“Loved it, but Noisy”

Ranked #126 of 467 Hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“Loved it, but Noisy”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I recently stayed at The Nolitan on a whim when I found a super low rate of $143.20 on their website for a Neighborhood Room. I had been wanting to stay here since they opened, so I thought I'd take advantage of the great rate & glad I did- I really loved my room! Ben checked me in & he was a great first impression- he was relaxed, cool, super friendly & upgraded me to a Cityscape room on the top floor of the hotel, which was the 9th floor- thanks Ben!

I was in room 901- my room was quite small, with cool hardwood floors, a concrete ceiling, a slim wooden desk with an awesome chair, Rose scented Red Flower Bath products that were lovely, super comfy bed with soft linens & great pillows, amazing shower, & an awesome view of the Williamsburg bridge! I loved the feel of the room & was very comfortable! When I called down I was able to extend until 2pm (check out is at 1pm, which is very nice to begin with!) & the hotel provided a delectable little chocolate treat on my bed at turndown service- really nice touch, including the weather card for the next day.

However, there are a few things that you should keep in my mind when staying at The Nolitan- even though I was on the highest floor in the building, my room was noisy; not terribly loud, but I could hear traffic & people outside if my window was cracked open for fresh air- I live in the city, so this doesn't really bother me, just something to keep in mind- I can only imagine the lower floors are incredibly noisy. For a brand new building, the Elevators are noisy, I could hear a cell phone conversation two rooms away as I was sitting on my bed, the a/c & heating unit was freakishly loud, so I just turned it OFF completely, as it was a cool night in NYC & the windows & building have really bad soundproofing. Housekeeping was very loud around 9am outside of my room. None of this ruined my stay, but the hotel has really poor insulation to block the noise, which is really unfortunate for a new building.

Also, the restaurant is closed, so the hotel is offering a light Continental breakfast in the lobby- the selection when I arrived around 9:45a was really low- a few pastries, yogurt, & a few pieces of whole fruit with half filled carafes of juice. The Danish I had was quite good! The hotel has no room service right now, but providing menus from local neighborhood restaurants for delivery service. The mini bar was decent, with all items reasonably priced.

Overall, I'm glad I stayed at The Nolitan- I really adored my room & loved the hardwood floors, the incredible bed & the lovely rain shower! It was a room that I really didn't want to leave, as I love clean, modern lines that were used in the hotel. The only negative towards the hotel in my opinion was the lack of soundproofing- otherwise, a cool, cute hotel in an amazing part of NYC!

Room Tip: 901 had a great view & is the top floor of the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank patrickwNewYork_NY

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I selected this hotel mostly because of location--to be in easy walking distance of NoLita, Soho, Chinatown, East Village--followed by a "reasonable" price meaning under $300/night. At first, upon arrival, I thought we had entered a glorified hostel. It was nighttime and dark. The hallways are stark and there's lots of concrete. BUT, by the next morning I was pretty much enamored with our hotel. The designers did their best to make good use of the space and keep the rooms feeling as airy as possible considering how tiny most NYC hotel rooms are in general. I believe all rooms have large glass windows facing into the city. The shower has a wall of glass that looks into the room to keep light flowing, but there are curtains on both sides of the glass wall for privacy. We had a room with a balcony, which we really enjoyed. It was nice in the a.m. to open it and hear the street sounds, let in more light and have air circulating, even if it's city air. My husband and I both really liked the contemporary and minimalist styling. We found it quite comfortable for sleeping and we did not experience any noise issues that some other guests have complained about. Each night we were left with a different snack or sweet, which we liked because it was not the typical cookie cutter mint chocolate. In the mornings, complimentary tea, coffee and continental breakfast is served, not that we every ate it-- (go to Oro around the corner). With that said, the cons: the desk space is not generous so I couldn't imagine having to work for any duration in this room. And, there's not a lot of storage for clothes, bags, etc. Hard to completely unpack, especially if there's more than one person in the room. However, there is a lot of comfortable public space in the lobby that lends itself to working on a laptop and possibly hanging out. An added plus is the rooftop with 360 city views. Right now it's not functioning as anything other than a hotel rooftop--no public bar, etc-- so it's quiet and basically uninhabited. We had a nice picnic lunch one afternoon overlooking the Williamsburg Bridge. The staff is young and incredibly friendly as well as helpful. I would recommend this for a couple or friends who are not going to spend a lot of time in the room lounging around but need a clean, safe, comfortable place to stay that's in a fabulous location. FYI, the wine bar next door serves great Spanish wines at good prices. I would definitely go back as long as I can get a rate at around $200-$250.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 22 March 2012

We went with the family (kids are 14 and 17) for a college visit. Location was convenient to NYU. Thought the hotel had very cool design touches and was quite comfortable. Didn't notice noise as a problem at all (I guess the bohemian dude doesn't know how to put the fan on full time). And there is a curtain if you're worried about the "peek a boo shower." We thought the bathrooms were well equipped and had a nicely spare feel. The beds were very comfortable, and despite the hard surfaces in the room, we all thought it managed the right degree of warmth.
We got adjoining rooms on the ninth floor which was great for a family. We could close off those two rooms and leave the doors between the two open. The view east on Kenmare/Delancey to the Williamsburg bridge was beautiful especially at night, and the corner room had a nice view uptown. You should especially go up on the roof. They're working on getting approval to open up a bar, but just to go up there on a nice spring night was wonderful.
The staff couldn't have been friendlier or more accomodating. And we thought the complimentary breakfast was of high quality and with decent variety.
All in all, we'll definitely be coming back for our next visit to NYC.

Room Tip: If you're willing to pay a bit more, spring for a high floor king corner room. They're worth...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank MarkfromMonkton
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 20 March 2012

There has been an insane amount of great reviews for this place (which is just a few months old) and having now experienced the Nolitan for myself I think an injection of "reality" is needed. Here are my observations both good and bad:

it's a new hotel and as such there are always gonna be kinks that need to be worked out - sadly for this hotel a lot of the kinks are design flaws and issues that are much harder to fix than training staff.

first off the building is seriously fugly. I mean really, who designs these things? granted I was told the hotel sits on what was a parking lot (I hope that is true) and the strip its on isn't exactly gorgeous architecture central, however it kinda shocks me that such ugliness is still being built from the ground up. OK never mind, you can't see the building from the rooms anyways right?

So let's talk rooms shall we? I was given a "neighbourhood" room with a nominal view of Delancey Street and the Williamsburg bridge. Outfitted with a king bed (very crisp and comfortable btw) a slim table and Eames chair, the rooms were designed, I believe by people who wanted the space to show well in magazines and blogs, but in reality are all cold and hard surfaces that don't exactly scream coziness or comfort. The room doors are magnetic and HEAVY, there is tons of exposed concrete and wood floors. Yes it all looks very "cool" and "hip" but you know what that means? YES - TONS of noise. All day and all night all I could hear were heavy doors slamming (the hotel was full), high heels clanking, stuff being dropped on the floor above and below and starting 8am in the morning a full compliment of housekeepers knocking, clanking and making all sorts of noise. NOW I am a heavy sleeper, but even I thought the noise level of the interior of this hotel was excessive. Like I said this is a design flaw that can't exactly be cheaply fixed. Speaking of cheap - the air conditioner was really loud and if you open the window there is tons of street noise (but of course being NYC this part is expected).

Little touches were missed by the designers (who it seems have never stayed in a hotel room overnight) such as no hooks in the bathroom, shower doors that allowed water to leak all over, room safes too small for a laptop, chairs with wooden legs that were already busted (boo) and finally the shower had a glass wall between it and the room so that it was visible from the bed. Seriously? While this may be great for frisky couples, "Peek a boo" showers are so 2003 - can we please find a new bathroom trend please? This is not hotel where you can share a room with coworker or non-romantic friend or family.

on the PLUS side, the location is great, the staff is SUPER friendly, outgoing and seemed to love their job, the concierge was a little fake thou... there are exactly 2 bikes for rent to cruise the hood (1 "boy" bike and 1 "girl" bike) internet is free and fast, as it should be and checkout time (for now anyways) is 2pm - very civilized.

In conclusion I would say that if you don't mind the noise and all those hard surfaces and you can get a rate under $300 the Nolitan will serve you well, anymore than that I would say you are better off with the Thompson LES or Crosby Street Hotel which are closeby and offer the same proximity to Nolita/Soho/LES and are also very trendy.

Also good for you to know is that this hotel will charge you (upon) check in: 1. the full amount of your stay 2. $150 per day for incidental charges. This then takes 5 business days after your stay to clear so consider yourself warned - I find this bit a little excessive and customer service unfriendly, but hey that's just me...

Room Tip: ask for rooms facing away from Kenmare Street
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
9 Thank the_real_bohemian
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 18 March 2012

This was my second stay at the Nolitan. The staff was extremely helpful, cordial and super friendly. The restaurant at the hotel is currently closed but there are plenty of choices in walking distance. I will definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: The further up, the less noise from the street.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business