“Underwhelmed”

Maxwell's Central Park
Reserve with OpenTable
Maxwell's Central Park is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7,392 of 14,586 Restaurants in New York City
Reviewed 5 April 2018

My son and I were recently on a trip to NYC. We happened to be in the Harlem area and decided to try to find a place in the area for dinner. We decided upon Maxwell's. We arrived after lunch time but before dinner. The place was empty except for 3 people at the bar. The bartender told us to take any table we liked so we picked one and waited, and waited. About 10 minutes later, she came over to ask if we wanted to place drink orders. We did that and ordered food at the same time. Took a while for her to bring drinks back and shortly after that a couple women came in and sat a few tables down from us. Shortly after they sat down there was commotion from their table and then one of the women was standing up with a napkin trying to kill a bug. Turns out the bug was on her friend and she brushed it off of her. Upon closer look, this bug was a large cockroach. We all waited for the bartender to come back over and she finally did. When I said there was a roach she said "I don't even want to see it" and left to go back into the kitchen. After that a guy came out and killed it. At that point, my son and I asked for boxes for our food to go. We'd lost our appetite. Her parting comment was "Sorry you had to see that, but this is New York. This is a big building and when we exterminate they run somewhere else." More than I needed to know.

Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

My business colleague and I decided to venture around the neighborhood to find a very good lunch. Our food was better than expected and the portion sizes were huge as well. The french onion soup was delicions and hit the spot on a cold day. I also had the greek salad (there was not grape leaves though) which was also very good. I would definitely revisit.

Reviewed 18 February 2018 via mobile

Maxwell's has a delicious menu and a very friendly staff. I've dined there a few times with friends after work. Maxwell's allow me to connect with friends after work for drinks, eats, laughter and good times. I love the Happy Hour/drinks and Bar Menu Teriyaki Wings - Mmm Mmm Good. I watched the 2018 Super Bowl LII at Maxwell's and had a wonderful time! I've also ordered the Saloon Steak Frites with Haricots Verts, (Green Beans), and opted for the whipped potatoes - delicious! (see photo).

1  Thank RachelleNYC
Reviewed 10 November 2017 via mobile

The place was overcrowded unsafe exit, music was too loud, and the food was not up to scale ....plus the service was slow and inadequate not a place to return

Reviewed 5 October 2017

Stopped in for a quick bite and a shot of Tequila. The food was adequate for the price and the portion were fair. Chicken wings were a bit dry. Onion soup was good. Calamari and Potato skins were ok. Nothing really wowed me, but it was ok for NYC. I was in the mood for Patron Reposado, but it was not on the list.