“Friendly, knowledgeable staff and peaceful, comfortable sleep in The World's friendliest city”
Review of Margot Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Margot Guest House
Ranked #29 of 78 New York City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 November 2010

We arrived at Margot's after a long day travelling from the UK. A yellow cab will transfer you from JFK for a flat rate of $45; do NOT get taken in by the guys who collar you straight away offering rates of $65! We rang the basement apartment bell as directed in our email booking confirmation and were greeted by the rather dapper Todd.

Todd was the perfect gentleman (carrying my wife's bags up to the room for her) and settled about welcoming us to NYC, dispelling the myths about the city and giving us the run-down on the local neighbourhood. He told us how safe the area and the city was and I must admit, I thought it was a bit of patter initially but after spending 4 days wondering around New York City I can confirm it is one of the safest and friendliest cities I have ever visited in my life!

Margot's provides each guest with a folder which contains details of subways, eateries and any other local amenity you might need. Of these recommendations Todd earmarked his personal favourites and I must say he was right (visit the Mexican restaurant "El Paso" and "Joy Burger"; both on the left heading downtown on Lexington), all the comments in previous reviews about his friendly nature and helpful advice are absolutely true.

Margot's itself is clean and beautifully decorated and the facilities are excellent (fridge, microwave, coffee maker and personal heating thermostat in our room and I assume in each). Our bed was firm and comfortable and the fact that the building-front is left traditional brownstone makes it feel as though you have your own New York apartment for a few nights.

Margot's location is fantastic: 3 blocks from Central Park (we walked the full length South into Manhattan one day we were there), only 15 minutes or so on the subway to get into the city centre and in a neighbourhood thriving with restaurants and bars.

In conclusion: I cannot fault Margot Guest House and would recommend it to anyone visiting NYC for the first or fiftieth time. If we venture that way again (which I hope we will!) I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kayakingsam

Reviewed 29 October 2010

We stayed at Margot guest house in October 2010 for seven nights and we would definitely return here again.
This guesthouse is close to public transport, especially the subway, which we used every day. It is a short subway ride to Times Square or if you are adventurous you can walk there.
We were able to walk to Central Park and the Guggenheim museum ( and others ) in 10-15 minutes. There are also many restaurants within walking distance, catering to all budgets and tastes.
The room is very cosy, but large enough to not feel cramped.
We stayed in two different rooms ( due to this place being very popular).
The bed is very very comfortable ( in fact I now feel I need a new bed at home after sleeping in such a comfortable bed.)
There was a couch, a little table with two chairs, a fridge, microwave and kitchen needs.
The windows are double glazed which makes the rooms fairly quiet. You can hear the subway, but it did not affect our sleep and I am a very light sleeper!
The bathroom was charming and very clean.
The neighbourhood is vibrant and you get a real feel for the lifestyle, being a little bit out of the main city area. I felt safer in this area of New York than I do in some cities here in Australia.
Todd, the host, is extremely helpful with advice on restaurants, places of interest and just negotiating New York.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CarolAnneGeelong
Reviewed 30 July 2010

Enjoyed our time staying at Todd's place. You must have a chat with him, really interesting and helpful guy. The guesthouse has big rooms, great antique furniture and a great feel to it. It's further out than you might at first feel comfortable with, but the subway is a two minute walk away and the feeling of being part of a community is lovely. Excellent restaurants nearby and helpful information in the rooms to help get you started. Well worth a visit.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Calps
Reviewed 18 July 2010

It's all good, really. Staying here provided us with what I feel was a much more authentic NY holiday than you might get staying in a larger hotel. Margot is outside of the 'main drag', just inside Spanish Harlem (106th/107th Street). It's an interesting neighbourhood, with some funky murals/graffiti round and about, pretty restaurants/cafes and buildings to look at. There's also a lot of scaffolding and grubbier looking places in the locality, but don't let that put you off. A short walk from Margot takes you to the subway - PLEASE use the subway - Margot is about 50 blocks away (a very long walk in a heatwave!) from the main part of NY, although at the top of museum mile and central park (which is massive!). Margot is a beautiful place, with a lot of the amenities you need for minimal self-catering (microwave, coffee-maker, cutlery etc) but you won't be able to make any big meals - but you won't want to - there are a million and one restaurants and delis to choose from in NY and plenty in the neighbourhood. The bed is extremely comfortable and the room has air-con. The only downside is that you hear/feel the subway that rattles along every minute or so - take your earplugs if you are a light sleeper. Taxi drivers also have no idea where it is either because it's not a main hotel, so make sure you tell them the 106/107th/Lexington Ave street reference. Todd's really lovely too and full of helpful hints and information for you. Thanks Todd for a great, gorgeous, value-for-money, genuine New York experience.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tween31
Reviewed 12 July 2010

My SO and I loved our stay at Margot Guest House. Our room was comfortable and beautifully decorated, the locatin was great (close to Central Park, close to museums, close to the subway, lots of cool restaurants) and the owner was so very helpful with lots of great advice on things to do in the neighboorhood and in the city in general. Excellent value for the money.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple