2,699 results
All reviews gaslamp district landmark suite horton plaza beautiful hotel turn down service homeless people the gas lamp district street noise beautiful lobby valet parking bottled water concierge desk corner room large bathroom balboa park convention center uss midway
Reviewed 17 April 2015

The staff in this hotel are extremely helpful.The hotel and the rooms are also stunning especially the lights on the outside.The beds are also extremely comfy and the staff provided a really comfy rollaway free of charge. Would recommend to any who is on a business in downtown San Diego or on a city break.

Stayed: April 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank katesandiego21
Jared D, Front Office Manager at THE US GRANT, a Luxury Collection Hotel, San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2015

Thank you for the praise Kate and we are happy to help and guide whenever we can. We look forward to welcoming you back soon! Jared, Director of Front Office

Reviewed 12 April 2015

Very nice property. Service across the board was excellent. Dinner in the Grant Grill was exceptional. We were on a budget so we only ate in the Grant Grill one time. Would like to have eaten there more, but it is pricey. There are plenty of other options within walking distance, but no other options within the hotel other than room service.
The location was great - right at the edge of the Gaslamp Quarter. Were it not for a mobility issue which limits my walking distance, it would have been a reasonable walk from the waterfront. Taxi ride from water front to hotel was $5-6. It is also located across the street from Horton Plaza and one of the Trolley Tour stops. The bathroom was updated - travertine tile on floor and in shower and honed granite counter top under the vessel sink. There was no bathtub in our bathroom - was not aware of this and would like to have had one, but the shower was large - enjoyed the rain head shower head. Bed linens were high quality - although I never understand why the sheets in hotels, nice ones at that, aren't fitted and don't seem to go over the end of the bed!?! My foot kept feeling the mattress pad. The bed was a 3-4 on a scale of 5 in terms of comfort. Not bad, but if it was a pillow top that was not noticeable. Pillows were very soft down - had to use 2. Minor downsides - The tall back chair in the room was not very comfortable. The carpets in the hallways looked a bit worn - in places looked as though they were stained.
Summary - We walked across the street to the Westin just to check it out and it had more foot traffic and noise in the lobby. It was so nice to return to the Grant where the lobby has lovely soothing classical music playing. Very impressive entrance and lobby. This is part of the Luxury Collection Hotels and one of the tours said whenever President's come to town, this is where they stay. They must be doing something right here!! If we stay in downtown San Diego again, we will stay here.

Room Tip: we were on the 4th floor on the side away from the Gaslamp Quarter. Other than usual street sounds (i.e. sirens and traffic) it was reasonably quiet. No noise interrupted sleep. Very adequate curtains/shades to darken room.
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LeaRhea

And we look forward to welcoming you and any other presidents back to visit as well! Thank you for the praise of the lobby and ambiance that we have created here and thank you for sharing your experience with our online community! Jared, Director of Front Office

Reviewed 11 April 2015

If you are part of the Starwood SPG program, I highly recommend this hotel. Jared at the front desk is terrific. Given a wonderful SPG upgrade. The hotel restaurant - the Grant Grill - is not your typical hotel fare. Wonderful experience. We all are longing to return.

Room Tip: The presidential suite has one of the coolest hotel bathtubs I've ever seen. Infinity tub with water draining down from the ceiling and a huge bathroom window overlooking the city and a TV just to the right of it. Very cool remote TV's go up/down by switch to be hidden to reveal city views.
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank TastefulTrekker

Stop you are making me blush! Our sincerest gratitude for your kind praise and yes we certainly have a special experience in our Grant Grill. We look forward to welcoming you back! Jared, Director of Front Office

Reviewed 11 April 2015

First, the hotel lobby and lounge area were nice and at a 5-star level. The bellmen and concierge service provided excellent services and they also have a gorgeous art gallery that had some extravagant art. This place has great potential and people!

With that said, this place needs an upgrade. Many reviewer's have commented on large stains in the carpet in the hallways leading to the rooms, but I have yet to see a good explanation as to why this has not been resolved. Why have these things not been removed or the carpet been replaced? This is unacceptable for a five-star hotel. Secondly, the smells in the hallways are musty and the lighting is very low for a not so pleasant five star experience.

The room and the view was nice, and I appreciated the decore of the room. At the same time, some of the furnishings need updated as the TV stand was peeling, and the faucet at the sink was loose. It just needs a significant investment to ensure that everything is of top-quality. I was okay with these concerns at the price point, but the hotel did not reflect a five-star experience.

Lastly, I was very disappointed at the fact that this hotel does not have a pool or hot tub. I've never been to a five-star hotel that did not have these amenities. I had to walk to the Westin a couple of blocks away to take advantage of a pool and hot tub. Again, not what I would expect from a five-star hotel. Yet, with the age of the property, I can understand if this is not possible.

This was a good hotel for the price, no question about that. And the location was good and enabling you to walk to variety of restaurants within a short distance. I just think the management needs to stop ignoring the concerns that are being voiced (I.e, carpet stains), make significant investments and upgrades, and increase the price to reflect it. I think that this hotel has the potential to truly be a five-star experience, but it needs work.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Curtis R
Reviewed 9 April 2015 via mobile

I was hesitated before booking .. As I read to many comments about this hotel , I was so scared what will I face and thank god I stayed in it ... Despite all the bad reviews I can't say anything more than I have never seen a place cozy and warm with a really well trained staff who make your stay amazing ...
They prepare your needs before you ask !!!

Love the attitude of the entire staff ..

The only problem was the window as I am a person who loves to sleep late but the sun light was going through the shades are not a blackout ..

Location is really perfect ..

Still one more night .. But I am really enjoying

Stayed: April 2015

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to overcome the fear you had! We are proud to have exceeded your expectations. I am surprised about "all the bad reviews" considering we average 4 star out of over 1300 reviews... but nevertheless, another positive one for the books! Jared, Director of Front Office