“Very nice stay at the Dana”

The Dana on Mission Bay, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #48 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 14 April 2006

My family stayed at the new bay view suites. We wanted the room, and our suite was very roomy. Very nice with a patio overlooking the harbor. We had a den with a tv and sofa sleeper, small frig and micowave and bedroom area with two beds and second tv. No complaints, none at all. Even the soaps and shampoos are top of the line. I asked for extra pillows and towels, they were brought within 10 minutes. Rooms were clean, modern, and stylish. pools looked nice and I used the convenient laundromat. We ate at the firefly twice, and I recommend it highly. Everything convenient and close to the rooms. No extra parking charge. The concierge and I became buddies, he was extremely nice and helpful. We bought our tickets from him for the zoo, and he gave us directions where ever we needed to go. If he didn't know something, he checked on the internet right then, or made phone calls, he even had a book or restaurant menus. I believe his first name was look, and can't remember his last name. Mission beach was not for us although the ocean was beautiful, not our crowd after staying in Laguna and viewing La Jolla beach. Every place we went was close by, 10 minutes or less. We took the trolley tour, great idea! and went to sea port village and took some of the most beautiful pictures. One of the most picturesque places I've ever been to. We ate breakfast at Busters. The food was great and our server was wonderful, can't remember his name.
Recommend a rental car, wonderful trip, loved California. Thank you Dana Inn for a vacation my family will remember forever.

• Stayed: April 2006
7  Thank merrytime
Write a ReviewReviews (2,469)

Reviewed 7 April 2006

My stay at The Dana from March 24-26 was fine. I stayed in the newer Bayview rooms which have a beautiful view of the harbor. I saw the older rooms which were okay and a little dark, but still pricey. There is a Hyatt across the street (not on the bay, I don't think).

The location is nice for boating and walking or jogging as it's on a jogging path which runs parallel to the water. There is a small grocery/convenience store within walking distance.

The nicest surprises were the two restaurants on the property. Our dinner at the Blue Pearl was very good and the Firefly bar/restaurant was delicious (especially for lunch). The two pools looked nicely maintained.

If considering a stay at the property, I would highly recommend a rental car, unless you plan to remain on the property. If the later is your plan, the shuttle to and from the airport should work fine.

6  Thank FS_Junkie_with_kids
Reviewed 6 April 2006

At first look this hotel is beautiful and you expect a resort feel. That feeling ends once you get into the cramped and old room. The room looked as if it hadn't been newly painted. Sections of the walls had been repaired and painted over with no attempt to make them look new. The shower was worn down to the grey metal-like material. The cheap vinyl adhesive tiles in the bathroom were lifting. Okay if you don't look too close!

6  Thank Maya02
Reviewed 20 March 2006

We just returned from a wonderful stay at the Dana Hotel in San Diego. We were in the area with my sons soccer team and several families participating in a tournament. We had a total of 8 families who stayed at the Dana. Not one complaint from any of them.

The staff at The Dana is very friendly, helpful and efficient. We had a couple extra requests and they were taken care of immediately. The hotel grounds are clean and well kept. They have security personnel walking around, too. The concierge desk is staffed with some very knowledgeable, friendly people.

We stayed in the newer area of the hotel, in the Bay View Rooms on Waters Edge. These rooms are large and all have water views. We were on the first floor, so our balcony opened right up onto the grassy area by the water. There were a couple chairs and a table on the balcony, too. The weather was cold & rainy so we didnt really get to take advantage of our ideal location. There are 2 pools, the one near the lobby and our room was very pretty. It had a nice large jacuzzi, which my kids enjoyed! and the pool was heated nice and warm. They have towels by the pool, too, which was a nice touch.

The hotel room (room 1109) itself was really nice. As you enter there is a closet on the right, and the bathroom to the left. A nice touch is the motion sensor light that goes on as you enter the room. The bathroom was spacious and beautiful! Dark slate tile & granite countertop. A ton of counterspace, as well as some shelves to put things. Tub/shower combo. Water got hot quickly and decent water pressure.

There was a small kitchenette, too. With a microwave, refrigerator, sink & coffee maker (with plenty of coffee supplied). There are cupboards to store your food items, but no utensils or bowls/plates.

Two queen size beds (not the most comfortable, but nothing horrible), and a twin size pull out sofabed. A table and two chairs, nice armoir with tv & drawers for storage. The room has plenty of lamps/lights but none of them get really bright. They had sliding plantation shutter doors, which were really nice! I want some for my house. We were very comfortable in the room! The tv had a movie channel and a Nintendo you could use (I think there was a charge). They had wired and wireless internet in the room, which was nice.

We ate at one of the restaurants at the hotel, called the Firefly. Its right by the pool area. The food was good, a little expensive, but good. They had burgers and fried shrimp, salads, etc and its also a bar so you can get a drink and sit by the pool.

The rooms on the other side of the lobby are the older, motel style rooms. The families in our group who stayed on that side enjoyed the hotel just as much as we did. They had harbor views and pool views. Some faced the parking lot, but no one in our group had one of those rooms. I did not personally see the insides of those rooms, but they said they looked like they were recently remodeled.

The location of this hotel is ideal if you are going to Sea World. You can walk (takes about 15 min) or its a 2 min. drive. They also have a shuttle, but it has only a couple of scheduled drop off/pick up times. There isnt any fast food nearby, you'd have to drive to that. Dana Harbor is right there, for boating/fishing/etc. Not much else within walking distance, but everything else is short drive. Downtown San Diego (Gaslamp area, etc) is about 15 min away. Hotel Circle area is about 5 minutes away. Its right off the 8 freeway and right off the 5 freeway.

Negatives: For us the ONLY negative thing was parking. If you leave and come back after 8pm there is no parking near the Bayview rooms. Its a good walk from the other parking areas, so keep that in mind. Check out the website for more info & to see the photos of this beautiful hotel. (--). It doesnt come up on the search engines so I thought I would include it for anyone who wants more info.

Oh, and NO I am not affiliated with them in any way, I just really wanted to give an honest, information-filled review of this wonderful hotel. I would stay there again in a heartbeat (but probably only in one of the Bay View Waters Egde rooms).

15  Thank LovesDisney000
Reviewed 11 March 2006

Stayed here with my husband and two teenage daughters for 3 nights in Feb 2006. The room far exceeded our expectations....it was nicely decorated, clean, spacious and had a small kitchen area comprising of a sink, microwave and fridge. We had a lovely balcony overlooking the bay. This room was in the new bayside area and was wonderful. The staff were friendly and helpful. I cannot fault this hotel in any way. Infact our only regret was not booking for longer as we didn't want to leave!

• Stayed: February 2006