“Great location and Great Staff”
Review of The Benjamin

The Benjamin
Ranked #101 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 7 April 2012

My stay at The Benjamin was great. I was immediately upgraded to a suite which was a pleasant surprise that I greatly appreciated. I really enjoyed the great staff( David( front desk), Mohammed (doorman) and Merril(front desk)), the cleanliness of hotel and its excellent location. I was within walking distance to Times Square, Radio City Music Hall, great restaurants and shopping. I became very familiar with the 6 train, as it was directly across the street. That train took me to Union Square, Central Park, Brooklyn and more. I will definitely stay at The Benjamin during my next trip to NYC.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2012

Dear Carla P,

Thanks for your post. I am most pleased to read that your experience at The Benjamin was so good that y9ou would come back. That is music to my ears. I will share your post with the team, especially the ones you pointed out specifically.

Look forward to welcoming you back to The Benjamin soon.

Best,

There are newer reviews for The Benjamin

Reviewed 6 April 2012

Great experience. Clean and very comfy. Close to Rockefeller center and decent but fun walk to time's square. 12 types of pillows and kids had fun ordering all types during our 4 night stay. Food at the hotel restaurant was the best we had the whole trip.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Charles P
The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2012

Dear Charles P,

Thank you for the great review of The Benjamin. I was please to read all of your wonderful comment. My team and I always appreciate it when we read reviews such as yours. I am glad you got a chance to try our pillow selection and our restaurant “The National”.

My best,

Reviewed 5 April 2012

50th and Lexington is a great location if that is where you are wanting to be. Room was adequate, I had a suite but did not need it or request it. Struggled to get the temp right, and the AC was loud. Had no view, very small windows so felt like a cave - the upside was that is was very quiet.
For $468/night, this was just not worth the money in my experience at over 100 nights per year in hotels for business.
The first day they forgot to clean my room, which when I returned at 10:30 pm did not want to wait to have done. The front desk was indifferent.
Two small elevators and when one is not working, it is not a fun wait.
Convenient for business, if it was under $250, it would be great. I am not likely to stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Dear KdJd2006,

Thank for posting your review. I apologize that your stay did not go well. I will be looking into the housekeeping issue , as it is unacceptable to me and the standards of service we provide. I hope there is something I can do to entice you to stay here again and give us another chance. I appreciate your consideration. Please feel free contacting me directly at the hotel, as I would welcome the opportunity to speak to you directly.

Thanks

Reviewed 4 April 2012

I travel to NY for business almost weekly. I find the Benjamin just a great place to stay: super location; never had a slow check in or check out; I walk in my bare feet on the carpet in the rooms without feeling slimey; the beds don't have one side molded into the shape of a generic middle-aged traveler's back. Plus it's very reasonably priced compared to its ritzier counterparts, (e.g. NY Palace), and much cleaner, and more pleasant than, say, the Michaelangelo, San Carlos, or the (horrible) Hilton.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Roscommon1923

Dear Roscommon1923,

Thank you for posting your review of The Benjamin. Those are some nice hotels you rated us favorably against, we appreciate your recommendation very much.
I hope to see you back at The Benjamin in the near future, and please feel free reaching out to me directly, if I can assist you in any way.

My best,

Reviewed 2 April 2012

We've stayed at the Benjamin several times and it's really a good choice for NYC.

Great location in midtown east, right across from the 51st Street 6 local subway line, eight blocks north of Grand Central.

Nice rooms, although because it's an old building, rooms are not equally sized. "Deluxe suite" can mean anything from a smallish one-bedroom suite (with a tiny bathroom) to an enormous one-bedroom with a balcony. Also, because it's an old building, sometimes the layouts of the rooms are a bit eccentric. Closet in the kitchen, anyone?

Great restaurant in the lobby.

Generally friendly staff, especially the bellmen.

The pillow menu seems like a gimmick but we usually order a couple different pillows to see what we like. The bed and linens are very nice.

Downsides:

The wifi signal in the rooms is really inconsistent, and when it's there, it's not strong. We had to plug my laptop into the ethernet cord to get a decent internet connection.

The lobby is dark and a bit cold.

They used to have lots of utensils in the kitchens, including pots. They've removed everything but cups, plates, glasses and some flatware. If you want anything else, you have to call housekeeping for it. Kind of a drag.

Even with these drawbacks, it's a nice place to stay in this part of town.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

Dear BostonTravelFemme,

Thanks for your great feedback. I truly appreciate your multiple stays at The Benjamin as well. I am glad to read that our service stood out to you. I will be looking into why the wi-fi was not up to your expectations as that should never be the case. The lobby has been recently renovated and we are still determining the correct lighting levels, so I appreciate your feedback. Please feel free reaching out to me directly if your travels bring you back to New York.

Thanks