4,699 results
All reviews mission bay dave hopper exotic birds oceana restaurant banquet captain pool attendant the pacific ocean bay front tower room bahia belle great resort garden view bit dated parking garage sea world family vacation la jolla
Reviewed 7 September 2015 via mobile

Excellent location for play on the bay and Pacific Beach. Nicely appointed room that was recently refurbished with comfortable bed. Kids enjoyed the luau and easy access to bike rentals. Fireworks from nearby Sea World was an added bonus!

Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Brian C
Reviewed 7 September 2015

This is an older property with a good reputation. Heavily landscaped with a tropical theme (I think they were going for Hawaii vibe). Located on the bay- pm boat cruise; daytime water sport rentals and bike/pedestrian path. Everything is pleasant. The property feels dated yet impeccably cared for and clean. The concierge was disappointing- asked for a high end Latin/Mexican recommendation and got a few recos that were not up to snuff-- found something on our own though. I'm not sure I saw the value in the high rates. I think I'd rather be at a Ritz Carlton or high end boutique with better decor and newer facilities at these rates (there's no Ritz in SD as far as I can tell). The other hotels in the area nearby here seem a bit downscale- typical shore scene hodgepodge. My husband loves this place, so we went, but unless we got a deal, I'd try something else for the price. If you need a guarantee of excellent service while in San Diego, this might be your best bet though- I think the chance you're taking with the other upscale hotels in the area is uneven service, based on what I saw in reviews in my research. This place is old school- the management definitely cares what you think and wants you to be happy.

Date of stay: September 2015
1  Thank luxefox
Reviewed 6 September 2015

When we arrived we were given a 6th floor room with the view blocked by a palm tree, the front desk staff was very accommodating in moving our room to higher floor. The view of the bay and ocean was great and even though a block from the ocean you can still hear the waves. Great restaurant and bar on the property. The property feels very resort-like with pathways winding through the ponds and palm trees.

Room tip: Room above the 7th floor in the tower on the bayside have the best views.
1  Thank Dtraveller00
Reviewed 6 September 2015

We spent a week in San Diego recently and stayed at the Catamaran. We had a wonderful time! Our room was updated, and had everything we needed. The staff is fantastic. Luz, in housekeeping, made sure we were comfortable on a daily basis.
Our favorite meals were at the hotel - both restaurants. The grounds are lovely.
I will return and visit the spa next time.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Traveling CA, Manager at Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2015

We are very happy to hear you had a wonderful time at the Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa. Without our staff, we would not be able to provide the quality service you experienced during your stay. They are the single most important component of our organization, and because of this, we love to read reviews like yours where their efforts are acknowledged. As soon as the opportunity presents itself, we will take the time to recognize Luz for making sure you were comfortable on a daily basis during your stay. We are very certain she will be very appreciative of your comments, and we would like to take the opportunity to thank you on her behalf.

Reviewed 5 September 2015

We booked a last minute trip to San Diego when hurricanes ruined our Hawaii plans. At first I was upset but this hotel actually made me glad we changed our plans! It is amazing! Room was nice with a side view of the ocean off the balcony. The hotel staff was wonderful and helped us with anything we needed. The location is perfect, with the ocean one block away on one side and the bay right out the hotels back door. You can very easily walk to the boardwalk, tons of restaraunts, shops and of course a great beach. I recommend eating at Woody's, it was so good we ate there several times, one block to beach then one block to the right. The hotel includes so many great amenities that during our three days here we never drove anywhere. Great pool even though it was often crowded, free steam boat rides around the bay which were fun, and free morning yoga which was my favorite! After our stay here we drove up the coast to LA then back to San Diego, we tried to stay here again but unfortunately it was full. Nothing we've stayed at has compaired to the Catamaran! This isn't just a hotel, it is an experience. This place was the highlight of our trip!

Room tip: Overlooking the bay or higher floor in the tower, fifth floor had a view of ocean
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple