“Best vegan food I've ever eaten!”
Review of Red Bamboo

Red Bamboo
Ranked #118 of 15,866 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$9 - US$15
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Greenwich Village
Description: Red Bamboo has been a West Village staple for over 15 years providing delicious vegan and vegetarian comfort food. Our tasty menu includes our famous BBQ Buffalo Wings, Creole Soul Chicken and BBQ Ribs with one twist - they are all completely meatless! Our menu is 100% vegetarian and predominantly vegan. With mouth watering desserts from Vegan Treats and Klein's Ice Cream, Red Bamboo is proof that even vegans know how to indulge.
Reviewed 2 May 2017

We visited Red Bamboo on a Tuesday evening around 6pm in late April and were lucky enough to get a table right away. The place is small and they don't take reservations so you're best bet at getting a table seems to be by coming for an early dinner.

I visited Red Bamboo with my boyfriend and brother. I myself have been vegetarian/vegan for years while my boyfriend is semi-vegetarian and my brother is a meat-eater. Both my brother and boyfriend have struggled to like vegetarian food and in particular "fake" meats, and they both loved the food we had at Red Bamboo!

We ordered the popcorn chicken, popcorn shrimp and the buffalo wings as starters to share and all three of them were absolutely awesome. I had the Bamburger as my main which was a regular burger but very good. My company had the chicken gyros and a spicey stir fry with rice. We all enjoyed our meals and agreed it was the best vegetarian/vegan food we'd ever had. Would absolutely recommend this restaurant to vegetarians and meat eaters alike!

The staff were also friendly though the service did feel a little bit rushed, they were quick to give us the check after we'd finished our meals and seemed a bit rushed to get our plates off the table. In their defence, this is a very popular place and they had a queue of people waiting to get a table so it's understandable they have to try to clear people out as quickly as possible.

3  Thank Tina E

Reviewed 10 April 2017 via mobile

Had the barbecue chicken and the Crab Rangoon. Both were excellent. Is all about the texture and the flavors when recreating real meats, and they nailed both!!!

1  Thank Jason G
Reviewed 25 March 2017 via mobile

Dropped in whilst walking by. Great food. Great service. What more could you want?

What's really annoying is TripAdvisor forcing me to write more characters before I can submit this review. Really frustrating when a company tries to control what you can or can't do.

If it wasn't for the good experience at Red Bamboo, I would have just closed the review & not submitted it.

No more reviews from me!!!!!!

1  Thank Tripmantle
Reviewed 12 March 2017

I looked online and found this restaurant to have a 4.5 rating. The reviews looked good and we decided to eat here. There was a long wait, they take no reservations and when we walked in we were told that there would be an hours wait, this is acceptable as we ere a party of 7.

The wait was worth it.

We ordered Buffalo chicken wings, pop corn shrimp and Roti Canai for starters. We were amazed at how good the shrimps tasted. My party had one Vegan and one vegetarian. the rest of them could not believe it was not meat.

We ordered Vegan Wine [Red] by the bottle and ordered 7 different entrees. We could not believe the portions and the taste. The portions were big and the food was yummy.

Will go here again and again if i am here in NYC.

Truly amazing experience all for $200 with tips!! beat that!!

Don't forget to get their desserts!!

1  Thank Y3bug
Reviewed 15 February 2017 via mobile

The place is not too big and simple. This my issue with most vegan places. They are sparsely furnished and more like take out places. The food selection is huge and delicious. I tried the chicken with coconut and it's crunchy, delicious and tasty. Cashew chicken is also out of this world. Vegan ice cream like butter pecan is highly recommended. Overall this is a famous and highly recommended vegan place and a must try.

1  Thank agnes9971