US$35.00*
and up
Small-Group Broadway Theater District and Times...
Ranked #143 of 1,138 things to do in New York City
Reviewed 14 July 2018

I attended the (relatively) new production of Carousel last week. I will say nothing about the production, which I "listened" to from the right side second row of the balcony. My issue is not exclusively with this theater, all Broadway suffers from varying degrees of over miking and over amplification.

The orchestra pit is buried below the stage with only a narrow opening to the audience. I doubt anyone on the main floor could even see the orchestra. As such, I suppose some miking and re-transmission of the orchestra is required if they are to be heard. But either mediocre microphones in the pit or mediocre speakers high above the stage produced the sound of a virtual orchestra above me that was a poor representation of the real sound of the acoustic instruments.

Of course, the singers were all miked and their voices loudly re-transmitted by speakers high above the stage.

I realize I am probably in a minority feeling that the "Broadway Sound" is too loud and artificial. And I repeat this problem is by no means unique to the Imperial Theater. Just once I'd love to hear one of these shows with the pure sound of instruments and voices with no intervening electronics.

All reviews
in 33 reviews
"cast"
in 69 reviews

Reviewed 12 July 2018

This is one of the best plays I ever saw.The singing and dancing were outstanding.The performance had excellent scenery.

Reviewed 8 July 2018

While the show was wonderful, the ushers should be re-named "pointers". They no longer usher anyone to their seats, but simply "point" and describe where you are supposed to find your seats.

I realize that these theaters are old, but the seating isn't comfortable at all. Once you're in your seat, you really cannot move. Thank goodness it was summer, I can only imagine if we had been wearing heavy winter clothing.

Also, while I can understand that bathroom usage during a 15 minute intermission is, in itself, quite a production, the attendant was shouting and instructing patrons to "go fast" because there are a lot of people who need to use the facilities.

Date of experience: July 2018
Brian H, Manager at Imperial Theatre, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2018

Hello,

I do apologize that you've had this experience.

We thank you for your patronage.

Best,
Brian
Theatre Operations

Reviewed 6 July 2018

The show (Carousel) is terrific. The cast is sensational.
But the Imperial Theatre seats must have been provided by Delta Airlines!
What an uncomfortable two-and-a-half-hours. Really loved intermission so I could stand up!

Date of experience: July 2018
Brian H, Manager at Imperial Theatre, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2018

Hello,

I'm sorry you've had this experience. We thank you for your patronage.

Best,
Brian
Theatre Operations

See more reviews
Reviewed 5 July 2018

Beautiful theater. I have never been to a theater, though, that won't let you take a picture before the show starts. I don't get it. We went to see Carousel. I thought some of the individual performances were good. I thought the story line was odd and hard to follow in places. I had an issue with not being able to bend my knees far enough to be able to sit in my assigned seat. The seats are terribly close together in the balcony. I talked to the house manager and the theater did their best to be accommodating.

Date of experience: June 2018