“unpretentious and delicious”
Review of Marseille

Marseille
Reserve with OpenTable
Marseille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #633 of 15,915 Restaurants in New York City
Neighbourhood: Hell's Kitchen
Cross street: 44th Street
Transit: A,C,E,B,D,F,N,R to 42nd Street
Reviewed 21 December 2017

I was underwhelmed when we walked into restaurant- WOW I was wrong. The food was unexpectedly delicious. The petite Bouillabaisse was amazing. Tuna nicoise was great. Our service was attentive without fawning and the wine choice perfect. We were too full for dessert but I can't wait to go back.

Date of visit: December 2017
Write a ReviewReviews (1,058)

Reviewed 21 December 2017

My wife, daughter, and I were in NYC to see a play and wanted a restaurant nearby the theater. Marseile fit the bill perfectly and we were very happy with our choice. The restaurant was decorated for the holidays and along with the warm lighting, the effect was warm, inviting, and cosy. We had an excellent waiter who advised us against ordering the baba au rhum dessert and, just to make his point, brought us one to taste in addition to the desserts we did order. Before the desserts we all ordered from the prix fixe menu. I had a risotto first course, a chicken entree, and then cookies for dessert. We also had a very nice bottle of wine (a very nice Alsatian riesling). All in all, it was a great meal and, along with the play, made for a memorable evening.

Reviewed 13 December 2017

This is a very welcoming restaurant. Attentive waitstaff, knowledgeable but not at all stuffy. Excellent wine and cocktail lists. Good selection of wines by the glass. Four of us all tried something different for appetizers, main courses and desserts. Each choice was superbly prepared. Duck breast to die for. Very nice snails. Kale salad has now become my favorite salad anywhere. Hanger steak fork tender. Moules Frites Mariniere was a treat with the fattest mussels I've ever seen. Great evening.

Reviewed 12 December 2017 via mobile

We were not sure from some of the reviews so decide to look through the window. As lovers of French style restaurant this place made us feel at home. Staff where very friendly and appeared genuine. We had Tuna Salad, Pork Chop with lentils and Fried Calamari. All were well presented and tasty. Well sized portions without being OTT. Good value meal and we would definitely come back.

Reviewed 9 December 2017 via mobile

Onion soup is very authentic. I ordered the roast chicken with sweet potato purée. It was tasty but came with white potato purée. Wait staff should know that the menu has been changed. The Baba Au Rhum for dessert was totally inauthentic. It was made with pound cake. When I told the waiter, he didn’t offer a different choice. That’s the mark of mediocre service. Overall, the place is okay for a theatre district dinner. A little pricey.