“Favorite Hotel in New York”

W New York - Union Square
Ranked #161 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 1 March 2012

I have stayed at this hotel twice, each for one night stays. Front desk staff is always wonderful and friendly and the rooms are spacious and comfortable. Union Square is a great area, and a quieter, cleaner part of New York. I have also stayed at a few other Starwood properties in New York city, including the Sheraton Times Square, W Times Square & Westin Times Square and the W Union Square is by far my favorite out of all of them. I love the area and the building is beautiful and amazing. I plan to return to this hotel when I visit New York again in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Union Square Park
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Gtellez, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2012

Welcome MiaMOR-
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review on W New York Union Square. I know my team at the Welcome Desk go out of their way everyday to make sure our guests feel right at home. I will share the wonderful comments. We look forward to your return to W Union Square.
Warmly,
Gerald Tellez

Write a ReviewReviews (1,516)

Reviewed 27 February 2012

The hotel is in a great location and was easy to get around and the anytime anywhere concierge service was handy during our stay. I regret to say that I doubt I'll be staying in a W again, especially given I'm a consultant who spends lots of time in hotels and am a Starwood Hotels fan. I paid my own money for two rooms to stay in a W on this special occasion in NYC; it definitely wasn't worth it.

I booked in October/early November for a trip in late January 2012. I was staying for two special occasions, my 30th birthday and my mother's 60th birthday. I requested 2 king size bedrooms on the same floor. Here are some observations and reflections from our stay (Jan 25 - Jan 31 2012):

1. When we arrived they tried to put us in a double rooms with no compensation

2. Made no reference to my request for two rooms on the same floor - when i brought it up they said a large party decided to extend last minute and couldn't honour it, they told me to try the following day, when i went back the following day they said not to bother as there was construction and we'd be bothered by the noise. Again no apologies that they couldn't do anything to help us

3. Two friends sent cards to the hotel with our names and the dates of our stays on them scheduled to arrive for the start of the stay, we were not advised of any cards or mail arriving at the hotel for our attention. Given two friends sent cards, I believe the hotel let us down, rather than the US Postal Service but obviously impossible to know for sure

4. The room keys were deactivated every time you put them in the lift to access the room floors. We had to keep one for the lift and the other for the room which meant we each needed to carry around 2 keys! We had to have our room keys reset several times, I mentioned something to the hotel; they sent someone up to reset our room lock, but this was to no avail. They did remove some charges from our room which was nice and appreciated.

5. On checkout on Jan 31st the woman serving us was unpleasant, inaccurate and rude when we enquired if our credit card had been charged for the additional items on the rooms. Not the service I expect from a W hotel.

6. The overall standard of the hotel rooms has declined, the bathroom was looking tired with brown mould in the shower. There was a champagne cork on the floor in the room when we arrived indicating the level of cleaning could use improvement, and our rooms were inconstantly refreshed with toiletries and bathrobes during our stay.

7. I wrote a feedback note at the hotel when we left, no one has contacted me regarding my stay. Such a simple thing to do!

Room Tip: Rooms on high floor are quieter
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank julia58207
Gtellez, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Union Square, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

Well Hello There Julia58207,
Thank you for sharing your experience at W New York Union Square. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences outlined in your review. I hope you stopped by the Welcome Desk during your stay to express your concerns with a member of our management team. We always like to ensure our guests feel comfortable with their stay. We are very pleased to announce a total room refresh at our location. We hope you will return to W New York Union Square in the future.

Reviewed 19 February 2012

I love Union Square, as a former NY student it was one of my favorite haunts and its a great location for those who want to stay between mid town and downtown Manhattan. This area has one of the best subway networks as well, so its perfect to get around.
When a W opened here, i decided it was the perfect hotel and location for my next stay in New York and turns out i was absolutely right.
Room was lovely, it was huge by New York standards and the hotel is cosy and has character.
Service is as good as it gets at a W. Iv stayed at two other W's in New York, the Times Square one being my favorite in terms of ambience and design. However, I prefer the location at this one as the times square one is a little more touristy.
However, If your a first timer in NY and want a room with the quintessential NY view, than this is not the place for you.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple

Well Hello There-
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with all of us. We appreciate your kind comments on our hotel. We are happy to announce that we are currently undergoing a room refresh. This will update our look and bring back the magic to W New York Union Square. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 14 February 2012

The W Hotel Union Square was a great stay. Good location, have to walk or take cab downtown. The lobby is very dark, loud music playing and a little claustrophobic. The rooms are dark as well, but good size for NYC hotel. The beds in this hotel are the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in on vacation. I got sick during the night, and the front desk staff went to CVS to get me medicine at 3:00 a.m. which was extremely nice. The next day, the staff continued to bring me water and chicken soup and buckets of ice. They even sent a "get well" card, which was unexpected. You could tell they actually cared. The staff was exceptional. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends

Welcome Angie652,
Thank you so much for such a kind review on W New York Union Square. I know our team always goes the extra step to make sure our guests feel right at home. I am glad we took care of you when you weren't feeling your best. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 10 February 2012

When we first stayed in New York, we stayed in a hostel on the upper west side so this was a massive step up. The location was great and we spent a lot of time wandering up and down the easy to navigate streets. Half a block down is a Big Daddy's diner which was great for breakfast (though a little expensive).
The Lobby was very impressive, if a little gloomy inside but it was the room that was the most disappointing. I was expecting a little grandeur for the price and the location but it was nothing special. I know it's New York and the rooms aren't going to be huge but it was really tight and the bathroom was on the small side too. The decor was average too, nothing I wouldn't expect from a Holiday Inn or other chain hotels. I don't think we'd be staying here again, we'd probably look for better value for money. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great. I was hoping for more.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Welcome Foxiileigh,
Thank you for sharing your experience at W New York Union Square. We appreciate your feedback. We are very happy to announce we are undergoing a total room refresh this month. We hope you can return to experience the new W New York Union Square.