“Great Guest House in NYC”
Review of Margot Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Margot Guest House
Ranked #28 of 78 New York City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 October 2015

We stayed at the Margot GH October 1st - 5th. We loved it! Todd the owner was very helpful as is mentioned in most of the reviews. The location couldn't have been better for us at this price point. The area is cool/funky with small cafe's and bars. Short walk to the trains / subway system. Short walk to the "Park". We loved the room/studio feel in our unit on the 2nd floor. Good sitting area, comfortable bed. Nice bathroom/shower/tub. It really was like having a small flat in the city. We would stay here again. Thanks, Todd!

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mrivey

Reviewed 15 October 2015

MGH is standard housing in a substantial old building: nothing fancy, thin bed pillows, thinner [one-ply] toilet paper, and a tiny TV. Daily maid service is not provided. Not a B&B, because breakfast is not served, though a microwave, coffee supplies, and a small refrigerator are provided. This 3-story row house is located on busy Lexington Avenue in East Harlem, so pick a room away from the street if you wish to sleep. The area is slowly gentrifying, so decent restaurants are popping up, including Lexington Social one block south and breakfast/coffee spot Bosie Bakery on 2nd Avenue.

Room Tip: Avoid street-side rooms, such as #5 on the third floor, unless you are a very heavy sleeper.
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2015

Margot Guest House is a great value for NYC lodging. It’s worlds better than overpriced chains. It’s in a safe, relatively quiet (for NYC) neighborhood with good restaurants & easy access to Central Park, etc.

The owner was helpful & available by text during our stay. The premises are clean. The beds were comfortable (not too hard, yay!). The sheets had a nice feel. No evidence of scented products (yay). Each room has a refrigerator and microwave. WiFi worked well. Notebooks have house rules & helpful info for NYC visitors.

What we wish had been different:

1) When we arrived, the owner gave us keys and told us how things work at Margot. But he kept talking even after two of us said we were exhausted from travel and needed to go eat immediately. We had no interest in museums, bike rentals, etc. When he told us, "Just five more minutes," we sat there dazed until he finished. We wish he'd graciously sent us on our way when we didn't want that info. (We read a similar complaint in another Margot review.)

2) Our bed had 4 pillows. But 2 had decorative shams and no pillowcases. I texted the owner, but had to use a towel until housekeeping brought pillowcases the next day.

3) If you are sound-sensitive, choose the top-floor room in the back of the house. Then you won't be awakened late at night as we were by people tromping on the noisy wooden floors above. We heard almost no street noise.

4) If you need a cold sleeping room, note that the owner wants the AC off when guests leave for the day. On a hot NYC day, it takes hours to re-cool the room for sleeping. The ceiling fans did not work in our room or our friends' room.

5) The last night, our friends refrigerated several meals we'd purchased for the long trip home. But the refrigerator was loose (the owner said maybe the housekeeper did it) and we had to throw out all our food. The too few electrical outlets and didn't make great contact.

Room Tip: Quietest room is top floor, back of building.
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sherylcatmom
Reviewed 3 September 2015

The host is very kind and the location (in Upper East Side of Manhattan) is well served by public transport. A good stay for a week to visit NYC. Rooms have all the amenities and an acctractive design. I recommend it to everybody.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank MarcoDonna
Reviewed 25 July 2015

I spent 2 weeks here and didn't want to leave! I still want to go back, I loved the area. Being more of a non-tourist, I wanted to spend time in a neighborhood rather than the city center of hustle and bustle. This place was perfect. Felt like I really lived in East Harlem for a while, the area is interesting and close to subways and anything that you need. Todd was exceptional at making me feel welcome and at home, lots of tips, nice chatting and anything else I needed he offered his email/phone number. As most of the reviews will state, it is an older building so there is a lot of creaking and door noises, it is tastefully decorated in old world charm. I stayed in a room at the rear of the hotel, and had no problem at all with any noise... and slept very comfortably. Even with the a/c on all night (which was loud), but I didn't find it an issue.
I did love the interesting neighborhood, and not once did I feel uncomfortable or unsafe - I am a female, solo traveller and would return home on the subway late at night with out any issues at all.
It depends on what you want out of NYC, but you want no real frills, old charm and the experience of living in a neighborhood of NYC... then this will be perfect for you.
I definitely will return here again, and Todd, hoping to do that in a few more weeks on my route back to Australia :) Thanks for everything.
Oh, and free wi-fi was great!

Room Tip: You might want a room at the rear of the hotel if a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo