“Good pizza after a day of sightseeing”

John's of Times Square
Ranked #245 of 14,211 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$0 - US$40
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Description: Located in a unique 19th century church, the country's largest pizzeria is the perfect budget-friendly location for small and large groups to enjoy NY's famous thin-crust, brick oven pizza. Founded in 1997, John's is conveniently located in Times Square, and is the ideal restaurant to enjoy pre- and post-theater meals with family and friends. Capable of seating 400 people, John's can handle groups of any size gracefully in a NY minute
Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

Went here after reading good reviews about the gluten free pizzas. Was a little surprised at the size of the place as the pictures make it look quite intimate, it is NOT! Even though it was busy, we didn't have wait long and we had good service. The pizzas were nice, the gluten free only comes in a 10" but that's still enough if you're not sharing it. Lots of parties and large groups so does get loud but it's a good atmosphere.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,010)

Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

The pizza here is amazing and the staff are always friendly & helpful. The choice of toppings is so great and the final product is the best.

Reviewed 16 September 2017

There is nothing so great as a New York pizza and Johns are a master of the game. You can order the basic and then add every topping you want - be careful it can't turn out expensive but it is so worth it. Hot pizza and an icy cold beer - just what the doctor ordered.

Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

Last night in New York and we knew we needed pizza, but weren't willing to head back to the subway. Headed to John's instead, based primarily on reviews we'd read. Arrived just before 5:30 on a Friday evening and were seated immediately. Restaurant was maybe half full. Waiter came promptly, took our drink order and scurried off to get the kitchen working on our garlic rolls. These rolls were amazing and worth the trip. Fresh pizza dough, cut into rolls, filled with cheese and garlic, baked and brought to the table. One order overfilled my wife and me. Could have stopped there. We ordered the Margherita small, six pieces, with Prosciutto. Great combination. I guzzled my three pieces and was well beyond full. My wife, as usual, struggled to finish her single piece. The last two went to the panhandler down the street. Hope he enjoyed it as much as we did. By the time we left, which was a bit after seven o'clock, there was a line to get in. Service was good, food was good, portions were good sized, and the atmosphere wasn't church but definitely pizza house.

1  Thank EZWash
Reviewed 14 September 2017 via mobile

So disappointed. I specifically went through reviews of good pizza places in NYC, this one was close by and the reviews sounded great.

SO DISAPPOINTED. I wish I had the same good stuff to say.
Apart from the mozzarella garlic rolls (incredible) everything else was below average.

Pizza dry and needed salt, I've never needed to salt a pizza in my life.

The biggest let down, and the part that made me wanna leave as soon as I got here was the service.

Walked in to three people standing at the 'wait to be seated bit' they continued their gossip session and then decided to look at us (standing right there for a few minutes) and the guy just said 'two?' And then walked away (we were meant to follow). We sit down, check the menu... check the menu, decide, stare at menu, stare at menu... 4, I repeat 4, waiters are standing to the side of our table talking in a circle casually. None of them even look in our direction. About 5 other waiters pass our table and then finally a guy approaches us. He was shocking. I asked what one of the drink was and he repeated it's title and stared at me like an idiot. I then asked another question and he responded rudely again. I was visibly annoyed at this point. His attitude sucked and he didn't deserve the gratuity that all these places expect. We still gave it but I was sorely disappointed and annoyed by the entire experience.

2  Thank Salalalalala