“Cash Only”
Review of The Boil

The Boil
Reserve with OpenTable
The Boil is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #133 of 14,908 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Bowery
Reviewed 1 July 2017 via mobile

We sat at the bar and had great service and really enjoyed the food. I had the shrimp and crawfish combo and my wife had the snow crab legs. The food was delivered very quickly. The place is very small so I would recommend making a reservation and it's cash only which I did not know.

Reviewed 18 June 2017 via mobile

Be ready to wait! Small place cannot accommodate more than 8. Limited menu seafood, crawfish lovers welcome. Friendly staff! Quick service. Spicy!!!! Highly recommend!

Reviewed 29 May 2017 via mobile

It's tough to find crawfish in New York, so off to The Boil we went. Ran into a buzz saw of poor service. Ordered two gumbos and an order of oyster sliders to start. Waited nearly 40 minutes and no food had arrived. Asked our waitress to check on the gumbos, and she said something like "it's coming, they have to make it." Well, it wasn't coming and they weren't making it. A couple minutes later, our entree, 2 lbs of crawfish showed up. I told the guy, he took the crawfish back, and about 10 minutes later the gumbo and sliders showed up. Sliders were excellent. The gumbo was very very tasty, but had very small flecks of chicken and sausage and one large head-on shrimp. I guess you could do worse for $8. The menu was confusing when it came to crawfish "sauces". I wanted straight Cajun crawfish as if made with Zatarains or Louisiana Crawfish boil spices. I said "Cajun style". What came out was loaded with butter and garlic. They have a sauce on the menu called "butter and garlic" so I assume that's what I got. It was really really tasty, but again, not what I was looking for. To add to the confusion, the names of the sauces are different on the chalkboard above the kitchen than on the menu. We ordered a side of potatoes and they never showed up, either but at least we weren't charged for them. So to sum up, if you can get past the spotty service, this might cure your craving for Cajun food in NYC. Or it might not.

1  Thank Newsdork
Reviewed 22 May 2017 via mobile

Went here last Friday with a few friends (no reservations) The wait was supposed to be anywhere from 25-30 mins. While we waited we had a cocktail. For $10 it was ok, however it didn't take my mind off of the wait now being closer to 45 mins. I was extremely hungry so this annoyed me, but not as much as the wait for the food. I ordered shrimp and lobster. My company had shrimp and crab legs. It felt like we waited about 35 mins for the food. Although the wait was super long altogether, the food made me want to come back over and over. It was delicious and well seasoned. If you can't decide on the garlic butter or spicy, try the house blend. It's like everything in one. The Anita Purple Haze beer was a nice pairing as well. Be prepared for a wait, even with reservations but the food will kinda sorta make u forget about it.

Reviewed 22 May 2017 via mobile

If you're looking for a nice home cook seafood meal The Boil is the place to be. It's a small diamond in the rough in New York City the food is to die for. The restaurant is a little small but the food comes with big flavors and a belly full. They give you rubber gloves to put on while you eat but there is nothing like eating and licking your fingers get the taste of all the goody good stuff so I don't wear them. It's not a first date kind of place because the food is so good you spend most of the time eating and it gets a little messy when you eat in crabs, crawfish and shrimp you just want to eat because the food is that good. So if you're ever in New York City need a good spot to eat The Boil is the place to be.