4,376 results
All reviews family room penn station premium room bunk beds police station next door times square new york madison square garden quiet street empire state building coffee machine great shower modern hotel the high line large room around the corner mini fridge
Reviewed 17 September 2018

It was our first time in NY . Location was great few blocks from Times Square and other attractions. Staff were friendly and helpful. With the subway just metres away it made getting around easy. Just wish it had a pool for kids to dip in after all the walking around .

Room Tip: I would of been great if there was a pool.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
TrypManager, Manager at TRYP HOTEL NYC- Times Square South by Wyndham, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2018

Dear _kirk6808,

All of us here at the TRYP Times Square South are very happy you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for the kind review.

Reviewed 16 September 2018

This is the second Tryp location we have stayed in. The first was much better and I had expected more from this one. The location is fine...decent walk to just about anywhere in MidTown and that gives you easy access to all the transportation. But the room was not really too clean. When I booked I asked for a quite room and if possible a nice view would be good. I got neither.
The first day I was walking around in my socks and sat on the bed. I put my feet up and noticed about a dozen long black hairs fall off my socks. If that hair matched either myself or my wife I would not mention it. But obviously they didn't clean too well. There was some mold in the shower as well.
I know they cannot control the nearby buildings, but they could have warned us that there would be construction starting at about 645 am each morning which sounded like it was in our room!
Then the last night our neighbors were very noisy. The hotel can't really control that tooooo much. I didn't want to be the old scrooge but when it was 1130pm and the neighbor's kids were moving furniture and squealing I had to call the front desk to kindly ask them to cool down a little. With that I found out their internal phones didn't work. Every time I tried to call the front desk AND the manager on duty it went to voice mail. After about a half dozen tries I used my cell phone to call the hotel. They were nice enough when I asked about the noise but a half hour later the kids were STILL going nutty. So, I called again ....of course on my cell because the hotel phones didn't work. About 15 or so minutes later the football game in the room next door cooled down.
I would also suggest just using UBER or Lyft to get back to the airport if you need it. The hotel charged about $10 more than I would have paid for a private Uber ride and we had to stuff ourselves into a van with a half dozen other people.
On a good note we had hot water....uhmmm.....we visited some nice places. But next time I will not use Tryp here or probably anywhere else from now on.

Room Tip: Ask if you are near where the construction is.
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Hi bdart5,

I sorry we where not able to meet your expectations. We will work with the appropriate staff member in order to address your concerns.

I hope you give us the opportunity to show that we can do better,

Reviewed 15 September 2018

The hotel itself is average at best and if you are given a room on a low floor in the back segment of the building, you will have an awesome view of a building under demolition and serenaded with the continuous sounds generated from heavy equipment used for concrete removal.
If safety is important for you, then you are in the right hotel as The Tryp is located right beside NYPD midtown precinct. You’ll feel the excitement most New Yorkers are accustomed to when you walk by the precinct with two heavily armed members of New Yorks finest in full tactical gear with automatic weapons. Oddly enough, there was a “pressure cooker” type explosion and another secondary IED found on an adjoining street about 2 weeks after our trip.
The surrounding streets are full of nice restaurants and we found a Thai place which was reasonably priced with authentic Thai dishes. There are also pasta restaurants and steak houses close by. Down the street was the New Yorker Hotel with a 24 hour diner called TIME. Food there was below average, overpriced but the coffee was hot. Sorry, no Timmy’s for us Canucks.
Access to the subway system is less than 5 minutes walk and flagging a taxi is usually not a problem unless it is during rush hour. We tried walking up to 9th Avenue and had more success flagging a cab down.
We found this establishment suitable for a short stay but would probably choose another hotel should we return to Manhattan. Most of the staff were courteous and helpful although one could sense their tense and curt demeanour. Relaxed and happy is apparently not a trait you would find in most New Yorkers. The wall paper in the rooms will support my last comment. Remember you get what you pay for.
All I can say is “I’ve been to New York”. But unlike Frank (Blue eyes) it ain’t my kind of town.
Hope this helps.

Stayed: November 2017
TorontoYash, General Manager at TRYP HOTEL NYC- Times Square South by Wyndham, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2018

Respected Guest
Thank you so much for taking your time off to write this review Please note our is the only hotel where you can accommodate up to Eight or Nine guest in one room , Our is only hotel where you will find two bath rooms in one guest room , Our it is the only hotel where you will find area of the guest room close to 600 square feet Our is the only hotel where you will find Two king size beds , Bunk Bed , Sleeper Sofa bed along with two bath all in one rooms
All this is Unheard in New York On top of that our top notch service towards our guest
Once again thank you so much for your reviews
Regards / John Sharma -GM

Reviewed 14 September 2018

Great location for a city break in New York ,Close to Subway and easy to walk up to Times Square and beyond if energetic enough .Rooms were very clean and spacious giving us a good nights sleep.Staff were very courteous and helpful.The only negative were that the concerige were not very helpful

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2018

We stayed in this hotel last week of August 2018. Its a lovely hotel we are a family of 4 (2 teenagers) so had a room with 2 doubles and a sofa bed room was very spacious and super clean really impressed! The staff on reception are lovely as are the bar staff. The food was also lovely we ended up eating in the hotel 4 evenings also very reasonable priced. Location is amazing right beside penn station. Hotel was very quiet in the evenings which was perfect after a long day. Only downfall was the transfer we booked with the hotel from the airport a journey of 40 minutes took 3 hours!!!! Would not book the shared transfer again.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family