“Great Lasagne and Ravioli”

Mona Lisa Italian Foods Allied Gardens
Ranked #681 of 4,963 Restaurants in San Diego
Price range: US$6 - US$25
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed 11 October 2017

First plenty of parking, very cute little restaurant, very clean, super friendly serves and great pasta. To start a large garden salad with caesar dressing also fresh garlic bread that comes with the meal. The marinara sauce was very fresh, I had the vegetarian lasagne, the spinach and mushrooms were fresh, lots and lots of cheese. My daughter had the cheese ravioli she told me it was very fresh and cheesy. Our server was very friendly and attentive, a fine dining experience at this family-friendly restaurant.

Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

I love this place. Very family oriented, like you are eating at home. Great food and service. I can't keep myself from ordering the Chicken Piccata - Large portions - share or take it home.

Reviewed 3 April 2017 via mobile

Went here with family and this is classic family Italian home cooking. Pizza was fantastic.

Every server and employee was attentive and friendly. We felt very welcome and comfortable.

As a visitor I am always looking for places like this that only locals know about. We were lucky enough to stumble in for a late dinner.

Reviewed 7 February 2017

Nice curb appeal - looks 'authentic' Italian (and is, I suppose), or maybe 'traditional' is a better adjective. Interior decor is a bit dated, but again, that kind of adds to the 'traditional' feel. I guess the menu is a bit dated too. I was expecting something more 'fresh' and with some zing, but I was off-target for what Mona Lisa offers. My Veal Scallopini was mediocre. They piled-on a ton of mushrooms (canned, sadly), which was a bit puzzling. Sauce was OK; Veal was good! My wife's lasagna was very good - again, I like to the description of 'traditional'. My son had a calamari pasta dish, and gobbled it up. I think it's safe to give it a 'good' to 'great' rating.

Now, here is my biggest pet-peeve: I love it when an Italian restaurant serves fresh bread with butter. But Mona Lisa's choice is... ...oven-baked garlic bread (like you'd buy from the grocery and bake yourself). And to make it even worse (for me, & my personal taste), they also served, with soup appetizer,... ...dry, chalky breadsticks :( I'm sure many folks like breadsticks, and garlic bread, but if your tastes are like mine, then to get the most out of Mona Lisa I suggest to adjust your expectations before enjoying a meal there.

Regardless of my complaints, I do appreciate the work, time & effort that the owners & staff put in to my enjoyment! It's pretty clear they have many highly satisfied customers. I hope you enjoy your visit too!

Reviewed 13 January 2017

What a great neighborhood Italian restaurant. The lunch menu is pretty simple - just pasta, pizza, and sandwiches, but the sauces are superb. Everything is obviously prepared fresh. We can't wait to go back for dinner.

The waitress told us the restaurant had just celebrated its 50th year at that location, and she was celebrating her 30th, having started there when she was 18! The place is practically an institution!