“Best Thai Food Ever”

Ranked #4,195 of 15,779 Restaurants in New York City
Neighbourhood: Noho
Neighbourhood: Noho
Reviewed 3 July 2018 via mobile

We came into town to help my daughter and boyfriend move and had to come here because my daughter raves about this place. She referred to it as her favorite restaurant in the city that she has tried so far. That left me with high expectations and Fish Cheeks delivered.
We ordered several dishes to share so we could try a variety of dishes. I was not disappointed with any of the dishes we ate. My favorite dishes among them was the crab curry, calamari and wings. You also can not leave without ordering the mango coconut rice for dessert.
This is hands down my favorite Thai restaurant. I will definitely return when coming to visit my daughter.

Reviewed 3 May 2018

Lovely, small space with a small bar in the back. We had an eight thirty reso and got there on time, Deciding we preferred a banquette, we waited 15 minutes at the bar, before we were seated.Our waitress was most helpful, guiding us not to over order too many plates to share. Food was spicy and delicious! Good wine list Atmosphere of fun and warmth. Can't wait to go back

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

Well crafted tasty dishes, lots of drink choices, occasionally specials
beautiful fun space
Open during the day busy in the evening

Reviewed 29 January 2018

I first found out about Fish Cheeks when I saw Chrissy Teigen post a Snapchat story on it. Then, I saw that one of my friends went there for dinner and she mentioned that they have $1 oysters during happy hour, so it was a done deal.

Four of my friends and I went for dinner with a 6 pm reservation on a Friday night. Happy hour is from 12-4, then 5-7, and this will get you $5 beers, $8 wines, $10 cocktails, and of course, the $1 oysters. Now these aren't your typical sad and skinny NYC oysters. These oyster are plump, and they are served with this green mignonette, which reminded me of a chimichurri sauce. Each of us ate at least a dozen, it was just that good.

For food, we decided to order a bunch of plates and share, since there were multiple dishes that we each wanted to try. Here's what we ordered:

Coconut crab curry - this was probably the best of the bunch. It had the perfect spice level, and they give a good amount of crab chunks.
Short rib massaman curry - not too memorable.
Grilled pork cheeks - good, but I felt like i was just eating thinly-sliced pork loin.
Seafood pad cha - this was so spicy but it was so good! I couldn't eat a lot of it because my tongue was on fire but if you like spicy foods and seafood, definitely get this dish.
Shrimp ceviche - the first shrimp I bit into was definitely a shrimp that had been dead for a while. It was mushy and unpleasant. I tried a second piece, which was much better.
String beans - basic
Clams - again, basic and not too memorable

All in all, I had a great meal. I'll be back for some happy hour oysters and to to try some of their other dishes. Fish Cheeks is probably the most seemingly authentic Thai restaurant that I've been to. They do not serve Pad Thai here. I love Pad Thai but most restaurants tend to butcher it. It's become so commonplace that not many Thai places can make it well. I like that Fish Cheeks doesn't serve typical Americanized Thai food, and sticks to their unique dishes. Can't wait for my next meal here!

Reviewed 11 January 2018

So on Christmas Day......my daughter and I turned to Eater NY reviews to find what was special and actually open on this particular day....and hence came Fish Cheeks! Shockingly it was packed!!!! We sat at the counter and ordered soup, Crab Fried Rice and Oysters on the Half Shell The Crab Fried Rice was TO DIE FOR! I'd go back just for that! The seafood soup was good but very spicy which I'm not into. Oysters very fresh and clean. Also had the Mango Ice Cream which was ok. But all in all this place was a great find!