“Fantastic Restaurant”
Review of Calibanzo

Calibanzo
Ranked #1,247 of 5,482 Restaurants in San Diego
Reviewed 11 March 2016

My brother in law suggested that we try this place, because he had lunch there and found the food to be exceptional. He had the falafel and told me that it was the best falafel he ever had.

The restaurant does not have much of an ambiance, but the quality of the food and the friendliness of the staff more than make up for it.

I had hummus with mushrooms, an Israeli salad and a falafel plate with 3 small dishes of dipping sauces and a fresh off the griddle Laffa bread, somewhat similar to Indian Naan. My brother in law had the same thing, but in addition he ordered Kubbah which was also out of this world. All the dishes were freshly made and very flavorful. Obviously the cook did not skimp on spices and herbs.

Our waitress was a sweetheart, very friendly and attentive to our needs, and the owner came by our table several time to ensure that everything was perfect. We were offered additional Laffa bread, and additional dipping sauces. We finished the meal with Turkish coffee which was perfectly brewed.

When we got our bill, we were pleasantly surprised because our meal was very reasonable. I highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 19 February 2016 via mobile

I must say, calibanzo its the best Mediterranean restaurant in San Diego. I've been here 5 times and i LOVE the lafa bread with the hummus mushrooms. I always order that for appetizer. The shawarma (chicken) plate or sandwich its also delicious. And of course everything that you order from the grill it has a lot of flavor and tender from rib eye, chicken thigh to beef kabob or lamb skewers. My other favorite its the babaganush because it has that garlic flavor thats amazing and perfect. The server here its friendly, kind and attentive. I will come back for sure a thousand more times!
Thanks for always giving me the best experience.

Reviewed 2 February 2016

Amongst the 6 of us ( 3 couples) we tried lots of different dishes - and we loved everything, from the Lamb kebob, to the chicken schnitzel, to the salad variety (btw, you get refills on your numerous little servings of salads which come with the most delicious freshly baked pita like bread...
It's a family business, everyone is super nice, the place is clean, and the food is delicious. They also have catering, which we will definitely use in the future.

Reviewed 11 January 2016

Hubby and I were looking around for a place to eat before walking Lake Miramar. Took a wrong turn and found this place. So glad we did. The food is amazing. The fresh bread they bring you is to die for. Can't wait to go back.

Reviewed 27 August 2015

With so many Hummus dishes to pick from on their menu you can not lose, they are always the best we also really enjoy the Eggplant. The Chicken is always cooked to perfection and moist and tasty. The bread yummy and the salads that come with the Hummus fabulous. The waitstaff is a bit slow but they are sweet. Great for Lunch or Dinner.

Been to Calibanzo? Share your experiences!