“Great history of lower NY”
Review of East Village Visitors Center - CLOSED

East Village Visitors Center
More attraction details
Owner description: East Village Visitors Center offers local brochures, maps and information about what is going on in the area, historic exhibits and displays, films, educational programs, special events, walking tours and direct access to East Village historians. The cafe offers free wi-fi, coffee, sandwiches, snacks, souvenirs, literature and more.
CT
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great history of lower NY”
Reviewed 1 September 2010

My wife and I took the Mafia tour and greatly enjoyed it. The story of NYC's gangs is deeply intertwined with the history of the Lower East Side (including present day Soho and East Village) and the immigrants passing through, and LESHP's guide for this tour, Eric, is extremely knowledgeable on the history of all of these. This made the tour a fun and educational experience that gave us a much greater understanding of the area.

10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Great tour”
Reviewed 16 February 2010

My friend and I took Bowery tour with Rob yesterday and my experience is similar to other people – tour was great. Rob really knows his staff and he likes to share it. Tour was covering history of Bowery Street in context of New York City history, while providing some details about architectures of the building on the Bowery and surrounding blocks; this tour is more history than architecture tour. There were only 2 of us on this tour, we came to meeting place in front of poet club 15 min prior to start time and during this 15 minutes we were wondering if this right place, if tour is running on holiday (it was President day), why leshp phone is not answering, etc, but after Rob appeared promptly at 12:00 our worries were over; so if you decide to take any of their tours, just relax and wait till start time. I am planning to take other tours with them as well.

2 Thank Barbara2009
New York, NY
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Amazing tour with the personal touch!”
Reviewed 21 November 2009

I live in New York and took this tour to learn more about the Lower East Side. What I got was SO much more than that! Our guide, Andrea, took us to some of the most historic and culturally significant spots in just a few short blocks and she had amazing visuals to reinforce everything she talked about. But beyond all the great information, the single element that made the difference was Andrea. She cares so much about the subject matter and it shows. She gave this tour a personal touch that really made us all comfortable. I had such a blast walking around the neighborhood and plan on returning for more tours with the Lower East Side History Project.

2 Thank YummyinmyTummy
New York City
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Are you also a fan of east village?”
Reviewed 28 July 2009

I visited the East Village Visitors Center when my friends came to visit the city. The cafe inside the center is great, good coffee and food. They offere several types of walking tours, but we got on the one called Gangsters Murderers and Weirdos- the guide actually wrote a book on the same topic, saw it on barns and nobles. The staffs are really nice, definitely a place to go away from heat:)

2 Thank bowercity
connecticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fun way to learn about the history of the east village!”
Reviewed 21 July 2009

I recently visited the east village visitors center and went on the gangsters, murderers and weirdos tour. the tour guide was really informative (he just wrote a book about this subject) and he literally knew everything there was to know about the east village. it was cool to see a different side of new york. also there's a really cute cafe with cheap and delicious coffee and free internet!

1 Thank juliajelizabeth