“A reminder that high prices don't guarantee quality”
Review of Daniel

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Upper East Side
Cross street: Park Avenue
Transit: 68th Street stop, #6 Train.
Reviewed 9 September 2018 via mobile

Dinner at Daniel was intended to be the cherry on top for our vacation in nyc. Being rated as the #1 fine dining spot in town and having been to many such establishments in the city, I had high expectations.

The problems started with seating. We were in the lounge area, right next to where the wait staff prepare food, silverware and drinks to go out to the guests. It is very loud and uncomfortable there. This should not be done next to guest seating at a $400+ per head establishment.

The first three courses were very underwhelming. Very small portions, which would be fine if the food was great. I realize this is very subjective but frankly there was not much flavor and what we ate was simply bland, two being salad/radish based and another with very small slices of fish without any pop of flavor. The wait staff brought out these courses immediately after the previous. We felt rushed and the experience of enjoying the meal and conversation was not easily possible.

After the third course, a waiter said "are you ready for desert now?" Already dissatisfied with the meal thus far I said no, I believe there are a few more courses. The gentleman persisted with the bad joke. He thought it was funny, perhaps it usually works but I'm sitting here thinking we are $400 into our meal for 2 and nothing is good so far! It's a bit funny in hindsight.

The strangest thing which happened was that I ordered a cocktail stirred and without ice in a rocks glass. The waiter kindly confirmed, and then brings out a small copper pot with ice in it, with my cocktail glass inside. He placed it on the table as a solution to keeping the drink cold. At this I was a bit shocked and thought it might be a joke, I do not want a copper pot on my dinner table with my drink inside. I thanked him for the gesture but asked that he remove it, which he did promptly. Still unsure if it was an insult, or a mistake, or perhaps this is normal to some people and I am mistaken. Strange.

We did get moved to the main dining room after the third course, which was very nice of the staff to accommodate our request.

The rest of the tasting menu was forgettable, except for the wagyu beef which was quite good albeit mostly cold. The cheese table which was brought out before which was really fantastic, the waiter managing this was very friendly and knowledgeable. The parmesan bread was also very good. Dessert at the end was ok. I'm realizing now that we did not take a single photo of the dishes. We were joking after the meal that we spent all this money on good bread and 50g of wagyu steak.

I'm sorry to say that Daniel was a big and expensive disappointment, and I do not suggest you patronize this restaurant.

2  Thank Kentaro R
KarimG505, General Manager at Daniel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Dear Mr. Roy,

I received your comments regarding your recent visit at Restaurant Daniel and I would very much like to speak with you about your experience.

If you will provide me with a suitable time and a phone number, I will gladly give you a call. Or if you would prefer I can be reached at 212-288-0033 ext.111 or KGuedouar@danielnyc.com at your convenience.

I hope to speak with you soon.

Karim Guedouar, Daniel

Write a ReviewReviews (3,034)

Reviewed 8 September 2018

you will not receive anything less than the purest splendor of delicacies to the finest cuisine alongside impeccable service....i'll keep you in suspense so you can enjoy for yourself...just go and see ! Merci Beaucoup Daniel :)

KarimG505, General Manager at Daniel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Chris, It was truly our privilege to provide a memorable dining experience for your pleasure! Thank you for your splendid compliments and recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you again. Warmly, Karim Guedouar, Daniel

Reviewed 5 September 2018 via mobile

French cuisine is the culinary culture extremely unique in the world. The dishes are not only processed meticulously, but also exemplified the solemn and beautiful form that the dish represents.Daniel varied using Vietnamese ingredients to show French cuisine that raised the dish a new level. So now discover some of the French dishes you should try at DanielNormally, the restaurant salad will be ready, but depending on what you want to do with your own, you can ask for it. Delicious sauce mixed with red wine vinegar has a mild sour taste mixed with other mysterious ingredients, making the sauce more special, more refined in the process of enjoying.Spinach with light bitter taste, pungent, sour aftertaste but mildly reconciled with red wine vinegar; plus the delicious fatty salted egg substitute instead of Parmesan cheese make dishes become special with the combination of Vietnamese ingredients, forming a French style appetizer.

2  Thank muniragaripulina
Karim G, General Manager at Daniel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2018

We are truly delighted to know you enjoyed an exceptional dining experience at Daniel. Thank you for sharing your eloquent compliments for our cuisine and we look forward to welcoming you again. Sincerely, Karim Guedouar, Daniel

Reviewed 4 September 2018

I have been to this restaurant 3 times. Every time has been spectacular. The food is exquisite. The staff is great. The decoration is delightful. Everything is throughly thought. Flowers, china, utensils, glasses, bread, wine...there is no possibility of something going wrong.
Best restaurant I have been to.

1  Thank Edgar D

Dear Edgar, We are honored by your high praise, as it is always our aim to provide an unforgettable dining experience. Thank you so much for your continued patronage and for sharing your splendid compliments with us. We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit! Warmly, Karim Guedouar, Daniel

Reviewed 29 August 2018

Really enjoy being able to dine where perfection is practice. The waiter we had was ver good, and time each dish so it arrived on time, not a minute to early or a minute to late. The waiter also described the menu and ask if we had any other questions at all. The Cuisine is excellent as Daniel is a Maitre de Cuisine de France and there are very few of them around. A specialo chef of France.

1  Thank kahntayyab5
Karim G, General Manager at Daniel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2018

Thank you for your lovely compliments. We are so glad you had an exceptional dining experience and enjoyed the professional service you received from our team. We also appreciate your kind words for Chef Daniel and look forward to welcoming you again. Sincerely, Karim Guedouar, Daniel