“Je suis in love, J'aime Buvette”

Buvette Gastrotheque
Ranked #170 of 14,918 Restaurants in New York City
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: West Village
Reviewed 22 May 2018

Oh well, I had wanted to go since my cousin told me how delicious food was there but since they do not take reservations and they usually have a one hour wait line, we didnt make the effort, (as you know, everyday a different place opens in NY), this was until last December that she was off and I was visiting NY on vacation and decided to go. Every effort was worth it, going into Manhattan and braving the cold. The place was full but we were able to choose the counter and be seated immediately, we had access to the pastries and ended up eating a few. I have had brunch at other french bistros, both in NY and in other cities but this is by far my favorite place not only because of how cozy it is, food was great, best Croque Madame ever and the service!! the servers were so friendly and kind, we did some small talk with the latin crew. I went back to NY last month go back for brunch again, this time I had the Waffle Sandwich, awesome as well. I am of course counting to go back to NY and go back to Buvette. I dont care there's a new restaurant opening everyday in NY.

1  Thank Maria M

Reviewed 19 May 2018 via mobile

It’s the only place where I’ve currently been that deserves a 5 stars rating. The place is very small (maybe too much, since all guest are basically arm to arm close) and staff sometimes isn’t nice at all, but the end justify everything: whatever you order, is served in a small portion with delicious pairings; once they had also burgers and it was probably the best one I’ve ever tried. Ideal for dates, I’d come for sure.

Reviewed 16 May 2018

A lot to love, particularly the Croque. They were the perfect size. Drinks were good, but I have to say, the pastries were not. A long wait to get in, which we knew, but it was a bit of a disappointment. Service was good, not great. A nice neighborhood spot, but I wouldn't say it was worth the wait or price.

Reviewed 9 May 2018

We were recommended here by a local and we were not disappointed. The place is small as are the tables but it is such a warm place, They take no reservations and are open until 2 in the morning. We went on a Friday night at 9 PM and were fortunate to get a table in their outside courtyard though seats at the bar were also available. A reasonably priced bottle of delicious wine started our evening. A unique presentation of oysters on the half shell, with their top shells put back in place and a mignonette sauce already on the fresh oyster. They were absolutely delicious and surprising at the same time. White Asparagus, Escargot Tartinette Anchoiade (this anchovy dish was the recommended staple from our friend and it did not dissapoint). All in all, an incredible experience and well worth a return visit. New York continues to surprise with how many unique and wonderful restaurants it has. Just turn the corner and you are sure to find something. But add this to your list.

Reviewed 23 April 2018

Our lunch included the Belgian waffle and the croque forestiere. The waffle was delicious, with powdered sugar, fresh berries, creme fraiche, and maple syrup. I see that there are a few photos of it in other reviews, so take a good look! The croque forestiere features wild mushrooms and was also very good. Both servings could have been a bit more generous for the money.

Service was friendly. The setting is charming and intimate. There's a wonderful map of France drawn in chalk on the wall, with different regions and their wines noted.

The owner has opened a Buvette in Paris, showing the commitment to authenticity and quality. More recently, a third Buvette has opened in Tokyo.