See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 October 2015

MGH is standard housing in a substantial old building: nothing fancy, thin bed pillows, thinner [one-ply] toilet paper, and a tiny TV. Daily maid service is not provided. Not a B&B, because breakfast is not served, though a microwave, coffee supplies, and a small refrigerator are provided. This 3-story row house is located on busy Lexington Avenue in East Harlem, so pick a room away from the street if you wish to sleep. The area is slowly gentrifying, so decent restaurants are popping up, including Lexington Social one block south and breakfast/coffee spot Bosie Bakery on 2nd Avenue.

Room Tip: Avoid street-side rooms, such as #5 on the third floor, unless you are a very heavy sleeper.
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2015

Margot Guest House is a great value for NYC lodging. It’s worlds better than overpriced chains. It’s in a safe, relatively quiet (for NYC) neighborhood with good restaurants & easy access to Central Park, etc.

The owner was helpful & available by text during our stay. The premises are clean. The beds were comfortable (not too hard, yay!). The sheets had a nice feel. No evidence of scented products (yay). Each room has a refrigerator and microwave. WiFi worked well. Notebooks have house rules & helpful info for NYC visitors.

What we wish had been different:

1) When we arrived, the owner gave us keys and told us how things work at Margot. But he kept talking even after two of us said we were exhausted from travel and needed to go eat immediately. We had no interest in museums, bike rentals, etc. When he told us, "Just five more minutes," we sat there dazed until he finished. We wish he'd graciously sent us on our way when we didn't want that info. (We read a similar complaint in another Margot review.)

2) Our bed had 4 pillows. But 2 had decorative shams and no pillowcases. I texted the owner, but had to use a towel until housekeeping brought pillowcases the next day.

3) If you are sound-sensitive, choose the top-floor room in the back of the house. Then you won't be awakened late at night as we were by people tromping on the noisy wooden floors above. We heard almost no street noise.

4) If you need a cold sleeping room, note that the owner wants the AC off when guests leave for the day. On a hot NYC day, it takes hours to re-cool the room for sleeping. The ceiling fans did not work in our room or our friends' room.

5) The last night, our friends refrigerated several meals we'd purchased for the long trip home. But the refrigerator was loose (the owner said maybe the housekeeper did it) and we had to throw out all our food. The too few electrical outlets and didn't make great contact.

Room Tip: Quietest room is top floor, back of building.
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sherylcatmom
Reviewed 3 September 2015

The host is very kind and the location (in Upper East Side of Manhattan) is well served by public transport. A good stay for a week to visit NYC. Rooms have all the amenities and an acctractive design. I recommend it to everybody.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank MarcoDonna
Reviewed 25 July 2015

I spent 2 weeks here and didn't want to leave! I still want to go back, I loved the area. Being more of a non-tourist, I wanted to spend time in a neighborhood rather than the city center of hustle and bustle. This place was perfect. Felt like I really lived in East Harlem for a while, the area is interesting and close to subways and anything that you need. Todd was exceptional at making me feel welcome and at home, lots of tips, nice chatting and anything else I needed he offered his email/phone number. As most of the reviews will state, it is an older building so there is a lot of creaking and door noises, it is tastefully decorated in old world charm. I stayed in a room at the rear of the hotel, and had no problem at all with any noise... and slept very comfortably. Even with the a/c on all night (which was loud), but I didn't find it an issue.
I did love the interesting neighborhood, and not once did I feel uncomfortable or unsafe - I am a female, solo traveller and would return home on the subway late at night with out any issues at all.
It depends on what you want out of NYC, but you want no real frills, old charm and the experience of living in a neighborhood of NYC... then this will be perfect for you.
I definitely will return here again, and Todd, hoping to do that in a few more weeks on my route back to Australia :) Thanks for everything.
Oh, and free wi-fi was great!

Room Tip: You might want a room at the rear of the hotel if a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo
4  Thank Cindy E
Reviewed 20 July 2015

Staying at Margot Guest House gives you an opportunity to spend time in an authentic neighborhood in the Upper East Side of Manhattan - much more interesting than a clinical hotel experience! Walk out the front door of this lovely old brownstone terrace and say hello to friendly locals, shop at the supermarket and buy take out from the many eateries along Lexington. The subway is only minutes away to take you down or uptown, as is the cross bus which takes you to Upper West Side across Central Park. Todd is a genial host with lots of tips for eating and getting around, as well state of the nation commentary which introduced me to lots of facts about US history and politics. Once you have checked in, he leaves you to get on with your plans, but is only a phone call/text away if you need assistance. It is not like a hotel with a fully staffed reception desk at all. The Guest House is very stylish but practical. I had a lovely quiet room 2 at the back, on the ground floor - you climb a stoop of steps to get to the front door. My room was generous in size, had a comfortable bed, table and chairs, ensuite bathroom and kitchenette with sink, microwave, coffeemaker and crockery, plus fridge and airconditioner for the room. Interesting decor of French posters and African masks. Large windows opened to backyard views and trees. Wifi was reliable.As a single female traveller I felt very comfortable and safe. Even coming back from a concert in Central Park after 11 I felt safe walking and subwaying - people were out and about as it was Summer. The Guest House is only blocks from Madison and 5th Ave and the start of the Museum mile. And the lovely Conservatory Gardens in Central Park. I highly recommend this Guest House for its comfort and amenity, great value, friendly host and if you want to stay in an interesting Manhattan neighbourhood but not too far away from the "downtown" sights.

Room Tip: Room 2 at back overlooks gardens-quiet.Front rooms might be a little noisy as the subway runs underground under Lexington Ave. No elevator.
Stayed: June 2015, travelled solo