“French Bistro Without Going to Paris”
Review of Le Monde

Le Monde
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Monde is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,412 of 15,779 Restaurants in New York City
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Morningside Heights
Description: Le Monde celebrates the wonderful Loire Valley which is known as the Garden of France". Much of what is found in the overflowing markets of Paris, originates from this region. The Loire is home to some of the most beautiful and distinctive wines to be found, with many pairing superbly with a wide variety of cuisine. With hundred of cheeses, thousands of different wine producers, sea food, fish and meats, it is not a surprise that the lovely Loire valley excels.
Reviewed 15 February 2017

If staff and diners were speaking French yo'd think you were in Paris. Excellent renditions of classic bistro food. Knowledgeable wait staff. we especiall enjoyed the moules frites and french-stlye omelets.

Reviewed 15 January 2017 via mobile

Everything was perfect! Sensitive service. Ordered the special of the day (something almondine) which was really good!

Reviewed 6 January 2017

Visiting my grandson at Columbia University we decided to end my trip with a three dish typical French meal. The Foie Gras was excellent and went down in style with half a bottle of Champagne. For the entre I chose ovenbaked cod and my grandson a large steak with bearnaise. My cod was prepared to perfection but sad to say we are still waiting for a US chef to deliver a good bearnaise. My Sancerre was nice but the real feat of the evening was their Bordeaux from 2007. I can´t understand how they can serve a wine like that by the glass. So I had to round off the meal with a piece of Brie and a glass of Bordeaux.

Sorry to say we got very worried over the future of Le Monde. There were few guests and most of them seemed to just enjoy the hamburger menue. Maybe people in upper West side don´t enjoy the strengths of the kitchen. The Manager looked very disturbed and we understand him. Probably the premises are too large and so the personell. Our service was perfect but for the seating. The headwaitress seemed to honor the principle of always saving the best tables for the guests that never appeared. Anyway we wish Le Monde all the best and I am sure we will return at my next visit to New York.

Reviewed 3 December 2016

I have been to this restaurant many times during the years, so it was an easy choice when I happened to be in the neighborhood one day in early November. It was a beautiful day, a perfect opportunity to have lunch outside. I was seated, given the menu, but no one showed up for about 20 minutes to take my order, there was no waiter or anyone in sight. Finally I waived down the waiter. I ordered a glass of wine and an antree. 20 minutes later the dish arrived, but the wine was never served. I asked for a manager, the explanation: they have a large party inside... Is this supposed to be an excuse? Am I not being charged the same prices as the large party? The manager offered me a complementary glass of wine. But the damage was already done. The nice pleasant lunch I was looking forward to ended up being a bad experience, full of aggravation. This restaurant is not a cheap place. The service should reflect this fact. Currently it does not. There are plenty of other restaurants in this upper west side neighborhood where the food and service are better than in this restaurant.

Reviewed 17 October 2016

We went on a Saturday night and everything we had was delicious. My wife and I chose the bouillabaisse, featuring fresh red snapper and (too few) mussels. The broth was more of a bisque, but delicious. Grilled salmon was fresh and exceptional and a friend tried the Choucroute Garnie, a tribute to Oktoberfest featuring many wursts. Huge portions, and very tasty.
Very good wines by the glass.
AND...the bread they bring to the table? Some of the best in the city. Ask for more. :)