“NYC at its Best”

The James New York-SoHo
Ranked #176 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

After having an underwhelming experience at the 1Hotel Brooklyn Bridge, my girlfriend and I migrated over to "Jimmy at the James" and it was simply EXCELLENT! We were warmly greeted, quickly escorted to the roof where a cool, authentically eclectic NYC atmosphere pervades, I quickly got into my swim trunks, and the food and cocktails flowed. The DJ treated patrons to a smooth mix of Old & New school Reggae as all celebrated the summer winding down. I highly recommend this SOHO gem to all who want to party with the "Cool Kids" yet not pay $1500 for a bottle of Belvedere to enter which ACTUAL cool people know is patently uncool.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
jrauer2016, General Manager at The James New York-SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear seantrader2001,

Thank you for sharing your experience from Jimmy at The James on Trip Advisor. We are lucky to have such a unique and iconic rooftop bar in our hotel with a cool vibe that our guests love. I appreciate you taking the time to post a review and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

General Manager at The James Soho

There are newer reviews for The James New York-SoHo

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We enjoyed our stay. We had a family reunion and the staff was very accommodating. As a group we were quoted 1 price but as the time got closer, we got sales that were a cheaper price, so be aware that you are getting the best deal. He most disappointing was the poor and rooftop bar. Do not expect to relax and unwind. It is open to the public and is basically a "club" for 20-30 year olds. Would not take the kids up there. Otherwise all was good.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Janet L

Dear Janet L,

Thank you for spending you family reunion at The James New York Soho. I am glad you all enjoyed your experience and had a "Great Time". Our Pool Deck is open seasonally and exclusive to hotel guests until the evening Monday to Friday and all day until late afternoon on the weekends. Afterhours it transitions to Jimmy at The James which is a destination rooftop bar in lower Manhattan. Thank you for visiting us at The James and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back the next time you visit NYC.

Reviewed 12 August 2017 via mobile

Cheers to the best, most professional staff in town. The crew made us feel like home. Cheers to #mimi and #john and #brian for exceptional service and just being super cool. Champagne, strawberries, anything we wanted before we know we needed it. The best place to be on a Saturday afternoon.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends

Dear Florence B,

Thank you for spending such a special occasion at The James New York- Soho. I am glad our #team was able to provide a memebroable and personalble experience. Our Pool Deck and Outdoor spaces make The James a perfect place to stay in NYC in the summer months. Chammpagne and strawberries make it even better. Thank you for staying with us at The James.

Reviewed 8 August 2017

I live in nyc and recently needed a place to stay while some renovations were made in my apt. I work in Soho, so wanted a space nearby. The James is affordable with a high end vibe. Room was small but with a comfortable King size bed and nice views from the large floor to ceiling windows. Nice roof top space to hang. Front desk staff was friendly. My only complaint is that I needed to do some work and the table and chair was more for lounging. Otherwise, I'd stay there again for sure

Room Tip: If you want quiet like myself, stay on a lower floor. I did not hear any outside noise in my room
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
jrauer2016, General Manager at The James New York-SoHo, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2017

Dear Ariel A,

Thank you for sharing your experience from The James New York-Soho. It is always difficult to find a comfortable place to stay when undergoing renovations. I am glad you found the hotel to be comfortable and met your expectations. It is great to see you had time to enjoy Jimmy at The James and will return. If you or visiting friends and family ever need assistance at The James do not hesitate to reach me directly. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

We chose the James for a staycation last summer and it was a lovely break. We enjoyed the rooftop bar and brought our little spaniel. The hotel was dog friendly. We especially enjoyed the David Burke restaurant. The staff and food there were amazing.
It was convenient and relaxing, all we were looking for. We had a terrific corner room with windows on 2 sides.

The only issue is with the wicker tray placed on the table to hold minibar items, glasses, etc. I had assembled several drinks on the tray and when I lifted it, the glasses all flew out of the bottom and shattered in the room. The hotel promptly send 3 people in for a cleanup but trays (and it had handles so I was not mistaken) should not have holes in the middle.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear Am212nym,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. It is wonderful to see that you enjoyed your staycation in 2016 and will return. I apologize for the mishap with the pantry tray. It is made of wicker and not the best solution for a serving tray and an in room item we are replacing. I am glad our team addressed this immediately and appreciate your understanding.