“Church of Pizza”

Ranked #250 of 14,216 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$0 - US$40
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Description: Located in a unique 19th century church, the country's largest pizzeria is the perfect budget-friendly location for small and large groups to enjoy NY's famous thin-crust, brick oven pizza. Founded in 1997, John's is conveniently located in Times Square, and is the ideal restaurant to enjoy pre- and post-theater meals with family and friends. Capable of seating 400 people, John's can handle groups of any size gracefully in a NY minute
Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

Last night in New York and we knew we needed pizza, but weren't willing to head back to the subway. Headed to John's instead, based primarily on reviews we'd read. Arrived just before 5:30 on a Friday evening and were seated immediately. Restaurant was maybe half full. Waiter came promptly, took our drink order and scurried off to get the kitchen working on our garlic rolls. These rolls were amazing and worth the trip. Fresh pizza dough, cut into rolls, filled with cheese and garlic, baked and brought to the table. One order overfilled my wife and me. Could have stopped there. We ordered the Margherita small, six pieces, with Prosciutto. Great combination. I guzzled my three pieces and was well beyond full. My wife, as usual, struggled to finish her single piece. The last two went to the panhandler down the street. Hope he enjoyed it as much as we did. By the time we left, which was a bit after seven o'clock, there was a line to get in. Service was good, food was good, portions were good sized, and the atmosphere wasn't church but definitely pizza house.

1  Thank EZWash
Write a ReviewReviews (5,012)

Reviewed 14 September 2017 via mobile

So disappointed. I specifically went through reviews of good pizza places in NYC, this one was close by and the reviews sounded great.

SO DISAPPOINTED. I wish I had the same good stuff to say.
Apart from the mozzarella garlic rolls (incredible) everything else was below average.

Pizza dry and needed salt, I've never needed to salt a pizza in my life.

The biggest let down, and the part that made me wanna leave as soon as I got here was the service.

Walked in to three people standing at the 'wait to be seated bit' they continued their gossip session and then decided to look at us (standing right there for a few minutes) and the guy just said 'two?' And then walked away (we were meant to follow). We sit down, check the menu... check the menu, decide, stare at menu, stare at menu... 4, I repeat 4, waiters are standing to the side of our table talking in a circle casually. None of them even look in our direction. About 5 other waiters pass our table and then finally a guy approaches us. He was shocking. I asked what one of the drink was and he repeated it's title and stared at me like an idiot. I then asked another question and he responded rudely again. I was visibly annoyed at this point. His attitude sucked and he didn't deserve the gratuity that all these places expect. We still gave it but I was sorely disappointed and annoyed by the entire experience.

2  Thank Salalalalala
Reviewed 13 September 2017 via mobile

This is the third time we visit NY in the past 2 years and every time John's is a must! Love their pizza and the garlic rolls is deft a must !!! The service is really good and the ambience is perfect!
Must go!

Reviewed 12 September 2017

we find ourselves eating at John's every time we are visiting in New York ( about once a year.) They are in a cool multilevel building which seems to have been an old church - with pizza ovens where the alters were! John was trained by the place where the first American pizza was sold - and is a traditional New York style brick oven open fire pizza with the crisp burned edges. They sell only whole pies, not by the slice ( also old New York traditional).They have a other things on the menu - we like the calamari, also very crisp with lots of marinara. We always eat so much we are too full for dessert, so I cant review the desserts. People are always eating in John's all through the day and the average patron seems very happy.

1  Thank 2A_j_w
Reviewed 11 September 2017

John's is in a really cool historic building (read the online history before you go) in Times Square--multi-levels with lots of seating for lots of visitors. It is worth going to see the building itself, along with the 4 brick ovens inside! We had heard a lot about this place, so decided to try it on this trip. Arrived close to 7 pm on a Friday, and expected to wait. The hostess told us it would be "about 10-15 mins." and gave us a number. After waiting longer than 10-15 mins. and watching multiple parties who came in after us be seated, I asked where we were in the waiting list. Our number wasn't even on the list. The hostess never apologized (in fact, she never even made eye contact) but another employee seated us right away. Call me picky, but someone should have noticed 2 people standing right near the hostess stand and never being seated. (I did speak with the manager and was comped a glass of wine.) The pizza was average, and expensive--anything besides cheese costs extra. Our waiter was great. I'm glad we went, but definitely think there's room for improvement.