All reviews hotel east houston lower east side katz deli rooftop terrace f line russ daughters great location around the corner bars and restaurants subway station new york bagels rooms are small boutique hotel walking distance closet space noisy at night
Reviewed 10 January 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights in December 2011. Overall it was a great place to stay. The location was really good..literally about 20 metres from the subway with plenty of bars and restaurants around. It was our first visit to New York and we didn't really know where to start! The reception staff were really helpful and couldn't do enough to make our stay as easy as possible. Breakfast was fine..nothing special but more than enough to get you moving and keep you going for a few hours. The only criticism I had with the hotel was not so much the size of the rooms (athough they were very small) but the lack of storage and hanging space within them. There were big areas of wall and they would benefit from a few hooks for coats etc. That said, this was the ONLY thing i could find fault with, and it didn't spoil the stay at all. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants an inexpensive, stylish, comfortable place to stay in New York!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms at the side or back of the hotel as those at the front willprobably be quite noisy!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Great (tiny) hotel with an address that is easy to remember. The room was extremely small, but modern, new, and comfy. There was a little noise from the street but that is to be expected. Located near plenty of pubs, restaurants, and a whole foods, I would stay here again to explore the city. The hotel comes with a continental breakfast that was pretty good. Free wifi didn't work at all, but they have a terminal in the breakfast room for free use.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank veffekt
Reviewed 31 December 2011

Stayed here on a quick trip into the city December 2011.

The price was amazing, for what you get. The rooms are comfortable, modern, with that "design" feel. The rooms are very clean, and the bath amenities nice. The hotel opened in 2007, so things still work. And the location is great, close to Soho, and with the F train subway at the door.

Plus, the free continental breakfast is nice (but the yogurt was expired... likely just an oversight).

My only complaint was the free WiFi. It didn't work, and despite asking 4 different employees about it, and them resetting it, it never worked! I was left having to steal WiFi from an unsecured network in the area, which was spotty at best.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor, back of building... I've heard the front and lower can get noisy.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank worldtravelto_11
Reviewed 27 December 2011

I stayed here in March 2011 having previously stayed down the street at the Gem - Soho in 2010. I was torn as to which hotel to stay in, as with the time before, I wanted to stay on East Houston Street and it was just a case as to which was cheaper at the time plus the Trip Advisor rating. Excellent location, a short stroll away from the 2nd Ave subway station and a great bar, The National Underground a door or so away - I honestly never imagined I could get a hotel of this quality for the price I paid, with the location, the breakfast and the roof terrace. Not to mention the staff were so helpful - there was a mix up with my pick up time and so after they had already stored my bag I had to ask them to store it again for another 2 hours before I could be picked up - they didn't complain and I didn't notice until the second time that the gentleman who brought my bag to me was the Hotel Manager, who took the time to speak and ask me about my stay. The rooms were excellent, the only thing was I felt the beds could be a little more comfy, it was a quite thin, soft mattress on a hard base - whereas the Gem was a lot more comfortable, however I would choose the Hotel East Houston over the Gem for all the added bonuses. Other than more comfy beds, a room safe would be a good addition and a drinks machine (coke etc...) for after hours, other than the water available in the basement. I'd say if there were two of you, book the superior rooms, but for one the standard room is great. If you want to nightlife away from the tourist areas and a hotel with all the features on a budget, stay at the Hotel East Houston, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Request a top floor room facing East Houston Street for a view of the Empire State Building.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank cw19_86
Reviewed 25 December 2011

A great small hotel in historic building. The rooms are small and the street is noisy....but who cares, it's NYC. Basically, in NYC, space is at a premium and everything is small & expensive, and everything is sort of dirty and crowded...but that's New York. So, if you don't want to stay in a small hotel room, and want everything clean and perfect, don't go to New York City.

For New York, the room rates are fantastic. Plus it's right next door to a subway stop. The best part of the hotel is the roof-top terrace - with it's amazing views. Also, the building is about 100 years old. So the building has lots of charm. So If you are looking for perfect cookie-cutter hotel rooms like the Hilton or other big chains, you will be disapointed. But if you want a real New York experience and are on a budget, it's PERFECT.

When I return the New York, this is the only hotel I will stay at.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo