“Location, Location, Location”

Kimpton Hotel Eventi
Ranked #45 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 March 2012

My wife and I stayed for 5 nights at the Eventi back in December 2011 to do some shopping and generally soak up the New York Christmas atmosphere on our was back to the UK from trip in Central America.

As many people have pointed out the location is fantastic. We've been to NYC several times but have never stayed south of about 46th street before but this location was by far the best one we've had. Easy walking distance to shopping on 5th & 6th avenues, big touristy sites Times Square, Rockefeller etc but also the bars and restaurants in the East/West Villages.

The hotel itself is beautiful and on arrival we were greeted by a very friendly member of staff upgraded to from King Room to a Cityview King Room. I know next time I'll pay the difference, the floor to ceiling windows gave a amazing view across the south of the city including the Empire State building (sorry the picture quality of the room views aren't the best.) I'm sure the King Room would have been great but the free upgrade was much appreciated.

The room wasn't huge (to be expected in NYC) but was very nice. The bed was very comfortable and the shower in the bathroom was ace.

As always with Kimpton the wine hour was great little bonus and the wines we were served were delicious.

This was our 5 stay and a Kimpton hotel but was the best yet, highly recommended.

One thing the hotel is very close to Penn Station (5 minute walk) and I'd recommend getting the train into the city via Newark airport. I have previously got a taxi and paid $70+ for a very long and tedious drive into the city. The train took less the half the time of the taxi and was $50 cheaper for the two of us.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Kimpton Hotel Eventi

Reviewed 4 March 2012

This was a great location for our weekend visit to NYC. Close to transportation and within walking distance of decent shopping. The hotel was very modern. Everything was nice which is expected in Kimpton Hotels. The room was small, but decent size for NYC. Although small, the space utilization was excellent. The bed was comfortable and everything was clean. We had dinner at the restaurant in the hotel. Dinner was very tasty, but on the pricey side. The staff was courteous and helpful. This definitely goes on my list!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Loved this hotel for just about every reason. Location is ideal for shopping around 34 street of if working with the clothing market. The decor inside the room was tres chic contemporary without giving up on comfort. The seconf floor has a great lounge area for drinks, coffee or just to catch up on work.
You can find a great self serve/ fast restaurant next door for healthy breakfast and lunch.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Great location and very central to everything. I lOVE Kimpton hotels and this one didn't disappoint. They offer everything you can imagine complimentary. I love the happy wine hour at 5 too. I didn't eat at the restaurant but we had a few drinks and nibbles at the bar which were good. It's not a hotel I'd recommend if you enjoy lounging around the property. Besides the bar and restaurant, there's not much to see or enjoy. I would recommend it and would probably stay again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
obriggs, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Eventi, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2012

Dear Escapists2,

I'm thrilled to hear you are a huge fan of Kimpton Hotels! Thank you for joining our loyalty program, we sincerely appreciate your dedication to Kimpton and look forward to your continued support. I hope you will return to Eventi in the near future for another memorable stay. Happy Spring!

Best,
Olivia

Reviewed 1 March 2012

Stayed here in Feb 2012 for a four-day business trip.

Booked the standard room on a SniqueAway offer, but was told we could upgrade to a suite on arrival, which I told them we would do. Check in was 3pm.

So, got there at 1pm and tried for an early check-in. Room wasn't ready and there were no suites available! Told to come back at 2pm and the room would be ready.

At 3.30pm, the room still wasn't ready.

At 3.45pm, after getting slightly irked at the check in guy as I had been travelling for 16 hours and kind of wanted a shower, I got the keys to my room.

Now I have stayed in a few NYC rooms before, so space (or lack of it) is not that much of a surprise to me. Which was fortunate, because the room had a bed, two bedside cabinets, a tiny work table and that was it. If I had a cat and had swung it, it would have hit all four walls. There are no drawers other than four tiny, dark shelves in the wardrobe (which was unlit because the 'wave your hand to make it work' light wasn't working). When I put my suitcase out which i was obviously going to live out of for four days, there was even less space in the room.

The "City View" was east out over 6th Avenue and 30th Street. Not brilliant. Oh and there is a Police Precinct on 30th street about 200 yards behind the hotel, so get used to seeing squad cars everywhere.

We were on the 15th floor and it was noisy. Take earplugs if you plan on sleeping, and make sure you don't get a room with an interconnecting door because the door is approximately the thickness of a human hair.

Then there's the bathroom.

You can sit on the toilet and put your hands in the sink, for starters. Two people trying to use the room at the same time is like watching Monty Python. And then we get to the main point of the bathroom ... the shower.

Imagine if you will a teabag, held in a colander, being squeezed by Peewee Herman and held over your head. That will give you some idea of the kind of pressure that the shower gives out. Handheld or ceiling rose, it would be more effective to spit in the air and try rub that all over your body. Absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, the worst hotel shower I have ever used. Period.

The lobby is lovely however. When the concierge is there (never once whilst I was there), I'm sure he's very good. Otherwise, the location is good and it's very clean.

But I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay someplace else.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business