All reviews grand street never felt unsafe booked rooms easy walking distance stayed here for nights central park
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I traveled to NY with my husband and my son in June 2011. We booked a room here for 1 week. The hotel was very basic. There were 2 double beds and a TV with cable. The room was very small. It has air conditioner. The location was very convenient. You can walk to all the affordable restaurants in Chinatown. Little Itaty is only a couple of blocks away. Subway station is only a block walk. We were out all day and only came back to sleep. It was quite safe even at night. You can ask the front clerk for car service to the airport if needed. We took a taxi from JFK airport to the hotel. If you like to go out at night, there were lots of bars that are within walking distance. Internet service was provided.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank adhn
Reviewed 11 June 2011

We stayed here for 4 nights. It was a last minute find as i didnt realise how exy accom was in NYC and how much it was booked up. Very convenient location to two metro lines that get you pretty much anywhere in nyc. So location is excellent. We spent most time out and about so crashing for night was no biggie. Wife didnt like it much, thought she saw the ghost of a man who she suspects was killed there. Private bathroom was clean. Wasnt great value as we booked last minute (within 2 weeks) but it did us fine, even travelling with a baby who slept in the stroller. It is not luxury by any means but provided and excellent base for touring nyc easily by metro. Bed not that comfy.

If youre happy to sleep basic, in the city that never sleeps, then stay here as it is convenient, clean, seems pretty safe, and you can rest your head.

Room Tip: I dont think there is a best room.
  • Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank TrixyPo_Oz
Reviewed 23 February 2011

The hotel is very close to Grand Street subway station which makes it ideal to get away quickly from the area. Although the hotel seems clean the smell of 'herbal' cigarettes wafting through the hotel was off putting.
The room was extremely small and very cold, and the electric wall heater was very noisy. All in all it was cheap and somewhere to sleep but I found the staff very unhelpful as I had emailed the hotel prior to the visit requesting is some extra touches could be added as it was the hubbys 40th but no reply was received and on arriving none of the staff who were on reception had a basic grasp of the English language to understand my request.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Prest0nlass
Reviewed 25 January 2011

The Windsor Hotel is a 2 star hotel, so I wasn't expecting much. The room was big enough for 2 people with a safe and a good size bed (which was comfy enough for a hotel bed). The shower was no problem, although the tap started to leak at one point but that was sorted out by the Hotel quickly. I only wanted a room to sleep in and dump all my stuff in so it was great for that (it had a TV but we only had it on in the morning as we were getting ready).

The location was great, it's in Chinatown and not far from Little Italy. It was really nice to be staying in an area that wasn't at all tourist-y, surrounded by locals. I can see how it might not be every tourist's ideal place to stay, but as someone who didn't want to have the normal generic tourist experience I loved it.

There were plenty of bars and restaurants in the area (there was a great German bar/restaurant nearby called Bar Lorelai I think) plus a subway station across the road so it was incredibly handy to get around the city.

All in all the hotel itself wasn't amazing but it was exactly what we wanted; it was cheaper than all the other hotels we looked at and the location was fantastic.

If I come to New York again this is where I want to be.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank paddylad
Reviewed 1 November 2010

Travelling to NYC in Spring or Fall is an expesive business! During these popular months hotel proces in Manhattan go crazy, so any hotel that is clean, safe and less than $200 a night must be good value.
We stayed 3 nights at the Windsor. On the first night we were on the ground floor and it was very noisy. The next day we requested a move to a higher floor which the staff arranged for us without any problems. The following 2 nights were less noisy and we slept well.
The hotel is clean, the facilities are basic but overall the hotel delivers good value.
The hotel is located in China town and close to Little Italy. We had no problem with safety or security and the hotel is only about 150m from a subway sation that gives direct access to Midtown. The subway was always busy (we returned at 1130pm at night) and we never felt concerned.
For anyone not wanting to pay $400 per night for a generic 4-star hotel in Midtown this hotel offers a great alternative.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple