“Best Foie Gras in the City!”

Nougatine at Jean Georges
Reserve with OpenTable
Nougatine at Jean Georges is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #720 of 15,768 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$50 - US$80
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Manhattan
Cross street: 60th St. and 61st Streets
Transit: A C, B, D, or 1 line to 59th Street Columbus Circle.
Description: Jean-Georges opened in 1997 to critical acclaim. The jewel of Chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten’s empire, the restaurant offers the very best in fine dining. Consistently awarded four stars by the New York Times and three Michelin stars, Jean-Georges presents exquisitely crafted dishes blending French, American, and Asian influences. Chef Jean-Georges is a master at maintaining the essence of ingredients while using them inventively to produce the best flavor. Jean-Georges’ chic and intimate dining room was redesigned by Thomas Juul-Hansen, with striking lighting by L’Observatoire. Impeccable service, tableside preparations, and floor-to-ceiling windows with stunning views of Central Park and Columbus Circle all contribute to an unforgettable dining experience. Jean-Georges offers a three-course prix-fixe menu and two six-course tasting menus: a traditional tasting of the chef’s signature dishes, and a seasonal tasting featuring fresh market ingredients.
Reviewed 14 January 2016

We had a most excellent meal here. The ambience was clean and beautifully minimal, the service was impeccable and our starters and entrees were prepared to perfection. The Foie Gras Brulee was one of the most amazing things that I have ever eaten! Truly. And my salmon was flawless - paired well with corn pudding and cherry tomato salad. Absolutely delicious. The desserts? Not so sure.

The presentation of the Poached Peach resembled a dirty ashtray - tiny cigarette butts, popcorn, random bits of lord knows what. Hilarious, yes, but it just didn't come together for me. The fruit wasn't quite ripe or warm and it sat on a bed of chilly peach granita. And the core was full of pistachio cream. And it had popcorn and little sugar butts on it. AND mint and peach chips. The tastes and textures were in total conflict!

Now the Butterscotch Pudding with sea salt and caramel was dreamy. Very very rich, oh-so smooth, presented simply with two biscuits and lovely with a coffee.

Nougatine is deserving of an "Excellent" rating for sure, but I'm deducting one for that damn peach and the fact that I didn't love it all enough to race back.

But you should go. For the Foie Gras. I can't stop thinking about it.

1  Thank julias980
Write a ReviewReviews (1,008)

Reviewed 12 January 2016

My son planned a surprise birthday celebration and what a treat it was. The food the service the ambiance were perfect for a special birthday celebration. The food was exceptional as was the service. The menu had many surprises that I savored

Reviewed 12 January 2016

Well worth visiting for lunch. Prix Fixe menu around $37 for three courses of fresh, well presented food in a pleasant dining room.

Reviewed 9 January 2016

Simply an amazing three-course lunch!! My foodie friends and I have dined here twice and we have enjoyed each visit immensely. The service is five-star; food is five-star; views are five-star. When we were there this visit, Chef Thomas Keller so we knew we were in great company. Worth every penny and really not that expensive for a three-course meal in NY. I'll go back every time if I can!

Reviewed 6 January 2016 via mobile

Pros

-The ambience was rather nice.

Cons

-We had to wait for approximately 20 mins for a table even though we made a reservation in advance

-The customer service definitely pales in comparison to other restaurants in New York (even the ones at pubs). Basically, I found their customer service to be very superficial.

-The food wasn't worth the price I paid. I ordered the pasta with meatballs but the meatballs were far too salty and the sauce was rather bland. I would expect this out of a pre-made can of sauce, not from such an esteemed restaurant.

2  Thank Jackie A