New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

GreenLeadersSilver level
Malvern, United Kingdom
“Perfect spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2012

I visited the New Yorker in February 2012 and it was very very cold, i did not know any where could be that cold, the Hotel overlooked Madison Square we were on a high floor so the views were fabulous, the Hotel was friendly as all American hotels are, the bar was lovely, it was all no smoking which was great. The hotel was situated so every thing was in walking distance it was lovely.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,043)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

This hotel may have a bit of history and yes it is a great location but it is not a four star hotel.

The standard rooms are the smallest i have ever seen in any country. The bathrooms are very dated, baths are enamel and chipped and stained. The beds are ok but there is no room for any more than one suitcase and you have to use the very limted floor space. The rooms can not accomadate 2 persons in the same space at one time and there is no fridge, coffee maker or radio.

Sure the hotel is old but to to rate this hotel 4 stars is being dishonest as most travellers expect certain ammneties by star ratings. I didn't choose this hotel as i stayed here by a choosing the secret Expedia deal which i will never do again as it seems ti me that this is one way to get rid of dud hotels to unexpecting travellers.

There are far better hotels for the same price in the same area so buyer beware.

Don't be fooled by romantic notions of staying in a historical hotel this is not much better than a bed sit boarding house. Forgeddaboudit.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank WHO1961
Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

I have delayed posting this review despite the fact that we stayed at the New Yorker at the beginning of June 2012 because I thought it was fair to allow the hotel to address our various complaints first. We only finally achieved a vaguely satisfactory settlement on 11th September 2012 and only then after the tour operators had become directly involved so I do not feel it at all unreasonable that I should set out in detail the problems we encountered to warn others.

We travelled as a family with two teenage children and stayed there for five nights. My husband is very seriously disabled and we had gone to a lot of trouble to ensure that the room would be suitable for us and would accommodate the hoist he needs to be able to be put into bed and to use the bathroom.

The first problem was that, despite having been assured before we booked that there was a three inch gap between the bottom of our bed and the floor to allow the hoist to be used there wasn’t. In other words he was potentially stuck in his wheelchair until we went home. As he can’t move and is at risk of pressure sores this was a very serious issue. All the beds in the hotel are apparently the same and it has not been totally clear whether the fault lay with Kuoni, the tour operators, or the hotel but the New Yorker has not exactly behaved proactively about making amends since we got back.

I eventually suggested a rollaway bed which was provided quickly and efficiently by the head of housekeeping and duty manager who were both charming and prompt. But this was not a great start and it was only my suggestion which gave us a solution to what would otherwise have been an appalling problem. It also meant that we were not able to sleep together whilst we were away and the space to move around in the room was much restricted by the rollaway bed.

The wheel in shower room smelled of damp and the hotel itself looks shabby in parts. I woke up with a number of bites every morning and I notice that another reviewer made the same complaint about a stay at about the same time. Subsequently the hotel produced a bed bug report showing no infestation but it begs the question of what was biting me.

There are no safety/security boxes in the rooms meaning a wait at the front desk every time I wanted to access the box.

There is a major issue also with the front desk and the staff there. There was nearly always a queue at Reception to check in/access security boxes. I waited up to ten minutes to get access to my box and another ten minutes to return my passport. The behaviour of some of the front desk staff was curt and surly although some were very pleasant. One however by the name of Samira (as I subsequently discovered) was the rudest person I have ever met in a public service position. She was offhand and brusque with me telling me to “Get in line” if I wanted to access my security box. Whilst I was waiting (ten minutes) I saw her wave back a group waiting to check in as they were coming forward, barking “Get back I’ll call you when I’m ready”. No please or pleasantry. An elderly Japanese lady was trying to get some attention and she shouted at her to get back to the end of the line nearly yelling “Nobody is going to help you. Wait your turn!”

I was eventually assisted by another member of the front desk and when I was alone with her I asked if this person always behaved like that. I was told – amidst nervous giggling- “I don’t want to comment” but I did establish what her name was which I wouldn’t otherwise have known because she wasn’t wearing a name badge.

I saw the Duty Manager and complained and he said he would attend to it or words to that effect. As I was leaving speaking to him Samira gazed at me in a disrespectful and hostile manner. She did this again when I saw her the next day when she was again not wearing her name badge. In fact I never saw her wear the badge.

I set out all of the above complaints in a letter to Mrs. Lima the owner and operator of the hotel with my feedback form. I included my contact details but it was only when I took it up through Ramada that I was contacted by the hotel. It was however confirmed that Mrs. Lima had had my original letter but nothing had been done about it. Emails about all of this went forward and back for a long time resulting in the hotel offering - to start with - some free of charge accomodation "on our next stay". I pointed out we were not going to be visting them again even if we returned to New York so this was changed to one night's refund for rudeness and inconvenience but with a denial of any blame in respect of the bed problem. I was however told some time ago by the Guest Services Manager that Samira is one of their most highly decorated staff members!! I note that unflattering comments have also been made about her by other recent reviewers.

Our very helpful travel agent then did her best to help and as a result of this a further offer appeared to have been made by the front of house manager Matt Slippoy.I emailed him about the offer on 4th September 2012 The email was not even acknowledged let alone answered. A final settlement has now been reached but via Kuoni with no direct word from the hotel.

Good things are the location and Coopers Tavern which is excellent but if you have any kind of special needs or just want consistently courteous service from the front staff, let alone if you expect legitimate complaints to be resolved quickly then avoid this place like the plague

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Mary B
Ronny Y, Manager at The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel, responded to this review, 21 September 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

It is truly disappointing to me to receive such a negative review from one of our guests and I can assure you your comments will be addressed. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused to you while you stayed and urge you to contact me directly should you like to arrange another reservation with us.
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Ronny Yagual
Guest Service Manager
Ryagual@nyhotel.com
Wavre, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

This hotel is very well situated, in the center of midtown, near metro, train, shops, restaurants.
Could be felt as a bit "formal" but in fact employees of this hotel are very helpfull. The Check-out system is very practical. Very kind, pleasant, memorable stay.

Room Tip: Ask for higher and corner room. Newyorker Suites and convenient for couple with one or two children.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Review06092012
Yuma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2012

We stayed at the New Yorker hotel for 9 days in June. The hotel was really easy to get to from New Jersey Liberty (EWR) airport via the Air train that goes to Union Station. The hotel was about ½ a block away from the station. Getting around downtown was a piece of cake. The subway is on the corner. Times Square and Broadway shows were within walking distance.

Our room on the 35th floor had an outstanding view; the Empire State and Chrysler buildings out one window and downtown with the new WTC building. We never tired of looking at that view and took countless pics. The room was small, like hotel rooms in Europe generally are, but it was well-organized so that we could move around easily. Closet held both of our suitcases. We loved the Art Deco feel to the building. It was very clean and employees of the hotel were very friendly. We hope to stay there again!

Room Tip: The corner views from the 35th Floor were awesome.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ronny Y, Manager at The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel, responded to this review, 13 September 2012
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. There is nothing better than getting great guest feedback. We are happy to hear that our facilities and cleanliness met your needs and expectations during your stay. Our location truly is one of the best, right in the middle of everything! We hope to welcome you back to NYC soon!

Ronny Yagual