“Not for everyone”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Lower East Side
Reviewed 27 December 2017 via mobile

Visited on the recommendation of a friend. Very glad we did. A very unique experience that has some parallels to the Soup Nazi of Seinfeld fame. Follow their rules and you'll be fine. Don't and it's at your peril. Also, don't be put off by rhe gruff nature of the service. The food is good, the menu selection voluminous and the surroundings can be added to your eclectic time in NYC.

Reviewed 15 October 2017

The menu is unbelievable! Seriously there has to be a 100 + items on this thing; it was so cool.

I go the Blisters on My sister and my wife got a silver cup with Bacon, Pecan Pancakes, eggs and other goodness.

The place is in the Essex Market in a small stall; so seating is limited because of physics. We waited a bit and had no issues getting a table for two. The guy who waited on us was straight up NYC, friendly enough, but if you are looking for a pretentious preening while ordering… this is not going to be for you.

Our food was Awesome!! got plenty of refills on my Black Coffee (you can forget your no whip skinny Latte) and paid a reasonable CASH price.

I am definitely making this a regular stop when we come thru NYC, thought I heard they are tearing the Market down in a couple of years.

Highly Recommended.

Reviewed 30 July 2017

Honestly, I don't even know where to start. Well, I gave one star, so that star is for the ease of finding the place and location. That was all great. Nice work.

After a search for 'non-vegetarian places where vegetarians can eat' I stumbled upon this place. The first bad is on me, it didn't explicitly indicate anywhere that they would be able to service vegan customers, but I assumed the vegetarian options would be modifiable. This was not the case.

Once seated, our server came to take out order, and I asked 'what would you recommend that would work for a vegan?', the answer was a curt 'nothing' and the server walked away... a little taken back, I considered my wording... once the server returned. I asked again and said, "I am vegan, I understand that your items are vegetarian, but is there anything that is accidentally vegan on the menu, or anything you can suggest". The server then said "we DO NOT make modifications, and if I go back and tell the chef that you are vegan, he is going to ask you to leave"... to which I responded that I wasn't looking for modifications, but information on what is on the menu already, and if it was vegan. The servers response was "are you a REAL vegan? Regardless, I don't know what is in the food, and I can't say if it is vegan or not."

At this point, I gave up... after waiting to eat at the restaurant for 30 minutes, and feeling very hungry, I bit the bullet and went with the mostly likely vegan option, a scrambled tofu curry roti.

When the food arrived, my food arriving 5 minutes later than the two non-vegan ladies that accompanied me, with the server exclaiming "here is your tofu thing", the roti was covered in thin layer of egg. Ok, my bad #2, it happens. I ordered knowing what I was getting in to. In an attempt to salvage some sustenance, I opened up the roti to find an assortment of re-heated frozen vegetables and bland loose tofu with no curry to be found. For the $19 I paid for this thing, I think I could see about 50 cents worth of vegetables.

After a ton of great experiences with restaurants in NYC, this was a serious disappointment, and a bit of a character assassination. If the mantra of the restaurant is "vegan's can go to hell", they should probably post it on a sign out front.

Reviewed 26 March 2017 via mobile

wonderful place and food. There's too much to pick and choose from this place and one can never be disappointed here.

Reviewed 25 February 2017

I read many reviews that raved about the food, but really it was no more than average and certainly over priced for what it was! The serving staff were a mix between snappy and friendly. The experience was quirky but not worth the cost :(

1  Thank joffa21