“Amazing Hotel, Location and Price!!!!”
Review of Sohotel

Sohotel
Ranked #278 of 467 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing Hotel, Location and Price!!!!”
Reviewed 10 March 2012

My friend and I travelled to NYC in February 2012. It was my first time in NYC and his second. We both wanted some time in NYC, and decided to book a hotel for 9 nights. That hotel was the Sohotel.

It was recommended to me by a fellow New Yorker, and it did not disappoint . The staff were fantastic, and your trip will not be complete without meeting Singh or Junior, amongst others.

The location is phenomenal. You are situated in Little Italy/Chinatown. Take a walk and some of the scenery is straight out a movie. Walk a few blocks to Mulberry where you will find a bar of the same name. The Sopranos and many other movies have been shot here.

Our room was clean, big enough for our needs (sleeping and washing) and had cable TV and an iPod docking station so you could play your music, nice touch.

The rooms were always cleaned and the staff were not intrusive at all.

If you want some criticisms, well here they are but they are tiny. I am a very light sleeper, and find it incredibly hard to sleep when there is noise. The windows are very thin and you can hear the traffic at times including the fire sirens and police sirens, but it honestly didn't affect my sleep at all, I slept very well for my entire 9 days, as did my friend, and I kind of liked the noise, as it reminded me of all my favourite movies. That said the original Ghostbusters building from the 1984 film is really close by, and is situated right next to a superb little diner called the square diner. The Pancakes were amazing. Sorry, I am going off on a tangent.

You will occasionally hear a bit of noise from some revellers, but hey they are on holiday to, so as long as they are not to loud, I am fine with that.

So to conclude, My experience at the hotel was fantastic, and it is worth noting that they have only recently refurbished a lot of their rooms, and it shows. Going in February was always going to be quieter, but I really can't fault this hotel, and I hope you give it a shot to as it is very affordable and in a great location.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Adrian J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2012

the staff were really nice & the FAMILY room was clean & roomy, comfy beds, bathroom good. major problem, noise outside, double glazing would be good idea but if the window shut it would make huge difference. Noisy radiator hourly let off air, reachin crescendo-quite scarey in middle of night! next to a fire station, sirens every hour of the night, sleep impossible! Tea/coffee provided but not in room, in entrance. Earlier comment "hear fly fart" not exaggeration, we thought we were on work experience with ny fire dept!

Room Tip: ask for room away from main road, don't think that will make a diff to noise level
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Hollidaysburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 February 2012

My wife and I have traveled to Manhattan many times over the last 15 years and have stayed in a number of places. However, I have to admit, that the Sohotel is super, super, super!

First. All the personnel from check-in to check-out are SUPER. They are friendly, helpful and efficient.

Second. The room looked to be newly remodeled and actually one of the bigger rooms I have experienced in New York with a flat screen TV. Not only that, It was SUPER clean ! Everything and everywhere. Even the bathroom could have passed a Navy Captains inspection!

Third. The price was more than reasonable, and considering the friendly staff, spotless room, and great downtown location, it was SUPER !

We won't wait for the next Giants Superbowl parade to stay there again !

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 February 2012

A conveniently located hotel, just blocks from Canal Street, the "Village", Little Italy, and Chinatown -- this property has too many weaknesses to be considered a place to stay. While the staff are helpful and courteous, the rooms are noisy, small, and overall disappointing. For a few additional dollars there are better choices for the NYC traveller.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple