The Bowery House
US$236
US$217
  • Bar/Lounge
The Westin New York Grand Central(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$310
US$278
  • Room Service
The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$319
US$239
Autograph
  • Bar/Lounge
The New Yorker a Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$210
US$178
  • Room Service
Row NYC Hotel(New York City)
US$149
US$127
Savings alert! 19% below average rates

The price you found is 19% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$156/night.

Park Central Hotel New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$210
US$170
  • Fitness centre
Savings alert! 16% below average rates

The price you found is 16% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$202/night.

Royalton Park Avenue(New York City)
US$334
US$272
Official Site
  • Pool
Savings alert! 16% below average rates

The price you found is 16% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$324/night.

Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
US$183
US$140
  • Fitness centre
Archer Hotel New York(New York City)
US$251
  • Restaurant
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$301
US$266
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsrooftop gardenprince streetoriginal cabincommunal showershotel hostelshared bathroomprovide ear plugsnew yorkrooms are smallwhole foodsshort staylower manhattanlounge areaearplugslowrychinatownnyc
Reviewed 5 February 2012

The hotel is ok for a short stay and if you have a room with windows. The location is amazing with all of soho at your doorstep and lots of places to eat, shop, etc. The bathrooms are clean but you have to walk a little bid to get there. Also you will need earplugs as it is quite noisy! The beds are ok and the rooms are cleanish. It is really more like an upscale hostel than a hotel. Again if you are in NYC for a short stay and going to use the room just for sleep, this will be ok.

Room Tip: Try to get a corner room, they have two windows.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Elsailor
Reviewed 31 January 2012

The Bowery House is all you need when staying in NYC - a clean, comfortable bed, great bathroom facilities and a location that can't be beat. My friend and I rented an original cabin with a window overlooking Bowery. We were lucky with the window and able to get some sunshine and fresh air into the room. The room was just the bed and a side table. The bed was comfortable, and as a paranoid traveler very clean. The open ceiling of the layout had me worried about noise, but the earplugs they supply are industrial grade and I couldn't hear a thing when I was wearing them.
The bathrooms were fresh and clean as well with toiletries, towels, and robes supplied to make the logistics of hostel showering as convenient as possible.
The best part of The Bowery House though is the combination of location, building aesthetics, and price. I would recommend this to anyone who can handle a hostel.

Room Tip: Original cabin with window.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank jaimehag
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I stayed at The Bowery House in an original cabin, what's original is that the bed is so short that my feet would stick out of it, and I'm 5,9" (1,76m), I was there at the beginning of December 2011, and on top of it is kind of chilly at night, the cabin was sooo small and depressing.
The bed, one piece of luggage and one carry will fill up the cabin, no kidding, the room was full!! You have to be a contortionist to open your luggage on the bed to get things in and out of it, same thing with dressing up, you have to stand on the bed and then you hit your head on the ceiling fence!!! One morning I go to take a shower (3 three shower stalls only!) at 6.30am to get ahead of the crowd, and what do I found on the shower room floor? a vomit!! at 8am I go out and I asked if any body reported the disgusting situation in the shower room, to my surprise nobody did!!
Regarding privacy, well, simply put, there is none, you can hear everything everybody does in their cabins, and I mean it, snoring, farts, burps, pulling things out of plastic bags and paper bags, opening and closing zippers, unattended alarm clocks, whispers, tossing about the bed.
On the morning I was leaving I bring my luggage to the front desk, and I asked where could I leave it, my plane was at 10pm out of JFK, and the girl in charge tells me that there is a $10 fee for leaving my luggage with them!!! Never ever was I charged at any hotel around the world a fee for leaving my luggage at the hotel I was staying at.
I left this place exhausted and happy to get out.
Don't even try it.
I stayed in Japan at "salary man" hotels for the same money with amenities such a small refrigerator, flat screen tv, hot pot for tea, steam iron, etc, etc, and my own bathroom!! And that includes Tokyo too!!
So The Bowery House, sucks big time, never again!!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
6  Thank alexgone
sskunkel, Owner at The Bowery House, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2012

Dear Traveler:

I am sorry your experience at The Bowery House was less than ideal.

To address your concerns, we can't anticipate when someone is going to throw up in the bathroom. With your arrival in the bathroom at 6:30 AM, it is reasonable to deduce that perhaps the last person in the bathroom was the one who threw up and you were the first person to encounter it. These things happen from time to time as we can't predict the future and be on hand to witness every intoxicated or sick guest in the bathroom. Had you notified the front desk, I can assure you it would have been remedied immediately.

As for the size of your rooms, it states very clearly on the website - via descriptions and photos - the historic nature of the room that you chose (and Original Cabin). The small dimension of the room is why you were able to stay in one of the best neighborhoods for one of the lowest prices in all of New York City. We offer many room sizes throughout The Bowery House, and perhaps booking a larger room would have been a more appropriate avenue.

I'm sorry that your room was noisy, we offer all of our guests complimentary earplugs (which were placed on your pillow at arrival). Again, being an historic property we can't be everything to everybody although we wish we could.

I am sorry for our shortcomings but remain optimistic that with our competitive rates you will consider us again in the future. Within the next year we hope to have additional luggage storage area to handle outgoing guests on a complimentary basis as we currently do for incoming guests.

Reviewed 8 December 2011

I don't know why anybody would find this place "shockingly bad". I mean it was very clean(very clean sheets/no mice/bedbugs/blablabla) and that noise legend i had read about in so many reviews didn't exist,at least when i was there. Maybe i was lucky cause i stayed for 9 nights in an 8 bed dorm and i was all alone, but my overall impression was not bad at all. I didn't have a talk with any of the guys at the reception but their faces were all cool ,kind and helpfull. Also FREE WI-FI(very very fast).I don't know what you guys expect for 40$ per night. If it's not your style then that's why there's Planet Hollywood. Don't blame the hotel/hostel, call it anyway you like..for things like there is no elevator..(come on, you will need to carry your suitcase/backpack/duffel bag 2 times when checking in and out..) It's probably the best deal in town.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank vimao
Reviewed 3 December 2011

I'm overwhelmed by this place, this cannot be a good experience in any way. I can't believe this place under the same category as Hotels, this is a hostel for travelers with no luggage. I cannot fit my suitcase into the room because it is so tiny. you can hear other people from different rooms around you. even if you are looking only for a place to stay, this one is definitely not it. also sharing a shower with the whole floor is too much.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo