“Cute and Quaint, But Once Is Enough”
Review of Central Park Zoo

US$40.50*
Big Bus New York Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
Ranked #110 of 1,140 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Oasis of wildlife in downtown Manhattan where visitors can encounter more than 1,400 animals in a variety of habitats, including a tropical rain forest to view rare birds and icy Antarctica to view penguins and other chilly creatures.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

First time in NYC, in Central Park, so of course a trip to the zoo was a must. When I paid I didn't think it was too bad of a price, but then when we walked around and saw how small it was, I felt the entry price was a little steep. If ever in NYC again, I wouldn't return. Also, the children's zoo was silly. You couldn't pet any of the animals in the zoo. It was a few goats, a cow, and a few other things. I'd skip the children's zoo if you go.

1  Thank wonderlust86
Write a ReviewReviews (2,673)

Reviewed 10 November 2017

Even on a cold November day, there were still lots of people. It's definitely a treat, with lots of exhibits and friendly and fun staff. check out the childrens zoo too and the theater.

Reviewed 8 November 2017

I will start by saying my 10 yr old daughter loves Red Panda and as soon as she saw they had some there, it was a must see. The cost of admission was really reasonable. we did not get the 4D movie option. I think it was like $12 and adult and $7-$9 per child.
We started with the indoor exhibit and I was surprised by how much was in it. Lots to see and do plus it was really warm which felt nice because it was a chilly day out. Then it was off to the Red Pandas. I must say we were surprised by how close they were. We have seen many other zoo exhibits and this one felt like they were right there. There were 2 of them and I don't know if they just ate or what but they were super active and so much fun to watch. The have a snow leopard exhibit but we did not see the leopard. Probably sleeping. The penguin area was nice too and then we saw them feeding the sea lions. Great for little kids as it is small and contained.

Reviewed 7 November 2017 via mobile

Very cheap to get into, easily accessible from the park and simple to navigate. But it’s old, tired and quite sad. The animals aren’t in a breeding program, there’s no welfare work. They’re literally locked up here for us to gawp at. Small enclosures, animals that are obviously bored.

I empathise for the staff but it’s a bad zoo and it’s the kind of place we shouldn’t be supporting. Sorry guys.

3  Thank Ryan H
Reviewed 5 November 2017

As the title says, we loved the zoo so much (honestly it's great value for money) that we went on the first day and the last day of our holiday - I could have watched the sea lions for hours. Really helpful staff, not too crowded, and not a zoo that you walk your feet off in before you've actually got anywhere.