“A little girls dream!”

American Girl Place New York
Ranked #32 of 885 Shopping in New York City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Spend a day making memories as you browse dolls, accessories, outfits, and best-selling fiction and advice books. Enjoy dining at the Cafe with rotating menus of kid-friendly fare for lunch, dinner, weekend brunch, and afternoon teas. For special celebrations, guests can customize birthday packages in the Cafe’s private dining room. At the American Girl Salon, girls can join their dolls in getting matching hairstyles, mini manicures, and ear-piercing. Girls can also design their own TrulyMe doll along with doll and girl-sized apparel in the Create Your Own Design Studio. Familiar services like personal shopping, concierge, coat check, and doll hospital admission services are also available.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Reviewed 20 March 2012

My mother, sister neice and I went for my neice's 7th birthday this past week. the store opened at 10 and we arrived around 9:45 to a few people in line and by 10 the line was around the corner. The store is 3 floors of a little girls dream. We first went to the conceirge desk to check in. Then we jotted up the escalator to the hair salon where my neice could choose between 20 hair syles and ear piercing what she wanted done to her dolls. The hair stylists were very friendly. We then shopped and shopped and shopped until my neice had her photo appt. where she was able to pose with her dolls and for a fee of course the picture could be printed on top of an American Girl catalog. We also enjoyed lunch in the Daisy Room it was delicious and they provided little chairs for the dolls so that they could sit at the table with you. (They also have loaner dolls incase there is a child without their doll) Since it was my neice's b-day my sister had prearranged for a birthday lunch so party hats for the birthday girl and her dolls as well as a birthday cake were provided. After almost 5 hours and purchases had been made we left with smiles and happy memories. the expericene was expensive but if it is in the budget it is worth it!

2  Thank TravelingLadyT
in 6 reviews
"ave"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed 15 March 2012

As a Christmas gift for our 12 year old daughter we splurged on a girls weekend in NYC with the main attraction being American Girl (dad stayed home with baby brother). It was a wonderful experience. I had booked a personal shopper for 10:30am. We arrived a few minutes early & went directly up to the personal shopping room. Our personal shopper Maria arrived & she was wonderful, so friendly & amazingly helpful. Her & my daughter went thru the catalogue and my daughter quickly picked out the items she wanted to potentially purchase. My aunt was along with us & Maria also helped her secretly pick out a Christmas present for my daughter. While Maria was gathering our items we went to check out the store & to pick up a few exclusives. It was CRAZY busy by then. Busier than I have ever seen ANY store in my life. After that madness I was so happy to be able to return to the quiet room & comfy couches to look over everything Maria had found for us. Once we were done we were able to check out right there...NO lineups!! Getting out of the store was total madness because of the crowds....people were even lined up outside to get IN. That is something I have never in my life experienced!
We will be back, even though my daughter is soon approaching her teens years AG is more of a collection/hobby than simply a doll.
Also as an added bonus about a month before our visit I had called the store & purchased a few Kanani items before they sold out & was able to simply pick them up when we arrived in NYC. I was emailed a receipt so I would have proof of purchase. I noticed on the bottom of the receipt a website to fill out a survey. I filled out a survey and soon after our visit to NYC I received an email saying I had won a $100 American Girl gift card. The gift card arrived personalized with my daughter's name & she was able to get a free doll (I paid for the shipping & a couple extra items).

We couldn't be happier with our experience at American Girl Place New York.

1  Thank Carla V
Reviewed 12 March 2012

They can treat you anyway they want because they have no competition. We bought our daughter an American Doll a year ago, the eyebrow got rubbed out. We called the main call center and we spoke to the supervisor Michelle. She told us to go down to the NYC store and they will replace the doll with a new one.
We take a trip to the store , go to customer service and they tell us that they never heard of that and we have to send it to the hospital and pay $39 to apply a new eyebrow.

6  Thank nokidsathilton
Reviewed 22 February 2012

My ten year old daughter and I had dinner at the American Girl Cafe to celebrate our weekend together. My daughter loved the food. There are special chairs for the dolls to sit at the table with you. It was a fun night.