“Hated it !!! LEFT AFTER ONE NITE !!”

Central Park Studios at Lexington Ave. Co.
Cork, Ireland
“Hated it !!! LEFT AFTER ONE NITE !!”
Reviewed 27 July 2011

stay away from this place....

it is not safe! dodgy area. no staff at hostel at nite!! locks on doors broken! we were booked in for 6 nites, we stayed the 1st nite and left the next day. the nite we stayed we were scared all nite. we lost our deposit but didnt care, there is no price on safety !!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HUSSEYM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2010

I was in shock when I saw the place, the area looked really rough and scared the life out of me. The reception was tiny and we could barely fit out cases in it. The staff were lovely and welcoming and helped us carry our bags up the narrow staircase. There were 2 communal showers/toilets and one had no lock on the door. Our room was ridiculously small, we could just about get our cases in the door way and had to take turns to walk around the bunk beds. There was no air con and the small fan in the room didn't work. It was close to a subway line and central park but that didn't make up for the place. I only saw one other couple whilst at the hostel and even though the staff were very nice I didn't feel safe or clean the whole time I was there. I wouldn't really reccommend it to anyone especially young travellers or anyone in small groups!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank lfg89

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Oxford, UK
Reviewed 18 February 2009

Whilst the hostel was easy to find and not too inconvenient with respect to the underground system, the whole experience was a little disconcerting;

- The room was relatively clean, but locks on some doors were broken.

- The area may have been safe, but appeared rough and made you feel unsafe; there were police and fighting youths at night.

I'm sure there are better located places, for a similar amount of money, that don't make you feel so unsafe.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank adamp_666
northeast
Reviewed 15 November 2008

This hostel was dirty, had tiny shower rooms and was located in a rough neighborhood. You are better off staying somewhere else. On top of it all - it was $100 a night!

• Stayed November 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank NEchk
Hamburg
Reviewed 3 September 2008

Hey,

I know I'm writing this a little bit late, just stumbled upon tripadvisor again because I'm planning our next trip :) In November 2007 me and my girlfriend (both in the 20th from germany) spent almost a week in the Central Park Studios Hostel. I spent A LOT of time before the trip searching for cheap and clean Hostels in New York, and this was one of only 4 Hostels fitting our budget (around 50$ per person/night) that didn't have bad reviews about cockroaches or bedbugs and was in Manhatten.
I reserved the place over internet because there was no other way to do so. I even called the manager of the Hostel before the reservation because I wanted to make sure we get the place (because it was just 2 weeks or so before the trip), but he couldn't give me any information about available rooms and told me I had to make a reservation through internet and then everything would be ok.

The Hostel is situated in a very quiet area at the northeast edge of the Central Park, the metro is located just 2 blocks down, so just a jump away from the hostel. There is nothing special around in that area.
When we arrived from the airport by metro the manager was sitting in his office and welcomed us quite warmly.

We expected the worst for this cheap price when we moved to our room, and we were quite astonished when the manager opened the door. The room was small, but kind of cosy and clean, the most important of all. The mattresses were covered completly in plastic under the bed covers, so they were in excellent condition.
Of course everything was very simple, the shared bath room and shower are small and very basic, but everything was in a very acceptable condition.
The room contained a double bed (good construction), a little tv with a digital receiver and an empty fridge, everything very simple. No special view through the window. It seems our room was once part of a big living room, we had the remains of a chimney at our wall :)
The most important is, its absolutly quiet there during the day and night.

The hostel is occupying the whole building, and there is a security camera on every floor, so we weren't concerned about security, although the door locks are quite simple and could be broken up very easy I think.

To get to lower Manhatten calculate ca 20min in total with metro.

If you are searching for a quiet, cheap and clean place to sleep in New York and don't care about big space or 20min in metro to get to lower manhatten, this is what you were searching for :) Another place I can recommend is the "Hotel 31", where we stayed just for one night because it was fully booked on the other days.

• Liked — cleanliness, quiet location
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple