“Was great but too crowded”
Review of Balthazar

Balthazar
Reserve with OpenTable
Balthazar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #376 of 15,923 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$0 - US$100
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Neighbourhood: SoHo
Reviewed 1 March 2018

Went for dinner with friends and really enjoyed the food (steak frites, hamburger), the atmosphere however was a bit too much- Tables were very close together and it was noisy- Gland I visited tho-

Date of visit: February 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (5,951)

Reviewed 1 March 2018 via mobile

I just noticed I never wrote a review for this place, which is one of our favorites in NYC. We visit Balthazar each and every time we are in New York.

This time we were there on a Valentines Day. We had a late reservation, so when we got there the restaurant was not as crowded as usual.

We usually order their meat specialties, but this time we went for fish and pasta. My pappardelle with lamb was very good.

The one thing I noticed this time (after more than 10 years as a frequent guest), is that the premises are in real need of some care. I visited the ladies room and it was really dirty, as well as the stairs and mirrors.

Reviewed 28 February 2018

Every time I'm in NY I go to Balthazar (located in Soho)! Be sure to book in advance because it gets VERY busy (even with a reservation, you might have to wait a few minutes). It has the atmosphere of a Parisian french brasserie.The tables are very near each other, and it's always loud, (if you are looking for a quiet place this is not it). The service is ok, but the food is delicious!!!! They have a goat cheese tart to die for! And the eggs bennedict are for sure one of the best in town. They have their own bakery right next door, be sure to give it a try as well. You wont be disappointed!!

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed 26 February 2018 via mobile

Booked the restaurant for my lovely ladies birthday. The place is still great I have been a couple of times before but a few years back so hoped it would be as good. Not to worry it was awesome. Foie gras mousse and scallops with romansco cauliflower risotto for starters both superb!!! Moules and steak frites for mains both executed to perfection. We shared a perfect apple Tatin for dessert. Bread is as good as anything in France and I know my Bread!!! Service is fantastic and atmosphere and ambience is buzzing.

It's a must visit in New York!!!!

Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

Been hear about 7 or 8 times over the last 10 years (sort of a must as part of the trip) and its never failed to impress.
Sunday brunch is always my fav but you need to book a while in advance.
Apple cinnamon Pancakes for me, corn beef hash & eggs for the other half & my son had a burger. Conversational basket of pastries for the table is a must too. Great coffee too. Friendly service.
Even had some cinnamon buns to go. We’ll be back.