“5* Rooms, 3* Service” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Houston, Texas
“5* Rooms, 3* Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

I stayed a few months back and was very excited as I booked a corner room. It was spacious, had a balcony that was an amazing treat (only the 4th floor rooms have this feature), and had a modern feel (but not over the top like The W).

The 2nd floor Living Room was a nice feature, with a computer to print a boarding pass or for a quick check of e-mail, and some comfy chairs to sit and chat with friends or to lounge around and read a good book.

As amazing as the room was, the service was equally as unspectacular. I left for dinner and asked for turndown service. Three hours later, it still wasn't done. I called and requested it yet again, and this time they didn't empty the trash bins, left no water bedside, and did little else than prepare the bed.

The next day I called for a shoeshine and they said they didn't offer this service. What?!? How can this serve business travelers and not provide this service? To further the insult, they suggested I go to Grand Central Station where I could find a shoeshine guy. Ha! I wish this was a joke, but sadly it is not.

I will cut some slack as the hotel is newly opened, but there are plenty of nice rooms in NY around this area. Service is what sets you apart. Not sure if I would return, price would have to be right.

Room Tip: 4th Floor Corner Suites have a balcony
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank likey2travel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reston, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

I've stayed in just about every business hotel in midtown Manhattan and have had mostly bad experiences. Finally, I've found a hotel in Midtown that has what I'm looking for.

The Hyatt 48 Lex is Hyatt's version of a boutique hotel and I think they've executed everything just about right. The property is small -- about 120 rooms, I think. That means that the staff can offer you some personalized service. I had good help from the front desk team who also double as a concierge and bellmen, it appears. That may be one of their weak points though. I sometimes had a bellman to open the door and welcome me into the hotel and sometimes not. (The staff explained that they all manage several duties -- bell duty, front desk, concierge, etc.) But in every case in dealing with a staff member, they were warm, helpful and friendly. Perhaps they need to hire 2 or 3 more people to work a shift.

A highlight of the hotel is the 2nd floor Lexicon Lounge. They have coffee, juice and pastries in the morning and wine & cheese in the evening. Newspapers and magazines were plentiful as was soft music. It was an oasis of calm and was usually staffed by one of the team members. It was lovely. (And for my trip, it was a nice place to hang in between a series of business meetings spread throughout the day.)

My room was an upgrade from the standard room I had booked. There was a mini-kitchen -- a fridge, microwave and even a dishwasher were included. There were two flatscreen TVs and a great view of 48th and Lexington. The room was an odd long rectangle though -- some people may be a bit claustrophobic, but I liked it. It seemed like an upscale pied-à-terre.

One nice touch: when I entered the room upon check-in, music was playing from TVs and scenes of NY were running as they might on your computer's screen saver. Each TV had a personalized welcome message for me. The turn down service meant returning to dimmed lights, softer music and closed drapes. I mention the drapes because the room has windows on two sides, Some people like that much natural light -- others don't. I loved it.

When I'm booking my next business trip to NY which requires a midtown stay, I'll check availability there first.

One note, I didn't try the restaurant in the hotel, but from the outside it looked appealing. I'd be interested in hearing from others their thoughts on the food and room service, which they handle.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade. My sense is that because they are a new property, they aren't reaching 100...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MWagnerHyatt48Lex, General Manager at Hotel 48LEX New York, responded to this review, 18 February 2012
Dear Trav3lm0re,

Thank you for your positive post on tripadvisor. I was excited to learn that truly enjoyed your stay with us, and to hear about all the positive interactions you had with our team. Should your travels bring you back to the NYC area, we look forward to providing you with another incredible experience.

Best,

West Bloomfield, MI.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

This new hotel has a great location and the most attentive staff I have ever experienced. Very upscale and comfortable.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank TrueBlueTwo
Dear TrueBlueTwo,

Glade to hear you enjoyed your stay. Looking forward to your return!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

On several trips to New York, I've always stayed on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. This time I was searching for a room with points for one day the week after Christmas and all the Marriotts were booked, including the one next door where I always stay. I may never go there again. The new, 116-room Hyatt 48 Lex is the gold standard for NYC! Our king-bed room had a small refrigerator (if you don't mind moving the minibar drinks around), beverage sink and dishwasher. The bathroom was phenominal with a huge tiled shower. There was a cabinet below the sink and another above the toilet that made up for the lack of counter space. The decor was modern, silver and black. The second-floor lounge offers free coffee and hot chocolate during the day and is a relaxing place to read. There was also continental breakfast and happy hour snacks, but the staff couldn't keep up with demand from a sold-out hotel. That didn't matter. The previous building in this space was torn down to make room for this gem. The staff was super friendly and helpful -- the manager even helped fetch our bags from storage before we departed. Needless to say, I can't wait to return.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Dear Shoe Fiend,

I was excited to learn that you truly enjoyed your stay with us. We here at the Hyatt 48 Lex take pride in all that we do, and we strive to provide all our patrons with a greatest hotel experience. Thank you for all your kind words, and look forward to your return.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

The last time we stayed in NY, we stayed at the W in Times Square, which by the way is a great property. This time, we elected to stay a little further away from Times Square and so glad we made that decision. When we walked into the hotel, it had a very modern and cool vibe to it. The person who greeted us was very kind and also gave us a complimentary upgrade!!! The room was great (Lexington Studio). There were two TVs, a seperate sitting area, and overall very comfortable. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple