“Awesome store!”

The Evolution Store
Ranked #64 of 892 Shopping in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: The Evolution Store brings the wonders of the natural world to urban environments, enabling our customers to create meaningful, lasting connections with strange and beautiful objects, shared with them by curious people. Every day at Evolution begins and ends with progress. A landmark in Manhattan's SoHo art district from 1993-2016, and in Greenwich Village since, The Evolution Store is NYC's premiere retail destination for science and natural history collectibles, artifacts, gifts, and home furnishings. Our store offers a museum quality atmosphere creating a unique and intimate shopping experience.
Reviewed 12 May 2017

This has always been my favorite store in New York. It feels so weird with the taxidermy, bones, and other things, but it's just the right type of weird. It is overpriced, so I mostly just like to window shop, but it's still good for a visit.

All reviews
"nyc"
in 7 reviews
"rocks"

Reviewed 4 July 2016

I first became familiar with this type of shop after visiting Paxton Gate in SF. Very cool spot for taxidermy and some other oddities. Even if you aren't buying anything it's cool to come in and look. Come see a stuffed two headed calf...NO CHARGE!

- Ryan MacNamara, Stamford CT

Reviewed 27 June 2016

Apparently the store has moved recently and the pictures travelers have posted are from the old location. This location is seems to be like something you would find in a mall. It's much smaller than I expected, and I'm not sure how prices are determined on items that they carry, but most are pretty high and curious if they sell enough of these high end items to pay the rent - but it's NYC so they probably do. Stop by if your close - but not sure it's worth making a trip for.

Reviewed 13 June 2016 via mobile

This store had some interesting items but nothing I haven't seen before. It was smaller than expected and overpriced. However, I still enjoyed my visit as I love to look.

See more reviews
Reviewed 15 March 2016

I was extremely excited about coming here because I'm a big anatomy nerd and this kind of store doesn't exist where I'm from. The store itself was really incredible. I walked (a long walk) from my apartment in Midtown, through the different neighbourhoods and got a nice look through the city and it's different boroughs. The store has a million different fascinating items, I don't even know how to describe it. Curioso galore!

The only problem with it was that the staff were extremely disinterested. I was there alone and feeling a bit self-conscious being a nerdy Scot wandering around oohing at everything for hours, so when I went to buy a framed beetle and one of their t-shirts I felt massively awkward as the man serving me seemed frustrated, bored, and disinterested. He acted like I should somehow already know the process with which they sold things so he didn't explain a thing (actually he barely spoke to me). I asked, to make sure, that the beetle in the wood and glass frame would be okay to take on a flight (not all insect and animal specimen are allowed to be imported in such a way) and he was very dismissive, when he could have just been reassuring. I wouldn't have even minded his attitude had it not been such a simple thing to speak to me. I'd say he was just having a bad day but all of the staff were like this.

Anyway, the store is great and definitely worth a look, just don't expect to be treated like anything more than an intruder with money.

Also, if your bag is big it could be awkward because you might knock something over. Busy in September so must be packed in Summer. Even if you don't buy anything it's worth a look.

1  Thank Kyle E