“Strange tipping system”

Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Greenwich Village
Cross street: LaGuardia Pl.
Transit: A,B,C,D,E,F & M trains to West 4th Street Station 6 train to Bleecker Street station
Reviewed 20 June 2018 via mobile

Had a meal and drink here and it was ok and I mean ok. What I found strange was that when the bill arrived of the 3 tipping suggestions of 18, 20 and 22% the latter had already been marked manually in ink by the staff as selected. Curious eh?

JohnoKeogh, Owner at GMT Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2018

Hi Denizdameniz

I am sorry that you found the transaction strange, but in fact we have implemented our new hand held chip card reader system since the the start of the year so that your card never leaves your possession and you determine what tip you would like to leave if any. There are 5 options 18% (New York City Standard) 20%, 25% No tip & Custom, The paper receipt that you received is just a suggestion and it automatically works out the amount of the suggested tip from the total of your bill, This helps our foreign customers who are not used to the tipping culture in the US, but does not mean in any way that you have to leave a tip. furthermore I apologize that your meal was only okay, we work hard to please our customers and to surpass their expectations, whether you are dining on our patio watching New York City go by or dining in our beautifully decorated Victorian Tavern. I hope the next time you are in our neighourhood you would consider GMT again, In fact, you can ask for me and I will make sure we go above and beyond in taking care of you.
Sincerly
John Keogh

Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

Great restaurant with pavement seating and good food at good value. Close to Washington Square. Greenwich Mean Time.

Reviewed 6 June 2018 via mobile

Daughter and I stumbled upon this place having walked from World Trade Centre and needing sustenance and a rest. Great place, friendly staff and really good food. Great, relaxing bar.

JohnoKeogh, Owner at GMT Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2018

Hi Sandie b

Thank you for your kind words, it means a lot to us to receive praise for what we are trying to do here at GMT Tavern, hope to see you again soon

Cheers
John

Reviewed 30 April 2018

It's not really like us to go somewhere without a real plan for dining, but that's exactly what happened this past Sunday. My son and his friends were playing a music gig at The Bitter End at 2:30, but we arrived in the city at noon, hungry for lunch! This place caught my eye. There were able to accommodate 12 of us for outdoor brunch (one table of 7 and one of 5). We sat outside, but I went in to use the restroom, and this place is tastefully decorated with bookshelves, fun art pieces, and a sleek black bar. Ambience is 5 stars.

Service was decent. Considering there were 12 of us, I think the food came out at a decent pace. They don't offer kids' meals, and we had some young kids in our party. Three of them shared an order of chicken wings and an order of fries. It was plenty of food. My teenage son had the pancakes, and he was happy. Personally, I had the barbecue chicken sandwich and it was just too much barbecue sauce for my taste. There was coleslaw on the sandwich as well, but I couldn't taste it. It did add a slight crunch to the sandwich, but I would have preferred if some of the flavor of the slaw came through to cut the over-powering barbecue. Still, I would go back, and just order something different. This is a nice place. It's comfortable, and it seems clean.

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

Very nice bar playing good tunes, full of friendly staff and we ate there a couple of times during our trip and we were both very impressed with food. Good bar food done very well and generous portions too.

JohnoKeogh, Owner at GMT Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2018

Thanks Kieran for the nice words, we strive hard every day to make people enjoy there time at GMT Tavern, I hope we see you again on your next visit to Greenwich Village
Cheers