“Pleasantly Surprised, Wonderful Stay”

The Dana on Mission Bay, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #47 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 19 February 2007

As we have three children, finding a hotel that has standard rooms large enough for five is tough and limits your selection. I was able to book the Dana for Presidents Day weekend through their website. We booked a King room in the new section with a sofa bed. We drove down to San Diego and spent the day at Sea World the went to check into the room after dinner that evening.

THE ROOM:
We were given a room in the new section (as requested) overlooking the Marina. It was nice and large. I called the front desk and requested a crib (had forgotten to do that when reserving a room) and they delivered on within 15 minutes (which is much faster than other hotels have been). The "double" sofa bed was actually only a twin, but that was fine with us as we had brought a blow up air mattress for my son. There was plenty of room for everyone we could still move around. We had a nice balcony with a table and two chairs. The bathroom was spotless and really nice with a natural skylight and wall lights (no florescent lights). The toilet had a quiet flush on it and my son loved that there were q-tips and cotton balls in the bathroom along with the shampoo, mouthwash & conditioner (little things impress 9 year old boys). There were also two robes and slippers for use. There was a nice sink in the bathroom with a fridge and microwave (they even had a recycling bin under the sink). It was very comfortable and quiet (although you could hear the airplanes from time to time).

THE POOL
The kids loved in. It was heated with nice views, good size jacuzzi. The pool on the old section was also nice, although no views, but they had ping-pong and other games as well. The bar would put any drinks in plastic cups for you so you could take them to the pool area.

THE CONS
Not many, and we were there over presidents day weekend, and the were fully booked. No rooms available at all. Our room was not cleaned until 3:30 in the afternoon - which was a bit late for us as we left in the morning before 8:00 and were back to relax and clean up for dinner at 3:00.

THE RESTAURANT: BLUE OYSTER
Breakfast is available at the Blue Oyster in the old section, and definitely has a dated feel to it. The food was okay. Nothing great, but average hotel breakfast food. The service was slow (had to ask for things several times, including coffee refills). Would not go out of my way to eat there, but it worked for breakfast.

Would defiantly stay there again when we return to San Diego. The staff (excluding the Blue Oyster staff) were extremely friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with family
8  Thank juxie
There are newer reviews for The Dana on Mission Bay, BW Premier Collection

Reviewed 16 February 2007

We stayed for 3 nights. Using TripAdvisor to search for a comfortable, clean hotel with nice pool for my daughter to swim in. When we arrived at SAN, the complimentary shuttle to and from Dana had already left. So we called the hotel to ask when the next shuttle will come to pick up from SAN. She said, everyhour on the hour. We couldn't wait there that long so she told us to take a taxi and they will reimburse the fare (not the tip). When we arrived, my wife and daughter didn't look impressed because it reminded them of a motel or a bungalow. The bldg is mostly made out of wood except for the new section overlooking the bay. The staff was super nice, especially Kevin the bellman and Ana the mngr at the Blue Pearl. They both went out of their way to accomodate us. Kevin gave us a ride to Sea World after we missed the shuttle again. The swimming pool was great. Anyway, the rooms we booked thru Travelocity, came with free breakfast for two everyday. Priced at $169/night w/breakfast or $159 w/out (thru Dana). The only problem, it's a set menu of 2 eggs or pancakes or french toast, then 4 sausages or 4 bacon, then hash brown, and toast, then coffee,or tea or juice. So for the next 3 mornings that's what we ate. It kinda got old after the third day. Imagine if I booked for 5 nights. Yikes! If your going to order pancakes or french toast, you'll overload on carbs for sure because you'll have pancakes, 4 pieces of toast, and hashbrown. That's why the second day we ordered eggs to balance carbs with protein since we were going to get toast and hash brown anyways. The two breakfast was enough for the 3 of us to share. Back to the rooms. The first night, it was terrible! Travelocity advertised the rooms as new rooms overlooking the marina. When we got there it wasn't the new section but the refurbished. The room was small and cramped with 2 queen size beds. There was no vent blower in the bathroom except for a tiny window near the ceiling. My wife hated that since she had to follow right after my using the restroom. Guys you know what I mean. And did I say it was a small room? The refurbished room was noisy because of the wood structure, and wooden hallway. We were on the bottom floor so we can hear our upstairs neighbor with toddlers who kept running back and forth, and playing with the noisy, banging cabinets. Our room sounded like a bowling alley. The walls were not very sound proof. We slept terribly. Everytime someone upstairs had to go to the bathroom we can hear their footsteps. Even very late at night we were awoken because of the footsteps. The next morning we complained and told them we were checking out to another hotel (a brand name hotel). We also told them that when we booked the rooms it stated "new" rooms. We showed them the print out from Travelocity. So she said no problem she can give us the new section rooms overlooking the bay. The new section is really nice, roomy, quite and wonderful view of the bay. It's made out of cement and had an escalator. The beds weren't all what i've read in TripAdvisor. It was clean but average. By the way, the newly refurbished room we originally booked overlooking the marina was actually overlooking the parking lot which overlooks the marina. If an SUV parked in front of your room on the first floor, then you'll be overlooking the SUV. All the rooms use a pull-out cabinet that has a spring like action when pushed back-in makes a banging noise. So at one point, we heard our neighbors from upstairs, downstairs, left side, right side all opening and closing their cabinets. The sound proofing was not up to par. Parking is free and the location between LaJolla, Old Town, and other tour sites is great because it's situated mid way of these sites. The Firefly restaurant was above average, except for their $6.50 dry chocolate cake. I think it came from a Safeway or Albertson. My wife and I shared the "paella" which was excellent. Probably one of the best. (We're from San Francisco, CA) My daughter ordered cheese pizza shaped like a fish from the kids menu. She said it was the best pizza ever. If you like Mexican food make sure to go to Old Town. You can also visit the first Mission built in the area -Mission San Diego . In the future, I will put more weight on how many stars the hotel is rated instead of the reviews. The Dana is a 2 star Inn. I guess reviews are all relative to ones expectations. If your staying at the Dana, make sure to stay in the newly built section. If you don't, I think you'll be disappointed. One more thing, we we're told by a nice fellow from a rental car to check on-line for great discounts, before renting cars. We rented a compact car for $31.99 per day, The Dana was renting it for $39 per day thru the same car rental. But we were told afterwards by the person in the rental place to check on-line. We could have gotten the special for $24 per day (all unlimited mileage).

Stayed: February 2007
10  Thank ryan360guy
Reviewed 3 February 2007

The people at this hotel were friendly and very helpful. We stayed on the Bay View Side..I believe it's known as the Waters Edge building. This is a newer building and faced the Bay and the Marina. The view was spectacular and we had our own balcony here. The room was clean and neat and by getting a king size bed we were on the third floor so it was quiet. I walked 2 miles max to the beach- took about 15 minutes. The location is great and easy to get to everything. The pool and spa are nice and the deal we got included a Free Breakfast each morning at the Blue Pearl. So we actually got eggs, pancakes or french toast included in the price of the room. The Firefly was a nice little restaurant if you don't want to leave the property. I would definitely come back and stay here again!

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank debblabs
Reviewed 21 January 2007

We had an awesome stay here.....we booked for 4 nights and did the whole Sea world/ Zoo trip. My kids loved the whole experience

Our check in was delayed and a bit slow but the staff was very courteous the entire time. We traveled with several other family members so I was able to see all types of the rooms. If you can afford it you are WAY BETTER OFF staying at the new section. The view is great and we booked a bottom floor room with 2 beds and a sofa bed. We have 3 small boys under the age of 5 so the newer section was a lot nicer due to the larger room and each has its own balcony. I selected the bottom floor because the patio had a small gate around it with its own private gate to exit your room onto the marina side. This afforded me extra peace of mind that my 3 year old would not push a chair to the rail and jump over the private balcony. My husband also had a bungee cord in the car and we just tied that around the latch of the patio gate which kept my little ones safe inside our room area.

The service at the Dana is excellent...I felt like royalty because any time I called the front desk or room service ...they addressed me as Ms. Hunt before I even identified myself. The only problem I did encounter was when the crib I requested came the man set it up in a flash and once he left I saw a jagged broken wood spoke that would have surely caused loss of an eye or worse...when I called they rushed over a playpen instead...which wasnt as good as a crib...but my baby seemed fine once I used our own bedding. ALSO THE ROOMS NEED MORE LIGHTING...VERY DARK. But newer nonetheless. THE DANA NEEDS TO CHECK UP ON THEIR MAID SERVICE...SHE COULD HAVE DONE A WAY BETTER JOB AT TIDYING UP.

The restaraunt food was very good at the Blue Pearl....perfect for families trekking off to Sea World...they even have an aquarium with all the Nemo fish inside it that my boys flipped out over. BE SURE TO CHECK FOR OTHER RATE PACKAGES ON THIS SITE THAT OFFER THE BED AND BREAKFAST SPECIAL.. wE ORIGINALLY booked thru the hotel site ...then I noticed a better rate with breakfast at the restaraunt included at the same price...I emailed Becky at the hotel ..she was awesome and she granted us the same rate with breakfasts included. The portions were HUGE and we just spit it with our younger kids with plenty to spare.

WE spent $199 a night with 2 breakfast passes each morning thru the hotel...it was a great stay! If you need another hotel choice to consider...I was looking into the Bahia...I saw it across the bay from our patio room and it looked really nice on the beach room side. Also they have a fun looking old fasioned ferry boat that cruises the bay every night thru that hotel...we enjoyed watching it from our room and could hear all the disco music and lights going as it paddled by..we wished we were on that dancing and having a cocktail but had too many kids with us :)

Stayed: January 2007
3  Thank My3sonsMom
Reviewed 21 January 2007

I loved this hotel. I have really nothing negative to say about this hotel. The staff was above average, always willing to help you and make you feel comfortable. Our room was great. Had everything we need, very good bed, very clean, many extra's and a good view on the marina. The pool was also good. There is a jacuzzi. And there is a towel service at the pool. And a lunch ordering service.

The Firefly is one of the two restaurants at the hotel. It's a trendy restaurant and the food was above average!

The hotel is close to Sea Word. A free bus is going to and from Sea World a couple of times a day.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank Nelleke