4 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
LuxuryCollection
Expedia.comUS$224
TravelocityUS$224
Agoda.comUS$224
2,889 results
All reviews gaslamp district legacy suite signature suite horton plaza beautiful hotel turn down service street noise the gas lamp district beautiful lobby valet parking bottled water concierge desk corner room balboa park love this hotel convention center uss midway
Selected filters
Reviewed 27 October 2020

Very good hotel, warm room and excellent service....Bonvoy well recognize and the staff was very good. Great location with a lot restaurants, cafe around. important note, the hotel is very clean. My rate it was good

Date of stay: January 2020
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank LAX1882
Reviewed 21 October 2020 via mobile

Pros:
- classic old hotel
- lots of food options
- very clean
- good service
- comfortable bed

Cons:
- small room
- expensive
- homeless/safety issues outside hotel

This is one of the places I have always wanted to stay at in San Diego. The hotel is very old, but has classy modern upgrades. The room was quite small, but very clean and the bed was wonderful.

There are tons of food options within walking distance. I encountered lots of homeless, drunks and drug addicts while walking around the area. If you go out for food or drinks you need to be safety conscious, especially in the evening hours. Obviously this is not the fault of the hotel, but it is something guests need to be aware of.

As a platinum guest I received a $20 credit for breakfast in the restaurant. The food and service was very good.

The bellman ran out to the street to flag down my confused Uber driver. All service was excellent and as expected from a high-end hotel. It took about 10-15 minutes to get to the airport.

I would certainly stay here again.

Date of stay: October 2020
3  Thank Metalllica
Reviewed 20 October 2020 via mobile

Overall I think the finishings were nice — but they made it a point not to recognize my Ambassador status and would rather let suites go empty than award complimentary upgrades. To be fair they tried to up-sell me the suites at a “discounted” price... but I’ve already spent $20K+ this year with Marriott so that I can occasionally reap the benefits when traveling. Their suites aren’t even that special (no grand view / outdoor space etc.) so there’s no reason they should have this policy besides to be stingy. If other hotels in prime locations are offering up their $5K+/night suites, you’d think this hotel could at least make their $600-$800 suites eligible for upgrades. Wouldn’t recommend for anyone loyal to the Marriott brand.

Date of stay: October 2020
Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank PinkKT
Reviewed 7 September 2020

Excellent hotel. Best place for a downtown visit that provides a true historic reference and ambiance. We had a bridal shower in the Crystal Ballroom and it was amazing. The staff was so wonderful and made everything perfect. The food was exceptional. The Ballroom is beautiful and looks like a room you would see in Europe. Thank you to Lily and all the US Grant staff for a truly memorable stay.

Date of stay: September 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hayletraveler
Reviewed 1 September 2020

Firstly hotel is very clean and interior beautiful. Arrived on the weekend. Stayed a total of three nights. With Valet parking, one room service breakfast we will be paying about $1400 and naturally our expectations on experience were high.
1. The hotel is a minimum capacity so one would expect there to be every attention to detail as really should always be when one stays at a five star hotel.
2. We arrived to find mini bar fridge not working. (they replaced it immediately however it required a call.
3. There was only one bathrobe so that required a call.
4. We needed a luggage rack so that required a call.
3. Ordered breakfast hot and cold. Requested sugar. There was no sugar- (they brought up immediately -however it required an extra call when they charge a $5 delivery fee as the restaurant is closed (I understand) however $5 delivery fee and $6 tip you are already at $11 before two cups of coffee (which come in two paper cups with no pot and you still have to call down and wait for sugar.
4. We ordered 2 hot dishes and one cold- given COVID it came in plastic and a paper bag (I understand) however they put the hot food in the same bag as the cold- making the fruit soggy (again $1400 one would expect to put hot food in a separate bag).
6. My husband working in the room so I came down to sit in lobby -I have my mask (quite happy to do so) hotel all but empty so easy to sit more than 12ft away-no problem however I needed to uses the ladies room near the reception and they keep it locked so that required an ask for a key and a wait for maintenance. Then a bit later another couple had to use the lobby restrooms and embarrassingly had to wait for the key . Then another lady a little later checking. I asked can you not leave the lobby restroom open. A staff member working at desk but 4ft from the desk said they cannot because the homeless come and use it. I appreciate them working to keep the homeless out however- the are more staff than I can't count working in the lobby the reception is literally across from the lobby. You need a key to enter the hotel from the outside. The only entrance open to the public has a valet parker and attendant at all times. Again it is the small things that one expects to experience well in a 5 star hotel without having to call the desk or asks for a key and wait for maintenance when you would like to use the restroom.
5. I do not know the area and asked the concierge to recommend a place to get a casual sandwich within in walking distance. She did know and offered to google (which I did appreciate and said I was happy to google myself as many came up and I was just wondering about which she would recommend). She did not know but kindly suggested a generic chain (which I knew of) so I went about my search and on the SAME side of the road and NOT EVEN a block away was this excellent very well known to all sandwich shop (I asked a bystander at the light for a recommendation). When I got back I casually asked the concierge how long they had worked at the Grant they said years so I shared the information that for a less than two minute walk is the most fabulous sandwich and salad to-go in case anyway ever asks. Again it is the little things. Please note the hotel is clean though. If you are looking for clean during these times then with tax and valet parking and the current cheapest room at about $255 and internet at $15 you are looking at $320 minimum per night. For myself it is worth it to have a clean hotel however there are certainly no 5 star extras. Not even bin liners for the room trash cans-not even to start with when we arrived everything has to be asked for.

Room tip: Rooms are clean we had two queens small room however quiet (we were not expecting a large room)
Date of stay: August 2020