“A Safe Bet”

Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: 6th and 7th Avenue
Transit: B, D, E, F, N, Q, R & V, W, 1, 2, 3, subway trains
Description: Le Bernardin, Zagat's top pick for 2013, and awarded the Michelin Guide's coveted 3-stars as well as The New York Times' highest rating of 4-stars, has maintained its status of excellence for over 20 years and its international acclaim as one of the world's top seafood restaurants. Owner/Chef Eric Ripert continues to set unsurpassed standards with his piscatorial paradise and partner Maguy Le Coze's seamless and unparalleled service. *When making your reservation, please indicate in the Special Requests box if you will be attending THEATER so that we may accommodate you appropriately.
Reviewed 10 May 2017

A restaurant that has been in business for so long must be doing something right and after our visit I can understand why it remains one of NYC’s famous dining institutions. Everybody knows Le Bernardin does seafood and if you love seafood it is almost impossible not to have a satisfying meal here. We chose the Chef’s Tasting menu as it seemed a better introduction to the restaurant’s highlights than the slightly shorter Le Bernardin menu, the Chef’s Tasting also including more luxurious ingredients (e.g. lobster, caviar, langoustine, wagyu). A 4-course pris fixe is offered too and this might be a perfect choice for those who have already tried the tasting menus and want to have something different. Le Bernardin is one of those fine dining restaurants where every dish is flawlessly executed and very tasty, but nothing is overly original or challenging. Perhaps some time ago the fusion of classic French with Asian influences (something you get in almost each savoury dish) may have been new, but certainly not nowadays. Presentation is clearly not the top priority, although it would be unfair to complain too much about it – it is just that the chef does not care if all dishes resemble works of art and win Instagram contests. Most of them are accompanied by sauces poured by waiters, so the clean, trimmed look cannot be realistically expected. Having said that the caviar tartare with edible gold embedded in the amberlike dashi gelee is beautiful to look at and the lobster and langoustine dishes are quite pretty, too. The grilled escolar and wagyu beef – the last savoury dish - is a delight, though not necessarily a feast for the eyes. It seems that the black forest cake has evolved from what was offered last year and has become more sophisticated and ‘deconstructed’. Service is impeccable. Wine list is huge and contains reasonably priced bottles. Was it a life changing experience? No. But it was an excellent one and this deserves respect.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,165)

Reviewed 8 May 2017

We had the prix fixe lunch and although there weren't any vegetarian main courses on the menu, they were accommodating and made an off-menu pasta that was not only delicious but also a huge portion! I couldn't finish it, which is pretty unusual for me. I would also like to comment on the dress code for women since I didn't find a lot about it online beforehand - I wore a dress, and while I didn't feel overdressed, there were plenty of women dressed a bit more casually.

Reviewed 8 May 2017

Perhaps my expectations were too high. Service impeccable. Wine pairing amazing however only one dish was memorable, don't get me wrong the food was very good but at this level I expected to be blown away. We had the Le Bernardin tasting menu and in hindsight wished we had taken the priz fix option.

Reviewed 7 May 2017 via mobile

My friend and I had a casual dinner at Le Bernardin in the lounge area. This was my 5th or 6th time at the restaurant over the past 20 years. I make a point of eating at Le B each time I'm in NY for business or pleasure. The quality of food and service remained simply amazing over these years. If you love fish and seafood dishes, this is your paradise!
My most recent meal was as exquisite and delicious as ever. Particularly the main dish of halibut with morels.

Reviewed 4 May 2017

Came on our semi-annual trip to NYC, this time for our anniversary/babymoon. Food was fantastic, unable to indulge in the raw items and wine pairings with the Prix Fixe because I'm expecting, but everything else was wonderful. Dessert was delicious, and ambiance was nice. Servers were attentive and never let our water glasses run low.